Rumination

I can't stop thinking that I might have lied to somebody by not telling them the full facts about something from my past.

I feel guilty and I feel like I need to make amends for it.

How can I deal with this rumination?

Hello! This is what I'm struggling with so you're not alone don't worry.

Confessing is a compulsion in ocd. No matter what you confess or think you need to confess.. your ocd will always then come up with something else. Don't fall for it. Don't ruminate, rationalize or analyse these thoughts. Shift your attention. When it comes to me, I have started to dismiss it as ocd and shift my attention towards the future and how I can be kinder towards myself. The past is the past and cannot be changed.. and should not really be looked back on unless we are doing so to learn from it.

Thanks for your reply,

Isn't it weird how ocd works? It just seems to latch onto different things all the time.

I think your right, we just need to accept that whatever we did in the past is done and cant be changed.

Definitely! I had loads of bizarre thoughts before and now they've subsided and don't bother me it's latched on to something that will. 

Definitely. Acceptance is key there's no point wasting time worrying about something that can't be changed. So when something pops up about the past instead of engaging in a compulsion change your attention to something else.