Still concerned over hair dressing incident !! Hep c.

I'm having a pretty bad day today. I'm under a lot of stress with my work and my ocd is really taking it's toll. 

I'm still really worried about the hairdressing incident that took place about 6 weeks ago. I've convinced myself my hairdresser cut me with the comb and that hep c blood has gone in the cut and infected me. My head definitely bled after this haircut 

I've tried thinking rationally about it. I've tried thinking that hep c has really low prevalence in the UK, and even lower in my area, I've tried thinking about the low likelihood of the comb having hep c blood on It, I've tried thinking that the hep c (if there was any) could have died by the time it got to me. They do say it can be transferred in microscopic amounts and that it lasts for up to 4 days outside the body so I feel like I am doomed. I'm so worried. 

Im at the doctors next week for another issue with hormone medication however think that's contributing to the anxiety so going to see what she says. I don't even know what to say to her. I'm worried she will actually say a test for hep c is warranted and that I should have one. :(

Do people without OCD worry about This? I can't understand why they don't seem to. To me getting a cut on your head is a big risk. 

:(:(

I wish I knew nothing about hepatitis! 

Edited by alisando123
6 minutes ago, alisando123 said:

I've tried thinking rationally about it. I've tried thinking that hep c has really low prevalence in the UK, and even lower in my area

7 minutes ago, alisando123 said:

To me getting a cut on your head is a big risk. 

I think these two comments are integral to understanding why this is an issue for you Alisando.    With OCD, we need to forget trying to think rationally, and looking for facts like how low risk something may be, because no matter how much rational facts you throw at OCD, it will throw an irrational 'what if?' back at you.

The same with your interpretation of the risk, that is actually the biggest problem I suspect, not the cut, but your interpretation of the cut and the risk.   

I am afraid I don't have any answers, I guess that is something you need to work out with a trained health professional (for OCD not the cut). 

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

I think these two comments are integral to understanding why this is an issue for you Alisando.    With OCD, we need to forget trying to think rationally, and looking for facts like how low risk something may be, because no matter how much rational facts you throw at OCD, it will throw an irrational 'what if?' back at you.

The same with your interpretation of the risk, that is actually the biggest problem I suspect, not the cut, but your interpretation of the cut and the risk.   

I am afraid I don't have any answers, I guess that is something you need to work out with a trained health professional (for OCD not the cut). 

Yeah. I am on the waiting list for cbt and should be fairly near the top now. I'd do some myself but am facing a really close deadline so I spend most of my time trying to do work! 

I think I really need to just learn to accept the tiny risks of everyday life but it's so so hard when you have OCD:( 

It's your perception of risk that is out of whack.  I worked in the technical side of the dental industry for quite a while and we were handling things from people's mouths, impressions, dentures, crowns.... even real teeth.  I was careful but often cut myself on the tools we used to fabricate appliances etc.  We were tested for Hep C when we started and at different times in the NHS.  Far, far greater risk and I do not have that.  Never unduly concerned myself with it but that is because I don't have those fears with my OCD.

I was more concerned when I burnt all the hairs off my arm in the lab.    Embarrassing :whistling::;

3 hours ago, Rucker said:

It's your perception of risk that is out of whack.  I worked in the technical side of the dental industry for quite a while and we were handling things from people's mouths, impressions, dentures, crowns.... even real teeth.  I was careful but often cut myself on the tools we used to fabricate appliances etc.  We were tested for Hep C when we started and at different times in the NHS.  Far, far greater risk and I do not have that.  Never unduly concerned myself with it but that is because I don't have those fears with my OCD.

I was more concerned when I burnt all the hairs off my arm in the lab.    Embarrassing :whistling::;

Haha oh dear! 

I will never be able to work in the medical industry unfortunately. I'm quite sad about that as at one point I wanted to be a nurse :(

I know you are right. I mean everyone would have hep c if it were that easy to catch it. 

I think I'm concerned here more over my doctors appointment and whether she suggests I should be tested (I'm not actually going for this reason!) I'll feel bad if I don't mention it (like guilty almost - like if I end up having hep c I could have found out early!) I also feel like I need reassurance from my doctor that I'm most likely to be ok. I know this is classic ocd stuff. 

All the thinking you have been doing (like what the likelihood  of an infection is) is a compulsion and needs to stop. It's ruminating and it alone is why you continue to feel anxious about this.

I bet you have also been Googling, which is another compulsion.

My advice: do NOT say anything to your doctor about the incident. It's a compulsion as reassurance seeking.

Put this behind you. Know the compulsions you are doing and work really hard to stop them.

15 hours ago, PolarBear said:

All the thinking you have been doing (like what the likelihood  of an infection is) is a compulsion and needs to stop. It's ruminating and it alone is why you continue to feel anxious about this.

I bet you have also been Googling, which is another compulsion.

My advice: do NOT say anything to your doctor about the incident. It's a compulsion as reassurance seeking.

Put this behind you. Know the compulsions you are doing and work really hard to stop them.

Yep totally right about the googling polarbear. I've actually managed a whole day without googling today. 

That is good advice and I will try. In my head I know that I need to not mention it to the doctor. I just wish my tummy pain would stop as that is worrying me! But I reckon if I can get over this hairdresser obsession they will go away on their own.