What have you done today to make you feel PROUD?

38 minutes ago, St Mike said:

That's right, Roy. I've managed to borrow it for the 2nd time yesterday. One good thing or bad thing (depending on which angle you take) about OCD books at my library is, hardly anyone borrows them. This particular one (Brain Lock - Dr. Schwartz 20th anniversary edition) still has the "new book smell". Reading about Howard Hughes and how he was heavily incapacitated by his severe OCD and how his OCD led to his eventual demise really puts me in a reflective state. He was so delusional with his obsessions, he even got his assistants to perform compulsions on his behalf! 

I thought to myself, wow, his billions couldn't save him from his OCD while ordinary blokes like myself managed to break free from OCD. Of course, to be fair, nothing much was known about OCD during Mr. Hughe's time. It just makes one feel so blessed that we are at an era where OCD is a recognised mental/medical condition and proper treatment options are available. It also makes one want to keep doing the right things to stay free from OCD and at the same time go forth and help fellow sufferers where possible.

I also read about the story of a woman, who couldn't attend her mother's funeral because of her contamination fears. I found it very heart wrenching. This particular story really brings home the point how powerfully destructive OCD can be. I always thought that Love can overcome almost anything, well in this case "almost" is the right word to use.

The one thing that I am proud of today, is that I am going to donate all my textbooks from my varsity days to the library. I don't know how useful they would be to students today, given the internet and new updated textbooks. But at least I know they will be recycled should no one wants them. This is also part of my on-going practise of letting go. I realised that those books have served their purpose and they are now just hoarding space on my bookshelf. I should clear up the space and have new books such as those about psychology or mindfulness take their place since this is the knowledge I am currently interested in. 

Thank you for sharing this St Mike. Some very relevant important parts that are helpful to remember :yes: 

Its great regarding donating your old textbooks to the library for your ongoing practise, that's brilliant :yes:

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, ashipinharbor said:

I ignored anxiety/a compulsion. Not only that, I was able to see it as an ocd false flag, like see how the process/reasoning works, and we we freak out. 

Does that make sense?

:thumbup: well done ship:cheer:

2 minutes ago, taurean said:

By sitting with the anxiety, but reminding ourselves the OCD thought is actually false/exaggerated, we are carrying out ERP correctly. As we repeat the exercise, we should find the anxiety response begins to reduce - and, as it does, yes we are turning the tide, regaining some control. 

Oh, good! I'm doing it right! Distraction, while letting the thought be, is correct, right? The anxiety does die down, yes.

I feel so cool, strong, and proud! I did it! I wouldn't of before, but now I can!

1 minute ago, ashipinharbor said:

Oh, good! I'm doing it right! Distraction, while letting the thought be, is correct, right? The anxiety does die down, yes.

I feel so cool, strong, and proud! I did it! I wouldn't of before, but now I can!

:cheer:

5 minutes ago, ashipinharbor said:

There are two concepts here ship, separate techniques. 

Distraction while letting the thought be is refocusing - good to use on a daily basis till the intrusions ease away. 

In ERP you don't distract, you focus on the intrusion, sitting with it but seeing it for what it is - actually worthless nonsense designed to distress us through a lie or an exaggeration. 

It's the use of both these techniques that are the elements of the behaviour part of CBT. 

1 minute ago, taurean said:

There are two concepts here ship, separate techniques. 

Distraction while letting the thought be is refocusing - good to use on a daily basis till the intrusions ease away. 

In ERP you don't distract, you focus on the intrusion, sitting with it but seeing it for what it is - actually worthless nonsense designed to distress us through a lie or an exaggeration. 

It's the use of both these techniques that are the elements of the behaviour part of CBT. 

Ah, gotcha! Thanks for pointing that out! :thumbup:

Went out with a friend today, had a few drinks and a laugh, even though ive had this nervous feeling all day. 

Ive been at my mums all week whilst she was on holiday and im actually super nervous and feeling really uneasy in my own home? It's my first hour back here! 

