Craig in Corrie

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Ashley said:

It looks like they are taking Craig down an OCD storyline focussed on looking at clocks (maybe because of thing storyline in court where he messed up telling the time). 

I thought that too last night Ashley, that they were introducing an OCD storyline with Craig. I agree, I think it was because of him messing up in court. It looked to me like he couldn't leave the house until the clock read a certain time? I'm not sure if it was the second hand of the clock that was important. His mum got in the way of the clock at one point, which seemed to be an issue. There was also the issue of the mug in the police station and he mentioned he had a routine he followed before starting work. 

Whatever it is that they're doing, I hope they do it well. They usually do with their storylines and lots of research is carried out before hand. 

Edited by Emsie
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, lostinme said:

It hasn’t Emsie, little bits keep cropping up like tonight :yes:

I know, I saw tonight's first episode, and I thought to myself that I spoke too soon! :yes:

x

Edited by Emsie
16 hours ago, Ashley said:

Not sure it's doing a very good job, how you go from getting time wrong in court to OCD around time seems a little far fetched, even for OCD.  Will see how pans out. 

I agree. 

21 hours ago, Ashley said:

Not sure it's doing a very good job, how you go from getting time wrong in court to OCD around time seems a little far fetched, even for OCD.  Will see how pans out. 

I think it's because he felt that he had nearly prevented the rapist from getting convicted due to the wrong clock time and therefore would have caused harm to Bethany. All the compulsions are to prevent harm to Bethany. The clock is prominent because of what happened in court. Hope they explain it like that. Hope they talk about the intrusive thoughts more so as well to really depict OCD properly 

• 1 month later...

What do people think of tonight's double bill?

I think the scenes where Craig was trapped at home by his compulsions were done well. Not now, but checking in that manner was once a major compulsion of mine. I really empathised. It was good too that there was mention of his thoughts when he was talking to Liam so that the audience could start to see the reasons behind the compulsions. I think it was particularly good that Craig explained that he has to do it until it feels right. 

I think that it's great that something as big as Corrie is tackling this. 

This story line has built up slowly, but I'm thinking that's a good thing because OCD does work in this manner as it creeps in to our lives. It's not one day it's not there and the next it is. 

Still got my fingers crossed that Corrie does it all well. 

8 hours ago, Caramoole said:

Not always true, that's exactly how mine started.  I could tell you the place, the date, the hour.  I suppose we're all slightly different.

Apologies, I didn't explain what I meant. Craig was very distressed and performing many compulsions. It was the severity of those compulsions that I didn't think could appear overnight. But I may be wrong of course. 

Overall I think it's doing a good job, it showed him checking whilst counting which is very realistic. It's showing his distress well, and the impact on his relationship, they built it up slowly which is all good.

The only thing I find a little unusual is the start to this was the court scene where he got the time wrong, he then develops OCD, I don't buy that (unless he had OCD traits before, which he didn't). The OCD's then morphed from watching clocks to checking quite quickly. 

8 hours ago, Ashley said:

The only thing I find a little unusual is the start to this was the court scene where he got the time wrong, he then develops OCD, I don't buy that (unless he had OCD traits before, which he didn't). The OCD's then morphed from watching clocks to checking quite quickly. 

I didn't have OCD traits.  I suppose it was the stress of the situation which probably triggered anxiety and responsibility issues, they can't' always go into full detail.  It probably is being fast-forwarded because this is television entertainment

3 hours ago, Caramoole said:

I didn't have OCD traits.  I suppose it was the stress of the situation which probably triggered anxiety and responsibility issues, they can't' always go into full detail.  It probably is being fast-forwarded because this is television entertainment

Completely agree. Plus, there was all the stress of helping Bethany and exposing Neil the policeman and his mentor, prior to the court case, that would have contributed to triggering his anxiety and responsibility issues. The court case mistake could have been the straw that broke the camels back for Craig. It was very traumatic and hard for him. He felt he'd let Bethany down and to him he probably thought that he'd jeopardised the court case and hence his protection of Bethany. 

Edited by Emsie
On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 00:46, Caramoole said:

Not always true, that's exactly how mine started.  I could tell you the place, the date, the hour.  I suppose we're all slightly different.

I too could also pretty much remember the place and date when my intrusive thoughts about children began.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they've been good. It must be very hard to act out the suffering especially if you don't have OCD and don't really know the thought processes and levels of fear. He's very good at trying to act it, for the age of him as well. I'm so glad they're doing this storyline. It's heartbreaking. Nearly cried tonight watching it. Brilliant writers. Did Iain Puleston Davies have any input into the specifics of this particular storyline? The obsessions and compulsions around trying to keep Bethany safe and even the multiples of 3 on the clock are great. Very believable details. Twitter though will most likely be horrible about it

I’m not sure ? but they could be trying to portray its magical thinking? because he believes it’s all his fault that this has happened to Bethany, so he has to count again and then he goes home and rechecks over and over again fearing he didn’t do it just right?