Propranolol for OCD?

Hello everyone :)

so, I've posted here previously about my debilitating symptoms, how they have progressively got worse and how I have been waiting for a while on the waiting list for referral. My OCD manifests itself in my thoughts and routine, I have to repeat what I will do that day right down to putting petrol in the car and what order they will be done In, and repeat this 4 times. Out loud if by myself, in my head and count on fingers if in company. If my routine changes it sends things into chaos and I repeat the new routine so much more than the original one. I repeat my routine at about 5 minute intervals for what feels like hundreds of times a day and takes up many hours. My routine stays the same every weekday, I get petrol on the same day each week, I do the food shop on the same day, particular bills get payed on the same day each week but I can't stop. I write this down as a schedule and as well as repeating it I look at the schedule constantly and if a task is done I then feel I can delete it and so on. I have a bedtime ritual where I have to first go to the kitchen, check all plugs inparticular the cooker and water heater are switched off, then I walk past the back door and have to try the handle 4 times to ensure it's locked, then the bathroom to check the toothbrush charger and shower are off, then utility to check the tumble dryer is off as well as the charging cable for my cordless Hoover unplugged, then its to the living room the check one particular plug is turned off, then to the front door to try that handle 4 times and off up to bed. 

I have have been battling frequent and more persistent migraines recently. I was today put on 80mg long acting beta blocker  betanol ( propranolol ) to attempt to prevent the migraines occurring. I took my first tablet today and have noticed I have not ruminated or compulsively checked my list or repeated my routine or anything. I have a feeling I will still carry out the bedtime ritual but that doesn't bother me as much as the constant repeating routine. Could this be the beta blocker  that has done this? I don't want to get my hopes up too early but something has changed today. As soon as I noticed I hadn't checked my list I did check it and usually when I do that after remembering to check I will start the process of repeating things again. But I checked, repeated it once and let it drop, that is such a big move for me. Does anyone else have any experience with beta blockers and their OCD symptoms I would be interested to know if this tablet has helped me.

After noticing this I googled and there is some evidence that beta blockers can help OCD and in particular anxiety. 

thank you for reading my long drawn out story :) 

Edited by xxsammiexx
6 minutes ago, lostinme said:

Hi xxsamiexx, 

I havnt personally took propranolol so I can't say if it is this or not? But with what you've wrote here it's obviously made a big improvement to you, so that's got to be good ? 

I hope so, just don't want to get my

hopes up too early, I can't fathom how a tablet can reverse years of worsening OCD. I'm hopeful it has helped others too and may make it more believable, only the following days will tell. Thank you for your reply :) 

Edited by xxsammiexx

Hopefully some of the other forum users will be able to give you some insight regarding this, sorry I couldn't be more helpful. 

You have to remember though that every one responds differently to medication what works for one doesn't always work for another. 

Keep an open mind and over the next few days you will see if it is this and if it is that's great news. 

Best wishes 

lost :)

This is so. I take propranolol when I have problems with anxiety that aren't responding to my CBT methodology, and it is good at helping with that,and reducing raised blood pressure - as,if I remember rightly, it suppresses the release of the stress hormone cortisol into the bloodstream. 

It's also good as, for me - albeit on a low dose - it doesn't have any unpleasant side effects. 

The brain is a complex organ; if the propranolol seems to have a beneficial effect for you on your response to triggers, all well and good. It might just be a placebo effect, who knows - but if you think it is helping, fine I reckon. 

Edited by taurean
8 minutes ago, taurean said:

This is so. I take propranolol when I have problems with anxiety that aren't responding to my CBT methodology, and it is good at helping with that,and reducing raised blood pressure - as,if I remember rightly, it suppresses the release of the stress hormone cortisol into the bloodstream. 

It's also good as, for me - albeit on a low dose - it doesn't have any unpleasant side effects. 

The brain is a complex organ; if the propranolol seems to have a beneficial effect for you on your response to triggers, all well and good. It might just be a placebo effect, who knows - but if you think it is helping, fine I reckon. 

Thank you for your reply. Glad to hear it helps you too even if it's only somewhat. 

