Why is it always worse at Christmas

So Ive been doing pretty well lately but my religious/ scrupulous ocd reared its head again of course. The problem is that the rituals I do are very obvious and visual and Im scared Ive been seen doing them in work or when on nights out (to stop me sitting in the house and therefore think more about ocd ironically). Im scared colleagues and neighbours are talking about me. I think obsessively about the fallout of a ritual rather than the ritual itself.

Ive actually been doing okay and ignoring thoughts compulsions etc 90% of the time. But that 10% drags me right back down.

I dont know if its because Im tired and stressed that Im blowing everything out of proprtion but I just cant stop thinking about people believing im some kind of weirdo. A part of me just wants to let it go and say whats done is done. But the other part keeps thinking about colleagues talking about me because they saw me doing something weird on camera.

If people understood what mental illness is really like then I wouldnt be so worried!

Yes the pressure and extra stress around winter, chrismas time don't make things easyer. It's hard, but try to ignore what people might think of you. You can't control that anyway. Don't see yourself as weird in a bad way. Nothing wrong with being different. Personally I like it when people don't comform to the norm. It makes the world less boring. As long as you don't suffer!

11 hours ago, Fender said:

dont know if its because Im tired and stressed that Im blowing everything out of proprtion but I just cant stop thinking about people believing im some kind of weirdo. A part of me just wants to let it go and say whats done is done. But the other part keeps thinking about colleagues talking about me because they saw me doing something weird on camera.

We do tend to blow things out of proportion, it’s part of the ocd.

give yourself a break and just try to enjoy Christmas the best you possibly can. 

Regarding other people thinking your a weirdo,  

point 1 sod them if they do.

point 2 they are probably so busy this time of year, that they wouldn’t notice even if you had acted out of character or differently.

we are all unique individuals, all with different traits. Try to accept and be proud of who you are . Xx

Don't worry Fender. 

It's quite a common concern. 

I would get repetitive phrases churning in my mental chatter and got afraid I might be speaking them unwittingly. 

I learned not to worry. I explained the basics of my OCD to my friends and work colleagues - they were shocked and horrified at what a dastardly illness it is, and how it manifests itself. 

I realised then that, for me, suffering in silence is not the way forward in OCD. 

There is plenty of help on the main OCD-UK website in how OCD works, and material to help explain it to others. 

There will be those who struggle with or don't want to understand - so what, I didn't let that bother me ; and eventually they came on board. 

From being scared to talk about my OCD I have travelled a worthwhile journey to becoming, amongst my set and community, a GO TO person for those struggling with mental issues - and when I talk to them, I comfort and reassure them and tell them how to get appropriate help. 

It's not surprising that many have some manifestation of OCD - around 1% of the population sadly do. 

Keep resisting the urge to compulse - carrying out compulsions only makes OCD worse.