BBC Wales News online

So I see there is a story on the BBC Wales News website about OCD with comments from Ashley. Before I make a comment, I wonder if anyone else has read it?

Best wishes, Phil.

Edited by PhilM

I think the article I read was ok in terms of generally being a news article about OCD but there was some misinformation and I'm not sure the sources as the BBC didn't cite any organisations etc. in the article? To me as I work in journalism - you have to say where you got the information from. For example - 36,000 sufferers in Wales. Is that an estimate/guess by the journalist or from a source such as the NHS?

Edited by PhilM
1 hour ago, PhilM said:

36,000 sufferers in Wales. Is that an estimate/guess by the journalist or from a source such as the NHS?

That part came from me, sort of. We don't have any exact figures. But it's widely accepted that estimates are approx. 1.2% of the UK population is affected by OCD, so I suggested he look at the Welsh population and work out the percentage. 

OK. I still think good journalism should have said something like "according to OCD-UK"...Etc. I'm not being petty I hope but I think with a condition like OCD which is under-represented in the media and misunderstood by a lot of people the source of the statistics should be mentioned?

Mostly what I do now is proof reading and editing.

Not a lot of published writing which kind of suits me as I think about other things I would like to do. For example, adult literacy. I was never the best writer in the world but I've always been methodical.

I'm surprised more OCD-UK members haven't commented on the story but that's a personal view.

It is a very important subject for people with OCD and expressing the realities of OCD and we don't get a lot of attention in the media. With hindsight, I would give the story -6/10.

2 hours ago, PhilM said:

I'm surprised more OCD-UK members haven't commented on the story but that's a personal view.

Only just seen it this minute, Phil. And only then thanks to you and Ashley highlighting it - thank you.

My comment is awaiting moderation apparently. Will check back later to see if it has gone live... :dry: