Weathering The Storms

The idea to write this topic came from looking out the window - it's raining again - and remembering the many storms of 2017.

But for we sufferers, storms have another meaning - the mental attacks by OCD intrusions, which can be vicious and persistent. 

I now know that engaging with them, giving meaning to them, carrying out compulsions to test, check or work out the truth of them only makes them stronger and lengthens the duration of the storm - and can encourage larger waves. 

We need to understand how our illness works to recognise what it is doing, how it is functioning ; when we do that, we can see how our responses are making things worse - and that the way forward is to leave them be, and gently but firmly refocus away and get beneficially busy. 

We will need to, separately, face up to the false or exaggerated core beliefs that underpin the OCD intrusions. This is why structured sessions of exposure and response prevention come in and are vitally important in seeing them for what they are, and defusing them. 

Another thing we can do is build our resilience. And a wonderful guided meditation by Jon Kabat-Zinn can help us to do this. 

Check it out  - it is called "The Mountain Meditation". 

I have a download of it on my phone - and if I get bothered in a mental storm, playing it helps me regain my mental strength and resilience. 

51 minutes ago, taurean said:

I now know that engaging with them, giving meaning to them, carrying out compulsions to test, check or work out the truth of them only makes them stronger and lengthens the duration of the storm - and can encourage larger waves. 

We need to understand how our illness works to recognise what it is doing, how it is functioning ; when we do that, we can see how our responses are making things worse - and that the way forward is to leave them be, and gently but firmly refocus away and get beneficially busy. 

Roy you have worded this perfectly. One thing I have taken on board through my therapy sessions and this forum is OCD can crop up at any time - I can be doing well for 6+ months then one random thought can become distressing. What I now know to do is, acknowledge the thought is distressing me and accept that. I don't need to try to prove myself to my anxiety, it only worsens. 

Plus I am all for being beneficially busy :a1_cheesygrin: It's the best way to get out of our own minds and focus on reality. 

Beneficially busy is a broad term :) Yesterday my "beneficially busy",  because of being unwell (Non-OCD)  only extended to cooking the dinner and working on a fiendishly difficult mini jigsaw puzzle of a group of penguins (they all look the same). 

But those were beneficial and involved. 

I also find doing two beneficial things at once (but in a safe environment)  helps to break free of the grip of a mental storm.

So, I might be writing on here whilst listening to a CD - doing the washing-up/loading or unloading the dishwasher whilst enjoying a programme on the radio. 

Occupying the conscious part of our mind in that way can help, for me, break the power of unwanted intrusions. 

Definitely, it also promotes a feeling of usefulness which can help break down the negativity brought on my OCD. 

Feeling a bit low today so I'm currently changing and washing the bedsheets. Next I'm going to do some washing up and I might pop out to buy an SD card for one of my cameras. 

Trying not to focus on my low mood and be beneficially busy and hopefully have a nice chat on here. I don't normally feel lonely but my boyfriend has gone back to work today so just a change of pace after Christmas for us.

I think a few of us will be feeling a bit low. 

When working I used to go in through Christmas and New Year, other than bank holidays, because a long period of inaction would leave me vulnerable to OCD. Plus it helped my colleagues with kids, as the office had to be manned. 

Now of course the businesses and coffee shops are re-opening, and I am too ill to visit them :(

But sorting out the cupboards will be great - a nice distraction, with classic fm on to keep me company :stereo:

Nice one! I decluttered and sorted out the kitchen cupboards on Boxing Day, it's so nice to have a clean and organised home for the new year. 

Every time I take an extended period away from work, for a holiday say, I always feel a bit odd going back. But I do feel healthier with a routine so I'm looking forward to that.

I'm starting to put my new 2018 goals into action and taking photos of illustrations for my online shop. Excited to give this a go and have a project to work on :)

2 hours ago, taurean said:

We will need to, separately, face up to the false or exaggerated core beliefs that underpin the OCD intrusions. This is why structured sessions of exposure and response prevention come in and are vitally important in seeing them for what they are, and defusing them. 

Some aspects of ERP delivery won't do this thought, they focus on the behavioural side rather than helping the person with OCD understand their vicious flower (or OCD roadmap as we called it in the magazine). So that's why it's important to advocate the use of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy which will (should) offer both.

10 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Some aspects of ERP delivery won't do this thought, they focus on the behavioural side rather than helping the person with OCD understand their vicious flower (or OCD roadmap as we called it in the magazine). So that's why it's important to advocate the use of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy which will (should) offer both.

Agree absolutely. 

2 hours ago, taurean said:

We need the CBT to understand this, then the ERP part of the CBT.