Your brain needs to poo, too

I watch a man on youtube called mark freeman and find his videos very good, covering all aspects of ocd he has helped with knowledge. 

I did come across a video called as the title says, it talks about if we feel were holding a secret our stress is obviously higher and day to day things are harder, he goes on to say that talking about it untangles the thoughts in your head,and the first step is to talk about it. 

I suffer from needing to confession really badly as i think my other half should know, the things ive told her have hurt her alot.if anyone with a good knowledge of the workings of ocd could take 3 minutes to watch this and explain how he means talking about it and let me know what he means. 

He has such an understanding and sufferd himself, this is the only one of the videoes that has thrown me

Youtube, mark freeman ocd, your brain needs to poo too

Its on his sight under everybody has a brain, thanks

Hi battlethrough, 

I've just watched his video and in my opinion he is just saying don't hide your mental health issues and be open about them in general terms. I can see where you're coming from with the section that you quoted about untangling thoughts by talking about them, but for OCD he doesn't mean confessing or as I am prone to, reassurance seeking, as they are both compulsions. Yes, both of these compulsions are talking about the thoughts that are in our heads, but it's not what he means.

I think the example that he used of keeping secrets is not helpful and confusing. Especially to those in the throes of an OCD episode and in a high state of anxiety where it could be misconstrued. Having said that, he is just talking about mental health in general and not hiding it. I don't think this video is specifically for OCD, just mental health in general. 

You asked for someone to reply with a good working knowledge of OCD and I do have to say that I wouldn't put myself in that category because I'm still learning and awaiting therapy. But, I cannot imagine that anyone, that is trying to help people with OCD, would advocate compulsions. 

Hope this helps and I'm sure others will come along and give their input.  

Edited by Emsie

I think it means talking more about the feelings, rather than the content of the thought. 

How does the thought make you feel? Sad, confused, anxious, worried, bad, guilty etc. Having OCD and dealing with the obsession can make us feel so tired and anxious the content of our obsession is almost secondary if that makes sense. I also personally found it made me feel so trapped inside my own head talking about it helped me to not feel so isolated and broke up the thought process a bit.

I would also always encourage you to use the forum to discuss how you feel and try and separate the content of your OCD from your family and friends. Like you say you don't want to upset them, and I find it really encouraging that I can talk to people when I need it without affecting my relationships and worrying those around me. 

Saying that it's also important to have a support network and let people know when you are feeling down or low. They don't have to engage in the obsession itself but can reassure you that you are loved and they are there to help you.

I hope this made sense and hasn't confused you further.

Thank you for your time, support and insight

The video has thrown me a bit as i am convinced i pursued and acted with my sister, my partner knows i am having an episode but the guilt is pushing me to confess, of course its to releave my anxiety but also as i feel she should know. 

Thinking it could untangle my mind makes me want to confess as selfish as that is x