Any plumbers or possibly electricians out there suffering from checking \ repetitive actions?

So my friend and I we went to the site to check my work etc 

He was very frustrated at my condition and the amount of checking I needed to get done

Trouble is my brain has found another thing to obsess over - it's a connection where you insert a sleeve into the pipe before you insert the pipe into the fitting.

I am wracking my brains because I do not have a clear memory of installing the sleeve/insert.

I have a very vague memory of the insert going into the pipe easily, therefore I could hold on to that thought as suggesting that I actually have done so.

But I have visions of having not done so and am having catastrophic thoughts.

Feeling like the only responsible thing to do is to undo the joint and check. 

I was going to go back there tomorrow to do this, but will wait and check it when I am on the same site anyway for another reason. 
This way I can check it with minimum disruption to my schedule.

I understand that it is a compulsion to check again - but the repercussions of not checking are filling me with fear.

Seems plumbing is a very unsuitable job for someone with this condition. 

Thanks.

PS - Got my psychiatrist appt tomorrow. Girlfriend wants to come. I think she is very fed up.
This fear seems so rational though - I mean not putting a sleeve / insert is not good, and there is no way to check it without undoing the joint. I have a funny feeling that I will have done it though - but my mind says I must not have. I remember buying the sleeve/insert and it being supplied with the fitting. But can't remember having inserted it.

Edited by OCDPlumber
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fears sound rational but maybe your reaction to them is excessive.

Let us know how it goes with the psychiatrist.

I think it’s good your girlfriend wants to attend your appointment.

Best wishes.

It is not the job it is OCD causing the problem. It might follow you. I am not a plumber but I  an identify with every one of your symptoms.

Good that you are not checking tomorrow but postponing it. A very good technique. Postpone and then postpone again. The extending of the period of postponement is one of the keys to therapy.

Goid luck tomorrow.

Hopefully your psychiatrist says the same thing we are. The anxiety and doubt you feel is being caused by your compulsions. Plain and simple.

You have to start trusting yourself and standing up to OCD or this will only get worse.

On 12/09/2017 at 23:41, paradoxer said:

Plumber, what you describe is just OCD doing its thing. As you point out it'll attack the most important part of your work - again, par for the course. As for 'silly' nothing at all remotely silly about your post. Re the inane (though terrible) disorder - that's another thing. Wishing you the best. 

Me too.