Craig in Corrie

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I understand what your saying, because i thought it too, ive recorded tonight’s episodes to rewatch again because I’d got visititors so couldn’t really pay full attention. I will rewatch them again tomorrow and see what I think ? 

Did you watch it again Lost?   

I get where they are coming from, and I don't think it's a bad portrayal, but the counting part is starting to seem a little stereo-typical. For those that count because of their OCD, do you count to any old number until it feels right? For me it always had to be in set of three. I know others talk about sets of four or a very set, specific magical number. 

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Did you watch it again Lost?   

I get where they are coming from, and I don't think it's a bad portrayal, but the counting part is starting to seem a little stereo-typical. For those that count because of their OCD, do you count to any old number until it feels right? For me it always had to be in set of three. I know others talk about sets of four or a very set, specific magical number. 

Hi Ashley, no sorry I havnt had time to rewatch it yet :( it’s been a busy day. 

At the moment I don’t think it’s particularly a bad portrayal, but possibly a little rushed to how far it’s progressed ? 

I had two sets of numbers for different issues, one was 1-5 and the other was 1-3. However at times I did do things until it felt just right? But not counting. Im not sure but I think Craigs magical number is eighteen? and if something interrupts him as he is doing it he has to start all over again, like I think we all do if we are acting out a compulsion? 

I need to watch them again now :lol:

4 minutes ago, lostinme said:

At the moment I don’t think it’s particularly a bad portrayal, but possibly a little rushed to how far it’s progressed ? 

I agree, I don't think it's a bad portrayal.  6/10?

I meant to say how far it’s progressed in such a short time :lol: 

Ive just watched it again and yes it seems his magic number is eighteen and if he gets interrupted he has to start all over again. I think they are trying to portray his OCD as hyper responsibility towards Bethany and he told little Liam that its magic and it would protect anyone from getting hurt. So now with what has happened to Bethany he is saying it’s all his fault, so he went back to Maria’s flat to re do his compulsions :yes: 

Yes it’s possible Ive missed a few too, but he as been counting on a few episodes, as well as last nights and his number seems to be eighteen :) 

It’s the same as his clock watching he has to do things at set times or leave at certain times too :yes:

Lost is spot on, his number is definitely 18, I picked that up a few episodes ago. I'm up to date apart from watching the second episode on Friday. I've seen him rush to get to 18 too when he's been disturbed doing his compulsions.   

I think the actor playing Craig is doing a good job of showing the anxiety that he's going through. His face at times shows it all and I've found it very moving. 

Edited by Emsie

Yes me too Emsie, I think at the mo they are portraying it very well, even if it as escalated rather a bit rapidly? 

I think it’s a very hard disorder to portray, because even though they can do the behaviours and show the anxiety, they can’t show the intrusive thoughts that causes the behaviours and associating anxiety. But hopefully this will come a little later in the show when he finally needs to seek help through a therapist? 

But so far I think they are doing a good job :yes:

1 hour ago, lostinme said:

Yes me too Emsie, I think at the mo they are portraying it very well, even if it as escalated rather a bit rapidly? 

I think it’s a very hard disorder to portray, because even though they can do the behaviours and show the anxiety, they can’t show the intrusive thoughts that causes the behaviours and associating anxiety. But hopefully this will come a little later in the show when he finally needs to seek help through a therapist? 

But so far I think they are doing a good job :yes:

It really is a hard disorder to portray. It's like an iceberg, there's so much you don't see. Yes, I'm hoping too that a good insight in to his intrusive thoughts comes later. 

Me too, I think they're doing a good job. They are showing it effecting most areas of his life too, such as home life, relationships, work etc, which is realistic. 

Fingers crossed they continue to do a good job. 

• 1 month later...

Just catching up on Friday's Corrie, and wow ITV really did a lot of damage in a one hour period, firstly on Emmerdale and then Corrie.

Firstly on Emmerdale Chas made an OCD and reference to her cleaning lady.

Then on Corrie Alya said to Craig. "I used to drive Zee crazy when I lived at home, he's a bit OCD."    Corrie have been getting plaudits for how they have handled Craig's OCD storyline but I think they undid all that good work on Friday with that comment and then in 20 seconds Craig is suddenly able to leave everything plugged in because of some tapping he found online. He would be the first person I know to get better from EFT!

Would they treat MS, ME motor neurone disease, or the devastating hypothyroidism from which my wife has been suffering in such a cavalier manner? 

OCD wrecks lives health relationships if not satisfactorily treated. And treatment is not instantaneous, it takes time and a softly softly enlightening approach - and gradually changed behaviours - there is not likely to be overnight success. 

What a shame ITV seem to have undone some initial good work. 

Ive just managed to catch up and I’m not sure ? 

I think the new tapping thing is a definite no no, with all the will in the world, no one with OCD can possibly just stop doing compulsions and replace just like that with a new tapping thing :no:

However I think they are going to follow up the story line of using Zee is a little bit OCD? Later on in the episode when Craig was speaking to Bethany he started to say he was a little stressed over Alyas comment and that they have no idea, you can’t just have a bit of OCD etc? 

On 15/04/2018 at 18:20, Ashley said:

Just catching up on Friday's Corrie, and wow ITV really did a lot of damage in a one hour period, firstly on Emmerdale and then Corrie.

Firstly on Emmerdale Chas made an OCD and reference to her cleaning lady.

Then on Corrie Alya said to Craig. "I used to drive Zee crazy when I lived at home, he's a bit OCD."    Corrie have been getting plaudits for how they have handled Craig's OCD storyline but I think they undid all that good work on Friday with that comment and then in 20 seconds Craig is suddenly able to leave everything plugged in because of some tapping he found online. He would be the first person I know to get better from EFT!

Yep, they wrecked it ?? Maybe he'll develop tapping compulsions if the script is ever to stick to a realistic reflection. Wonder what Iain Puleston Davies thinks.

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

I have written to ITV, Loose Women, Emmerdale and Coronation Street to highlight their errors of judgement and ask they review to ensure are not repeated. 

That’s great Ashley, let’s hope they listen and hopefully apologise. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not at all impressed with how Corrie are handling the OCD storyline.

The build-up to the story was good, they took the time and the impact on the character's life was well shown. But now it's simply the butt of jokes and that's going unchallenged, which means rather than educate about the severity of OCD, it's reinforcing the fact it's ok to joke about OCD.

Even more disappointing on the evening when they also build up to the male suicide storyline (great acting by the way).

I have had various replies from ITV and BBC, will post when get chance, but in brief it's 'well that's how people talk, so we're allowed to get away with it'...  I have replied to them pointing out they're getting it wrong and have to take responsibility. 

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

I have had various replies from ITV and BBC, will post when get chance, but in brief it's 'well that's how people talk, so we're allowed to get away with it'...  I have replied to them pointing out they're getting it wrong and have to take responsibility. 

Omg I can't believe they've said this. It's terrible because it just throws the efforts and results of OCD awareness campaigns into the bin. I think I will write to them too. They're misinforming people on a grand scale and pushing a lack of acceptance which will only increase the stigma. Idiots

13 hours ago, Orwell1984 said:

Omg I can't believe they've said this. It's terrible because it just throws the efforts and results of OCD awareness campaigns into the bin. I think I will write to them too. They're misinforming people on a grand scale and pushing a lack of acceptance which will only increase the stigma. Idiots

I totally agree Orwell :yes: