What have you done today to make you feel PROUD?

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can all feel proud, because collectively we help to make this forum what it is. 

3 minutes ago, ashipinharbor said:

I t really is the best forum on the whole web, that's for sure

That's great to hear this feedback ship and others. I can't comment myself as this is the first forum I found and it has been truly great for me. 

6 minutes ago, taurean said:

We can all feel proud, because collectively we help to make this forum what it is. 

That's great to hear this feedback ship and others. I can't comment myself as this is the first forum I found and it has been truly great for me. 

First one I found too Roy, feel blessed.  ?

Edited by Emsie
3 minutes ago, lostinme said:

Thank you so much Em, I'm so glad ? I've done it, it's lifted my mood again :yes:

You are so welcome Lost. I am so so pleased for you. I'm so glad that it's lifted your mood again. Wonderful news! ?

Well let's keep the self-congratulation going by all looking to do at least one contra-OCD thing tomorrow, if family duties and personal circumstances allow. 

After all, resisting a compulsion a day will keep the doctor away :biggrin:

Edited by taurean
2 minutes ago, taurean said:

Well let's keep the self-congratulation going by all looking to do at least one contra-OCD thing, if family duties and personal circumstances allow. 

After all, resisting a compulsion a day will keep the doctor away :biggrin:

I was thinking along the same lines today Roy, facing at least one fear a day and also doing one thing that gives you pleasure a day :yes:

I went to see the new IT film today with my sister. My nerves were already on fire as i do not like horror films at all, but i decided to go anyways. I thought it would he funny afterwards and also it is spending time with my sister. I wasn't really thinking about the 'triggers' that might be in the film until i came across one- and one quite major one- harm. I tried my best to enjoy it but with my anxiety and ocd going mad, at times I couldn't. But i got through it ?

I have a question. It might be a silly one but hey ho. Can intrusive thoughts be about horror movie characters? Im often fine watching horror movies but then terrify myself for weeks after- i.e. getting a frightening thought they are following me up the stairs, leaving lights on to sleep (kind of in fear that they are there) & just generally trying to convince myself that they aren't real, that they are fictional characters. I didn't know if some of this could be partially down to ocd? I just sound silly... 

3 hours ago, Haayleey96 said:

I went to see the new IT film today with my sister. My nerves were already on fire as i do not like horror films at all, but i decided to go anyways. I thought it would he funny afterwards and also it is spending time with my sister. I wasn't really thinking about the 'triggers' that might be in the film until i came across one- and one quite major one- harm. I tried my best to enjoy it but with my anxiety and ocd going mad, at times I couldn't. But i got through it ?

I have a question. It might be a silly one but hey ho. Can intrusive thoughts be about horror movie characters? Im often fine watching horror movies but then terrify myself for weeks after- i.e. getting a frightening thought they are following me up the stairs, leaving lights on to sleep (kind of in fear that they are there) & just generally trying to convince myself that they aren't real, that they are fictional characters. I didn't know if some of this could be partially down to ocd? I just sound silly... 

Hi Haaleey. I believe this is less OCD and more just what the filmmakers are aiming for! Congratulations on remaing in the cinema. Scary stuff.

Remember folks small steps work better than giant leaps - it's a marathon not a sprint. 

We are dealing with a very powerful foe, and when threatened it will bite back. Be ready for that, prepared is forearmed. 

If it does, stay calm - remember it's OCD, not you - it is trying to convince you that falsehoods and exaggerations are true - or that your own true character values are in same way wrong ( relationship, sexual preference, paedophile, harm).

Simply being aware of an intrusion, then not connecting with it or compulsing to try and ease the anxiety - but instead noting "Oh that's just my silly obsession"  then refocusing away back to what you were doing, or to something beneficial and involved, is good for dealing with intrusions. 

But to tackle the beast and slowly but surely take the power and frequency out of intrusions will need understanding of how OCD works (the cognitive side)  and the practice of carrying out "homework" and structured exposure and response prevention - and that is where the full power of CBT therapy gets deployed. 

You can do this - says lostinme :cheer:, our cheerleader and inspiror. 

Edited by taurean

I had an appointment with the dental technician today and, whilst exploring options, I took the opportunity to explain how OCD affects people and how it can affect their willingness to undertake dental treatment. 

