8 months with the same obsession??

I am like 8months now with the same Ruminating over the same thing (memory of past event)

Usually I manage to be free from particular ruminations after like 2 or 3 weeks

But this one stays with me all the time for 8 months now

It means im in a worst stage of ocd than others?? Can it happens to stay so long ruminating the same thing? Im going crazy with it

Hi bobby, this is familiar to me too. You're not going crazy. Your mind is just stuck on a loop for now.  I can remember calendar dates for feeling particular levels of suffering during a time period where I had harm thoughts for nearly a year. But you do get past the obsessional themes. Sadly it latches onto the next thing cos that's the nature of a horrible chronic brain malfunction syndrome. The key is becoming aware of the compulsions so you can stop them and end the intensity of the vicious cycle so ur brain won't focus on the triggers anymore 

Edited by Orwell1984
Clarity

Hi Bobby,

It's definitely normal for OCD to have Obsessions that last months to years.

I'm in my late twenties and my longest 'obsession' has lasted 22 years!

In some respects it does not matter how long an individual obsession lasts, what matters is that you get CBT to tackle OCD as a whole.

On 15/01/2018 at 13:29, PolarBear said:

Bobby, it's all perfectly normal. I've met people on here who were stuck on one thought for seven years. Don't wait that long. Take steps today to end this.

On 15/01/2018 at 15:51, robbiec87 said:

Know how you feel. 7 months and counting.

On 15/01/2018 at 20:36, Orwell1984 said:

Hi bobby, this is familiar to me too. You're not going crazy. Your mind is just stuck on a loop for now.  I can remember calendar dates for feeling particular levels of suffering during a time period where I had harm thoughts for nearly a year. But you do get past the obsessional themes. Sadly it latches onto the next thing cos that's the nature of a horrible chronic brain malfunction syndrome. The key is becoming aware of the compulsions so you can stop them and end the intensity of the vicious cycle so ur brain won't focus on the triggers anymore 

On 16/01/2018 at 11:02, BelAnna said:

Hi Bobby,

It's definitely normal for OCD to have Obsessions that last months to years.

I'm in my late twenties and my longest 'obsession' has lasted 22 years!

In some respects it does not matter how long an individual obsession lasts, what matters is that you get CBT to tackle OCD as a whole.

Thanks for your answers my friends

On ‎15‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 14:48, bobbyassustado said:

I am like 8months now with the same Ruminating over the same thing (memory of past event)

Usually I manage to be free from particular ruminations after like 2 or 3 weeks

But this one stays with me all the time for 8 months now

It means im in a worst stage of ocd than others?? Can it happens to stay so long ruminating the same thing? Im going crazy with it

Think of it this way.  If we break a leg or an arm and don't treat it, the pain and discomfort will last weeks, and whilst it may heal in time, if it was not correctly set you will have ongoing problems for months and even years.

The same said of OCD.  If you don't address the problem, the OCD will remain.

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Think of it this way.  If we break a leg or an arm and don't treat it, the pain and discomfort will last weeks, and whilst it may heal in time, if it was not correctly set you will have ongoing problems for months and even years.

The same said of OCD.  If you don't address the problem, the OCD will remain.

Very good point