OCD about possible thief at work

Hello. Two months ago I got a new office mate who moved to the office right next to mine. We now both share the same suite with a third man who is our land lord. When the office became available, I recommended the new guy to the land lord because I new he was self employed working from home and coffee shops and probably wanted the space.

I new him from before since he was a computer tech and repaired my computers in the past. Although he is very smart, I am worried about him being in the office and am regretted a bit that I told him of the availability. Last spring, for example, he did work on my computer for about $100 worth. In the past whenever he's done work he's sent me a bill and I've always paid on time- usually by giving him my credit card number. On this occassion he didnt wait to sent me a bill- he just used my credit card number that he had from last time and charged it wihout telling me. I told him by text that in the future to please first send me a bill so that I can decide whether I want to pay by check or credit card or whatever, and so I make sure I pay from an account that has funds so i don't bounce.

He said ofcourse and from then on he always asked before charging the card. One more example of why I feel uncomfortable is that another guy we know one time had been behind on payment or maybe was refusing to pay for his work (I dont know why but I think he eventually paid) and the new guy wrote on his facebook never to trust this guy or do business wih him. 

Also several times I've seen that the remote user software that he uses to get onto my computer to do repairs was still not logged out of even the day after he finished the work. He gave some reason for this. There are several other examples but I wont get into them. The problem is now I'm obsessing that he has access to all my bank account info. Befofe he came to the office I was so motivated to work and save and had been working long hours a day. I had been coming to work earlier than usual and leaving later. One of my goals was to finally own real estate.

Now I'm not motivated because I think he's just gonna steal everything from me as soon as I save something up. He can or may alreay have installed a key stroker on my computer that would tell him my online bank account info. Yesterday I only got about an hour of work done. I'm thinking he might also come into my office and access my check book to forge checks  payable to himself or to a company he created. He just strikes me as the brilliant but somewhat disturbed type.

In counties where there is a lot of crime and stealing, people become poor not just because of the theft, but because they don't even have the motivation to save up in the first place knowing they are at high risk that they'll loose it all anyway.

It's a nice office in a good area at a very good price, and looks like the new officemate isn't planning on moving. I thought about moving but I've been there for over two years and would definitely want to stay if it weren't for this situation.

How can I get back on track?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hello. I initially posted this a few months ago. Now Im not so worried about him stealing something as I am about me possibly bothering him if I am talking on the phone too loud. He put his desk right on the other side of the wall as mine. He hasnt said anything yet, but I've seen in the past that he can get annoyed easily, -and has shown it.

Should I just rent somewhere else so i can focus on my work?

Edited by NoahsArk
On 12/03/2018 at 18:21, NoahsArk said:

Should I just rent somewhere else so i can focus on my work?

I guess you could, the thing is though you'd be preforming a pretty hefty compulsion if you did go down that road. I know it seems like a good idea, god I've been there, I'm sure we all have here.....thinking if I just do this I'll be free once and for all. The problem is it's a whopper of a lie we're being fed by the disorder - maybe it might rid you of the doubts about this guy and allow you to focus on work for a short while, but knowing the way OCD works it probably wouldn't be long before a new 'what if' or doubt hits again.

How can I get back on track?

The best way's, unfortunately the hardest in the short term, and that's really to tackle the root problem itself, which is the OCD. 

I wish this were as easy to put into practice as it is to suggest, but try to allow the thoughts and doubts about this guy to just be there, almost make space for them...the thoughts aren't just going to disappear just like that, but when the 'maybe I'll be robbed' thought pops up, call the OCD's bluff with something like 'oh yeah, that old story,' but keep working at focusing again on what really matters, your work and reaching your long term goals - getting a house and being free of the disorder.