My Extreme OCD Life - Channel 5

Just seen an advert for a tv programme next week - My extreme OCD life. I think it was channel 5? Does anyone know anything about it? 

Interested to see how it's portrayed. There was lots of tapping and straightening in the short clip which plays into my 'your ocd isn't that obvious so it mustn't be ocd' thought. Trying to let that go. ?

Edited by Em00

It's a funny thing but, although I am comfortable reading about other people's problems with OCD, and looking to see if I might be able to help, I don't like watching TV programmes about OCD. 

This probably stems around concern for how it is going to be portrayed!

Fortunately many others don't share my reticence and they plus the charity make their feelings known to the producers, if needed. 

12 hours ago, Em00 said:

Just seen an advert for a tv programme next week - My extreme OCD life. I think it was channel 5? Does anyone know anything about it? 

Interested to see how it's portrayed. There was lots of tapping and straightening in the short clip which plays into my 'your ocd isn't that obvious so it mustn't be ocd' thought. Trying to let that go. ?

I think this is the programme is the reason we wrote this - http://www.ocduk.org/our-media-approach

These are some of the adverts they paid for, with stereotypical images.

http://www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk/news/production-company-searching-for-people-with-ocd-to-star-in-new-documentary-1-8528709

http://crackitproductions.co.uk/ocd-casting/

The interesting thing is, they were still recruiting into early June, and they have a two part programme ready to broadcast already. Hopefully they have made a very good programme, and their recruitment approach was the only blip. 

The reason the production people look for rappers, straighteners or washers is because it can be filmed and seen by the audience. The truth is, most of the compulsions sufferers do are mental and can't be filmed.

Just a reminder this programme start's on ch5 in about 35 minutes. Share your thoughts, good, bad?   Each story is of course one individuals OCD problems, so we have to respect that even if different type of OCD to our own, but does the programme do a good job to reflect the true picture of OCD across the hour (and both episodes). 

The clip I saw this morning was pretty good, seemed to tell the lady's OCD quite well, but focussed on the compulsions, so I hope the bit before or after reflects the obsessions and explains how that links to the compulsions. I just hope the programme does not focus just on compulsive behaviours. 

I don't know what to think. I appreciate a few of our followers have appeared in the programme, and so I want to pay tribute to them for bravely sharing their OCD with the world, that takes such courage and I they have my respect.  I hope they are all getting better treatment, and if they read this I would like to offer my help to assist them getting the best possible treatment through the NHS. 

But...

The production company did exactly what I feared, they wanted to make a programme about compulsions, not OCD. I feel they have focussed 90% on the behaviours and 'wackiness' of the OCD compulsions for their visual audience. It was clear in their recruitment that they wanted a certain 'type' of OCD for the programme. Yes they mentioned 'intrusive thoughts' and touched briefly on the individuals obsessive fears but fleeting mentions, and absolutely no focus on what drives the rituals, which is exactly what I feared during the recruitment.  

Sadly it shows the Dad giving so much reassurance (which I am not having a go at him, that's normal) but the voiceover never explained how that often reinforces the need for more reassurance.  No mention of treatment either? At the very end the voiceover mentioned one person was finally trying to  'manage' OCD, rather than 'treat' OCD.  One friend text me to say it's giving impression people have to live with OCD, they are right, it did.

I wonder if it had been better to show less people, and really tell their story, get to know them as 'people' and their life and show how OCD impacts on a day-to-day basis. 

I truly hope the second episode next week does a better job.  

Does the programme give the casual viewer a better understanding of OCD?  

Maybe, it shows the impact a little which is good, but I think it does more to reinforce false stereotypes of people with OCD checking and aligning things, rather than educate the casual viewer about OCD in general.     My marks out of 10... 4/10.   I will change this review next week if the second episode does a better job.

3 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Disheartening. Makes me want to read my movie script again to make sure it has those critical elements.

If you need a second pair of eyes, I am sure myself and couple of the team would be happy to glance over :)

I watched it. It wasn't *quite* as stereotypical as I'd anticipated but in my opinion really lacked enough discussion on intrusive thoughts and covert compulsions. That said, massive respect to the folks who participated. 

I think it lacked depth of the types of OCD that people suffer from and definitly focused on visual aspects that were obvious to viewers.

I have issues checking things are switched off (along with other aspects) and although it was in the show I don't think it accurately got across how it badly it can impact on someone.

I don't think it did a good job of explaining how multi-dimensional and multi-faceted it can be when a sufferer is faced with checking rituals and the time that eats up as well as dealing with intrusive thoughts etc etc.

I suspect it didn't do justice to the participants either.  One i recall was talking about social isolation and I reckon that there was more to it then the visual aspects that were shown. 

The family members were all supportive but what was lacking was an element taking about how it is hard for people to understand and accept such as family in some cases.  It is not something that any of my family are willing to talk about or accept etc.

I thought the second episode was this evening at 10pm channeI 5 but I can't see it advertised, any ideas anyone?

I'm Interested to see the second episode to see if more of an insight into treatment is given.

I posted this on the media page of this website but thought I would also put it on this chat, just incase one of you knows the answer.

I thought the second episode was this evening at 10pm channel 5 but I can't see it advertised, any ideas anyone?

I'm Interested to see the second episode to see if more of an insight into treatment is given.

I have spoken to one of the ladies featured in the documentary and she has confirmed that it has been postponed due to the Princess Diana documentary. It will now be aired sometime around the end of September.