FFC problems and how to deal with aggression in children with OCD

We are currently doing some research into the problems family members face when dealing with a loved ones OCD.  Through our informal information gathering we have created a list of problems faced by family members, but we have actually identified two different groups that need different help (albeit with some overlaps).

1 - Parents of young children with OCD

2 - The family of an adult with OCD (i.e. partners, siblings, parents).

Many of the issues we have identified, we are working to find solutions (we have some great ideas on how to deliver those), but please do feel free to list problems you (as a FFC) fund you faced and would have welcomed more guidance on. Whilst I can't address within this thread, we will take forward to address with another project over the next few weeks/months.

But, one problem that keeps cropping up is the issue of aggression (verbal and physical) in children with OCD, where OCD triggers the aggression.  We know this is a frequent issue, but we are keen to hear your experiences of this, and if you found a way to deal with the outburst and aggression when OCD was a trigger? What worked for you?

• 9 months later...

I found this while having a look a the F&F Forum after many years away and this is one I can answer - takes me back a bit but I definitely can answer it Ashley

lorna was 9 when she started physically and verbally assaulting me, the therapist said I should hold her down but that just made things so much worse

I would give her a safe space and a 30 second break at first then I would check on her and then leave her for a minute

then go back - sometimes she would slam her head into the wall (as there was nothing else to hurt herself with) and I would intervene because I could hear it, stood on the stairs

She would hit me, smack me, threaten me, say to me quite calmly at aged 10 that if she had a gun in her hand she would shoot me dead.

I knew she could not understand what was going on in her head and she didnt mean it - 8 years on we are so close but she has her problems still, clinical depression and anorexia which is being treated - she is ashamed of what she did even though  I have said she doesn't need to say anything about it - its fine and It was just a way to show how distressed she was at the time.

With my son, when he is in full blown meltdown I literally do not speak, I find trying to reason with him when he is in such a rage is futile and only escalated things and lengthens the duration of the episode. I grit my teeth and sit silently until he is calm, then we talk. It took me a long time to figure this out. It works great for us, he doesn’t physically lash out at me though, more screaming and crying, rolling around and kicking his legs about, sometimes he throws things around his room, he has broken toys this way and I juts refuse to replace those so that he understands that it’s not ok and he will end up missing out.x