He was very attentive and I feel sure that knowledge may help him in working with patients who are sufferers from OCD. 

10 hours ago, taurean said:

Remember folks small steps work better than giant leaps - it's a marathon not a sprint. 

We are dealing with a very powerful foe, and when threatened it will bite back. Be ready for that, prepared is forearmed. 

If it does, stay calm - remember it's OCD, not you - it is trying to convince you that falsehoods and exaggerations are true - or that your own true character values are in same way wrong ( relationship, sexual preference, paedophile, harm).

Simply being aware of an intrusion, then not connecting with it or compulsing to try and ease the anxiety - but instead noting "Oh that's just my silly obsession"  then refocusing away back to what you were doing, or to something beneficial and involved, is good for dealing with intrusions. 

But to tackle the beast and slowly but surely take the power and frequency out of intrusions will need understanding of how OCD works (the cognitive side)  and the practice of carrying out "homework" and structured exposure and response prevention - and that is where the full power of CBT therapy gets deployed. 

You can do this - says lostinme :cheer:, our cheerleader and inspiror. 

:goodpost: Roy, important things we all need to remember :yes:

Wow Roy! Bless you! Cheerleader and inspiror :cheer:

1 hour ago, taurean said:

I had an appointment with the dental technician today and, whilst exploring options, I took the opportunity to explain how OCD affects people and how it can affect their willingness to undertake dental treatment. 

He was very attentive and I feel sure that knowledge may help him in working with patients who are sufferers from OCD. 

That's great Roy, well done :cheer:

On 02/09/2017 at 02:02, taurean said:

It's a good book Mike, you will enjoy and learn :book:

That's right, Roy. I've managed to borrow it for the 2nd time yesterday. One good thing or bad thing (depending on which angle you take) about OCD books at my library is, hardly anyone borrows them. This particular one (Brain Lock - Dr. Schwartz 20th anniversary edition) still has the "new book smell". Reading about Howard Hughes and how he was heavily incapacitated by his severe OCD and how his OCD led to his eventual demise really puts me in a reflective state. He was so delusional with his obsessions, he even got his assistants to perform compulsions on his behalf! 

I thought to myself, wow, his billions couldn't save him from his OCD while ordinary blokes like myself managed to break free from OCD. Of course, to be fair, nothing much was known about OCD during Mr. Hughe's time. It just makes one feel so blessed that we are at an era where OCD is a recognised mental/medical condition and proper treatment options are available. It also makes one want to keep doing the right things to stay free from OCD and at the same time go forth and help fellow sufferers where possible.

I also read about the story of a woman, who couldn't attend her mother's funeral because of her contamination fears. I found it very heart wrenching. This particular story really brings home the point how powerfully destructive OCD can be. I always thought that Love can overcome almost anything, well in this case "almost" is the right word to use.

The one thing that I am proud of today, is that I am going to donate all my textbooks from my varsity days to the library. I don't know how useful they would be to students today, given the internet and new updated textbooks. But at least I know they will be recycled should no one wants them. This is also part of my on-going practise of letting go. I realised that those books have served their purpose and they are now just hoarding space on my bookshelf. I should clear up the space and have new books such as those about psychology or mindfulness take their place since this is the knowledge I am currently interested in. 

2 minutes ago, taurean said:

Yes and it shows you understand the OCD thinking is false or exaggerated, and leads to the compulsive urge and an anxiety response. :thumbup:

Oh, good! I was hoping it got across.

Exactly! I'm beginning to see ocd's game more clearly, and I'm super stoked!

It's weird, but sitting with the anxiety makes me feel stronger, like I'm winning! Giving OCD a taste of its own medicine. Like, it would make me desperate, but now I'm making it desperate.

You know?

Edited by ashipinharbor
1 minute ago, ashipinharbor said:

It's weird, but sitting with the anxiety makes me feel stronger, like I'm winning!

By sitting with the anxiety, but reminding ourselves the OCD thought is actually false/exaggerated, we are carrying out ERP correctly. As we repeat the exercise, we should find the anxiety response begins to reduce - and, as it does, yes we are turning the tide, regaining some control.