OCD Books - New Book Club

How do people feel about us starting an OCD book, book club?    The idea being, we choose a book, and give people 8 weeks (is that timeframe appropriate?) to read the book, then discuss on the forum and at support groups.  6-8 weeks gives people chance to obtain through a library and read, and gives people time to read it where perhaps their OCD makes reading hard.   Where I can obtain stock I would be willing to make copies of the book vastly reduced through our charity shop page for the period of that book club.  If I can get some free copies from publishers for review, I will make them freely available too (in exchange for using your review). 

We can perhaps alternate between self-help, personal accounts and fiction (where a character may have OCD). 

Perhaps the only rule is we don't comment, until a set date to give people chance to read without seeing spoilers?   If there is sufficient interest in this project, we can look to start with the first book to be chosen at the end of this month to read in November and first part of December, to discuss second part of December?

I love the idea but personally I can read a book in two nights. Two months seems awfully long to me. But I guess if there is a set date when we're going to discuss a book, I'll just read it like a week before so it's fresh in my mind.

Edited by PolarBear

Thanks all, glad there is some interest in this.   I propose we move this forward soon, but I take on board Polarbear's issue that maybe 2 mths is too long, what do others think?    From an organisational point of view, I just want to get people involved, give them plenty of time to buy and read the book and also involve supporting OCD support groups who only meet monthly,

Some people with OCD struggle reading, so I am conscious of giving them time, and I am not always reader by default so I need at least 1/2 weeks to read. 

Is 2 months between books too long?   1 month? 6 weeks? 

• 2 weeks later...

I would definitely be interested in this. I think a month is about the right timeframe. 2 months allows people to forget about the book! But a month allows for slow readers. 

I personally recently finished Holly Bourne's Am I Normal Yet? And I found the portrayal of OCD really accurate. I'd love to know what other people think? 

• 4 months later...

Ok, so when we do the book club I want it to involve the wider charity, not just the forum and invite feedback about the book which can be shared from a wide spectrum of the charity user base (website and social media users, support group users and of course this place).  

I still need to work out the logistics of how we do this, and how/where to collate comments. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, sorry I have dragged my feet on this. But I have decided we will start this on Tuesday (for different reasons I need to do something different at my support group). So I have asked my Derby SG to choose a book to read between now and the next group at the end of May. I want to start with a recovery focussed book so I have given them a shortlist of two and I will let you all know by Tuesday/Wednesday.

Break free from OCD

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Break-Free-OCD-Overcoming-Compulsive/dp/0091939690/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1524933829&sr=1-1&keywords=break+free+from+OCD

or

Pulling The Trigger (Adult)

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Pulling-Trigger-Depression-Definitive-Survival/dp/1911246003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524933745&sr=8-1&keywords=pulling+the+trigger

If using the new Amazon Smile link please do choose OCD-UK as your chosen charity. 

If you have already read those books, no harm in reading them again!!!!

For the next book in June, I will shortlist some other books and the forum can choose that one. So in a couple of weeks I will list the shortlist for you to choose before the last week in May. The idea being, I will then ask you and my SG members to read that one in June.   For July I may ask my Nottingham SG to choose that months book, and so on.

I will create a new thread to discuss each months book. But please use the spoiler icon to ask questions / discuss until at least half way through the month so not to spoil.