I have also also wondered if it's placebo too, but since I did not know that propranolol helps OCD till I figured I had not acted on my triggers and researched the tablet after I am still unsure, as I did not know it helps upon taking the tablet. The following days will tell all for me. I do not expect it to disappear that would be a Miricle. But If it lessens as much as it has today that's good enough for me :) 

Propranolol is used a lot for anxiety, it's a good replacement tablet for the likes of diazepam etc, it lowers blood pressure and other physical symptoms of anxiety. It could be that u generally felt so much less anxious on the tablet that u didn't feel the physical drive to check ur lists etc. Sometimes I wonder if OCD is like the chicken or the egg, what came first, the anxiety or the OCD? The reason I say this is because I actually had anxiety for a while with no apparent cause, then I got an intrusive thought and latched into it because I was so anxious and boom the OCD became really severe! I also find that when my physical anxiety lessens, the less I'm bothered by OCD! X

37 minutes ago, Wonderer said:

Propranolol is used a lot for anxiety, it's a good replacement tablet for the likes of diazepam etc, it lowers blood pressure and other physical symptoms of anxiety. It could be that u generally felt so much less anxious on the tablet that u didn't feel the physical drive to check ur lists etc. Sometimes I wonder if OCD is like the chicken or the egg, what came first, the anxiety or the OCD? The reason I say this is because I actually had anxiety for a while with no apparent cause, then I got an intrusive thought and latched into it because I was so anxious and boom the OCD became really severe! I also find that when my physical anxiety lessens, the less I'm bothered by OCD! X

I'm the exact same Wonderer.

My GP has prescribed me propranolol to take whenever I'm feeling physically anxious too. I haven't felt the need to take any yet but if/when I do it'll be interesting to see if it has any effect on my OCD.

I'm on the 80mg slow release tablet, I take it every morning, it hasn't taken all the feelings away but it definitely lessened the intensity of full blown panic attacks and I feel more able to handle a panic attack now. I haven't taken a diazepam tablet that I was prescribed for emergenicies only, ever since I've been on propranolol and that's well over a year now!xx

I have propananol to take as needed to help with the physical symptoms of anxiety.  I only take occasionally, but it is useful for this. As a teenager/young adult I used to get a rash and my fingers and lips used to swell when I had an increase in adrenaline in my body (e.g. When playing sport, feeling nervous, excited etc). I was given propananol for this too. I haven't noticed it having effect on OCD for me, though. 

17 hours ago, Wonderer said:

Is it proven that anxiety can lead to OCD?

I have suffered anxiety since a very young age, and now have OCD. When my OCD improves, the anxiety tends to stay. I fight one then the other rears its ugly head!?

Or do they just come hand in hand?

Edited by Gary.p
4 minutes ago, Gary.p said:

Is it proven that anxiety can lead to OCD?

I have suffered anxiety since a very young age, and now have OCD. When my OCD improves, the anxiety tends to stay. I fight one then the other rears its ugly head!?

Or do they just come hand in hand?

Hi Gary, I absolutely have no scientific eveidence to suggest that anxiety leads to OCD, I was just talking from my own experience, but it is not uncommon for anxiety disorders to overlap, for example, I have generalised anxiety a lot of the time, I also got panic disorder caused by my OCD too. Thing is, the treatment is all basically the same so we can use CBT to help with all our anxiety symptoms!xx

2 hours ago, Wonderer said:

Hi Gary, I absolutely have no scientific eveidence to suggest that anxiety leads to OCD, I was just talking from my own experience, but it is not uncommon for anxiety disorders to overlap, for example, I have generalised anxiety a lot of the time, I also got panic disorder caused by my OCD too. Thing is, the treatment is all basically the same so we can use CBT to help with all our anxiety symptoms!xx

There are definitely similarities in all anxiety related orders. I have been attending a Triumph over phobia group , and was amazed how people with different phobias and OCD, have matching symptoms. 

Im having my first cbt treatment for over 12 years on Monday and really looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, Gary.p said:

There are definitely similarities in all anxiety related orders. I have been attending a Triumph over phobia group , and was amazed how people with different phobias and OCD, have matching symptoms. 

Im having my first cbt treatment for over 12 years on Monday and really looking forward to it.

Yeah absolutely, they're all just based on fear for a start! That's awesome Gary! I really hope ur CBT goes well for u! X

I can certainly believe that if our anxiety eases off with help from propranolol we are better capable of coping with our OCD. 

For some their SSRI has the effect of reducing anxiety and so aiding engagement with therapy and changing responses. 

For me, my Citalopram doesn't have this effect, but it is mood-enhancing and helps me engage with therapy by lifting my spirits and reducing the secondary depression the OCD brings on. 

Adding in the propranolol, when needed, fills that gap for me. 

Edited by taurean