Accepting medication is right for me

Hi everyone.

In October I  started a slow process of coming off my medication. At first I start taking half the dosage, then after a month and a half I cut it in half again then after a couple of weeks took one every other day, then ever few days. I recently stopped taking them and life events have made it very difficult. Today i feel terrible and have decided to see my gp about it and I hope to start again.

I found 5mg the perfect daily dose to feel 'normal' but with twinges of anxiety so I could use techniques I was taught in therapy. 

I wanted to write this post so anyone struggling with coming to terms with taking medication doesn' feel ashamed or concerned.

I may try coming off it again in summer when the weather is nicer and life events have calmed down.

Sometimes life throws us curve balls and we need to do what's right for us as individuals.

I have read a number of posts where people on SSRI meds and doing well have elected to come off them or reduce the dose, leading to a serious relapse. 

I think you have tried to come off them too soon biscuitcat, and certainly with life events causing stress - a great OCD trigger - that wouldn't have helped. 

But the gradual tapering is I believe the way forward when coming off, but I suspect maybe much slower than you were doing. I think the drugs take a very long time to build up in the system  and successful withdrawal may also need to be a much longer, tapered, process. 

I would like to reduce my meds, but not in the foreseeable future as I am doing well. 

I don't feel any stigma for taking them, just like I wouldn't with a physical illness.

Edited by taurean
amendment

Hi Roy, 

Thanks for your response. The GP said I have the best chance of coming off them if I take them for 12 months or more. The GP I saw when I decided to try last time didn't mention that. So I'm going to have them again and then see how I feel in a year. 

I feel no stigma for taking them, and if they help me then why should I!