Just now, Haayleey96 said:

Went out with a friend today, had a few drinks and a laugh, even though ive had this nervous feeling all day. 

Ive been at my mums all week whilst she was on holiday and im actually super nervous and feeling really uneasy in my own home? It's my first hour back here! 

Way to go! I'm proud of you! Why are you uneasy? Maybe we can help? No pressure, though!

22 minutes ago, ashipinharbor said:

Way to go! I'm proud of you! Why are you uneasy? Maybe we can help? No pressure, though!

Thank you Ashipinharbor! Last time i was here i had a major ocd attack which themed around harming myself- but was fine a few days after. I suppose im uneasy about that happening again and im also going back to being on my own. For a week i had other people around me in the house x 

I have been reading the gutsy part of the news - right at the top of my hierarchy of triggers :(

I like to reward myself for any particularly tricky exposures - so today I took a detour through the gorgeous Epping Forest on the way to the gym. 

I am proud of the help I have given to others this week - I have assimilated lots of knowledge over the years so it is good to share it. And when others report positive benefit, wow does that make me happy :toot:

16 minutes ago, taurean said:

I have been reading the gutsy part of the news - right at the top of my hierarchy of triggers :(

I like to reward myself for any particularly tricky exposures - so today I took a detour through the gorgeous Epping Forest on the way to the gym. 

I am proud of the help I have given to others this week - I have assimilated lots of knowledge over the years so it is good to share it. And when others report positive benefit, wow does that make me happy :toot:

Thats amazing Taurean. Well done you! 

You're advice is always so helpful & after reading, helps me to get through my day with ease. I sometimes feel like I am in the middle of a never ending battle- and your advice is always there to help ☺ 

42 minutes ago, Haayleey96 said:

Thank you Ashipinharbor! Last time i was here i had a major ocd attack which themed around harming myself- but was fine a few days after. I suppose im uneasy about that happening again and im also going back to being on my own. For a week i had other people around me in the house x 

I hope you're feeling less uneasy now. ?

4 minutes ago, Haayleey96 said:

Thats amazing Taurean. Well done you! 

You're advice is always so helpful & after reading, helps me to get through my day with ease. I sometimes feel like I am in the middle of a never ending battle- and your advice is always there to help ☺ 

Ditto! 

A massive well done Roy.

Your advice is always there to help, it's so true what Haayleey said. I had a very hard day on Saturday and you were there to help and support me. Thank you so much Roy. ?

Thanks both. 

Smartphones with Internet connections plus being retired is a good combo for doing this ; and often many other usual helpers are at work during the week. 

There was one time I wanted to help someone whose story I knew well: I was having a coffee in a street cafe near the world-famous Drury Lane Theatre,and checked the forums ; this sufferer reported that were really struggling, but I was not able to assist as I was having a day out back up in the City of London and about to meet a friend for lunch. 

When I logged in later on I was pleased to find that our estimable Canadian friend PolarBear had done the necessary :thumbup:

Edited by taurean
37 minutes ago, Emsie said:

I hope you're feeling less uneasy now. ?

Still feeling uneasy but trying not to let it bother me. I also just totally faced a few of my trigger objects! ? I was using scissors last week for a project and has left them on my desk. They made me nervous, i tried to ignore them but couldn't- i needed them out of the room in order for me to sleep tonight. I nervously picked them up, saying over and over in my head 'you're just putting them in the drawer' (where my other harm objects are) and i did it! I totally did it! I surprise myself sometimes ?

1 hour ago, Haayleey96 said:

Haayleey, that's great news well done :cheer:always be proud of your achievements :yes:

I think after spending a week in a house with others and then returning to your home alone it will be a little quite and probably for the first couple of hours you may feel a little nervous and uneasy. It's just settling back into your own environment so don't worry it will pass:)

1 hour ago, taurean said:

Well done Roy, your doing so well, keep up the great work we are right behind you :cheer:

The need to put such objects in a "safe" place is part of the OCD experience with harm OCD.

You did well haayyley - as you go forward in your learning you will move on from that but this is good and you faced right up to that exposure.