Mindfullness based CBT

Hi, again

On my previous post I was (and still am) desperate. But I've also been reading a lot about mindfullness based CBT. I don't know if any of you have tried this. But the other day I gave it a try and I felt better. It's not easy especially for a begginer like me.

Has anyone tried mindfullness to cope with ocd? 

Yes Jazzie 

I have had a course of (privately -funded) mindfulness based CBT for OCD. 

The mindfulness is helpful to break the connection that keeps us stuck in the active "doing"part of the brain where all the obsessing and compulsing takes place, and shift focus into the benign"  just being "part of the brain, where we simply focus in the present and ib the moment. 

I found it sits nicely alongside the CBT,  with the CBT of course being the core treatment. 

Edited by taurean

This workbook might suit you - my therapist recommended it and I have it. It's available in e and hard copy from Amazon 

"The mindfulness workbook for OCD" by Jon Herschfield and Tom Corboy. 

It says it is "a guide to overcoming obsessions and compulsions using mindfulness and cognitive behavioural therapy". 

I have the Mindfulness book and accompanying soundtrack of Mark Williams and Danny Penman on my iPod. They've been lifesavers when I'm feeling overwhelmed; my doctor recommended them a couple of years ago, and they really help. Even the soothing voice on the mindfulness exercises alone, which guide you through the breathing exercises necessary, is enough on its own! As Taurean says, it will help you be. My brain got a little over-frantic today, so I often use it to soothe my brain and calm it down when I'm feeling particularly over-excitable, or like I want to do everything at once. Fully recommend it! :thumbup:

C x

Just to clarify, I think Cub means by the mindfulness book " Mindfulness a practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world " by Mark Williams and Danny Penman, with accompanying CD. 

I have this particular book on my lap as I write. It is essentially a self-help mindfulness course spread over 8 weeks. It's good from the point of view of in-depth learning. 

For anyone who simply wants to find easy methods to slip into mindfulness without going through a course,then there are some short practical guides downloadable. I like "Mindfulness on the Go: peace in your pocket" by Padraig O'Morain. 

Mindfulness is helpful in breaking away from the grip of OCD. But remember folks, we need to use CBT to tackle the OCD itself. 

7 hours ago, jazzie said:

Has anyone tried mindfullness to cope with ocd? 

I think that's a good description Jazzie, I do think it has a place in coping with OCD but it's important to differentiate between tools that help us cope and tools that help us treat OCD :)

15 hours ago, Ashley said:

I think that's a good description Jazzie, I do think it has a place in coping with OCD but it's important to differentiate between tools that help us cope and tools that help us treat OCD :)

I know exactly what you mean, Ashley , :)

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 17:56, taurean said:

Just to clarify, I think Cub means by the mindfulness book " Mindfulness a practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world " by Mark Williams and Danny Penman, with accompanying CD. 

I have this particular book on my lap as I write. It is essentially a self-help mindfulness course spread over 8 weeks. It's good from the point of view of in-depth learning. 

For anyone who simply wants to find easy methods to slip into mindfulness without going through a course,then there are some short practical guides downloadable. I like "Mindfulness on the Go: peace in your pocket" by Padraig O'Morain. 

Mindfulness is helpful in breaking away from the grip of OCD. But remember folks, we need to use CBT to tackle the OCD itself. 

That's exactly what I meant! Cheers for clarificiation, Taurean. Sorry, I was actually listening to it while writing and it's oddly disconcerting to write one thing when you're listening to something else. :)

If you like that CD cub, there are other mindfulness-based guided meditations you might like. Some of them are available as free downloads. You should be able to find one, for example, of Jon Kabat-Zinn's  mountain meditation - I really think that one will suit you