Suffering with physical symptoms of anxiety

In the middle of an OCD flare up at the moment but feels really different this time. Even when I'm not having any thoughts, I have constant physical symptoms of anxiety - heart pounding, feet sweating, fingers numb, restless etc. I often get these feelings on waking in the morning but it's pretty much constant this week and really horrible. It means I find it hard to eat as well. 

omg....I was just about to write the same thing Chelsie...my legs get pins and needles and the roof of mouth and its al day...this happened to me years ago and went but has come back...was given valium the last time but it didn't do much...I;ve last all apetite as well...the one bit I hate is I have a frightening feeling as well........feel real scared at times

Edited by Tulsas

Hi Chelsie and Tulsas

I totally sympathise with how you are feeling, it stops you from moving forward and leaves you feeling hopeless etc. I found my anxiety increased when starting ERP. If you haven't already may be an idea to try some relaxation exercises or visit your GP for advice.  I was given propanolol to reduce the symptoms, which allowed me to move forward with my therapy. Not for everyone but worked for me.

Good luck hope you are feeling more positive soon.

Hi Chelsie, just to let u know u are not alone in this, I have constant anxiety symptoms of some type even when my OCD has relaxed a bit, I think it's because I'm always waiting for it to strike or something. I don't know. It's horrible. Hopefully it will pass soon enough, just be kind to yourself xx

Thanks for the support - have been on propananol in the past - maybe time to ask for it again. Now it's the evening it seems to have gone off s bit, but know I will wake up to it again. 

Chelsie it may be time to seek help from your GP if they are understanding. You've been struggling all week and it doesn't seem to be easing.  Just having someone in your corner, listening to your needs may give you the strength you need to move forward.  Are you having CBT/ERP at the minute? if not may be you could discuss this too. Pleased you are feeling a little better tonight, try to focus on something you enjoy doing and if possible be around others to gain further strength.

Good luck x 

You're probably right - was hoping I could manage this episode on my own but not getting much better.  I've had 2 lots of cbt in the past - one really great, the other less so (not the fault of the therapist - just we didn't quite 'gel'). Part of the problem, I have to accept is my own fault. Paroxetine helps a lot, but I hate it because I end up feeling nothing (although, at the moment, that would be preferable!). Therefore, as I start to feel better, I tend to reduce my dosage.  This works fine until I start to feel anxious again and then, when I increase the dosage, it takes a while to start working.  Added to this, my dr gets funny about repeat prescriptions because the gaps between them are irregular and so calls me in for a review of medication appt.  s As my main problem is anxiety around contamination, going to the dr is my worst nightmare and so I put this off....run out of medication ..... It's a bad cycle but I have let myself fall into it several times.  Am going to do my best to avoid it again!