I hope that people here have been officially diagnosed with OCD

Just now, Ashley said:

You're speaking to people who have lived with and dealt with OCD for many years. They are experts in their own experiences, as you are in yours. But I get the impression you are 'assuming that your experience is therefore the same for everyone with OCD, it's not. 

Your impression is completely wrong, in fact I've stated a couple of times that people with OCD differ.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, DeathSlave said:

What I AM saying is that OCD works as an amplifying machine, and that in SOME cases under a lot of pressure and no professional help one could endanger himself, so If we speak mathimatically in order to disprove a formula of a sequence you only have to bring one case where the formula fails, and I've brought mine - me. I am a living proof for the saying that "SOMEtimes OCD could bring you into a dark place". I think to generalize and say that every OCD sufferer couldn't get into such a place is beyond retarded, and quite frankly just invidious.

Some of the language you are using to get your point across is quite offensive. Perhaps you could rephrase it so people take your opinions on board.

4 minutes ago, DeathSlave said:

What I AM saying is that OCD works as an amplifying machine, and that in SOME cases under a lot of pressure and no professional help one could endanger himself,

Of course someone could endanger themselves if they are carrying out dangerous compulsions. But you stated that 'to say OCD people are not dangerous is also wrong' which is basically you saying that people with OCD are a danger, and that's a very different thing which is simply not true. 

Just now, Rox said:

Some of the language you are using to get your point across is quite offensive. Perhaps you could rephrase it so people take your opinions on board.

Yes I see people get offended, but I don't understand why the need to focus on the bad side of it.

Yes, people here don't want to look like they need a shrink, but my point isn't completely out of nowhere, again, people keep forgetting OCD is registered as a mental disorder in the DSM for a reason.

I assume the most annoying was to sugget people with OCD could be dangerous, but they just twist my arguments to get offended and i'm not here to offend or troll and I've stated that OCD could amplify negative aspects, what's so offensive here ? You can't say NOBODY with ocd ever got worse because of OCD, it's a blatant lie.

Just now, DeathSlave said:

Yes I see people get offended, but I don't understand why the need to focus on the bad side of it.

Yes, people here don't want to look like they need a shrink, but my point isn't completely out of nowhere, again, people keep forgetting OCD is registered as a mental disorder in the DSM for a reason.

I assume the most annoying was to sugget people with OCD could be dangerous, but they just twist my arguments to get offended and i'm not here to offend or troll and I've stated that OCD could amplify negative aspects, what's so offensive here ? You can't say NOBODY with ocd ever got worse because of OCD, it's a blatant lie.

People like me get offended by that and focus on that becuase we have Ocd that’s what happends in Ocd and also I have intrusive thoughts of killing people so now I take it I’m a danger to people and my child becuase you have said that 

2 minutes ago, battlethrough said:

I agree, i find it quite offensive 

Like what exactly ? I have retracted a few of my statements realizing they weren't accurate.

To recap - 

1.OCD amplifies negative thoughts - So when somebody is surrounded by thoughts as I have to a point where I wanted to scream it's no heavenly sight, and this type of stress hurt people, and thus OCD COULD worsen anger.

2.People with OCD differ no doubt, BUT there are common patterns, otherwise you couldn't constuct OCD into the DSM because you need things like criteria.

1 minute ago, Snowdog said:

People like me get offended by that and focus on that becuase we have Ocd that’s what happends in Ocd and also I have intrusive thoughts of killing people so now I take it I’m a danger to people and my child becuase you have said that 

God forbid no, I said it worsens symptoms of existing aspects, but if you don't have for instance anger issues most likely nothing will happen regarding this aspect. You're a calm person with no anger issues, generally say, I didn't say you could actually go and hurt somebody, even I haven't done such things despite my anger issues.

3 minutes ago, DeathSlave said:

Ok time to take a step back.  The problem is DeathSlave, you have come on here making posts in a manner which you are stating as fact, when in fact it's your opinion. I am guessing that part of the problem is the language, I don't know if English is your first language or not. I think you need to take a step back and understand OCD from others perspectives, not just your own. 

Also forget the DSM references, it's American and we're a UK organisation and I hope to god that our health professionals take the current DSM (OCD section) with a huge pinch of salt. 

1 minute ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

I understand that you have autism which affects how you interact but I do think you are being quite confrontational considering this is a website which is meant to provide care and support.

I'm sorry, I'm really here just to discuss and take off that burden that I carry.

I'm not here to irritate anyone because I'm used to see autistic people but sadly I a part of the ASD is that sometimes I offend without wanting to.

1 minute ago, DeathSlave said:

I'm sorry, I'm really here just to discuss and take off that burden that I carry.

I'm not here to irritate anyone because I'm used to see autistic people but sadly I a part of the ASD is that sometimes I offend without wanting to.

I understand :) It is good to heear other perspectives.

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Ok time to take a step back.  The problem is DeathSlave, you have come on here making posts in a manner which you are stating as fact, when in fact it's your opinion. I am guessing that part of the problem is the language, I don't know if English is your first language or not. I think you need to take a step back and understand OCD from others perspectives, not just your own. 

Also forget the DSM references, it's American and we're a UK organisation and I hope to god that our health professionals take the current DSM (OCD section) with a huge pinch of salt. 

Your pharsing was quite offensive, for a moment I thought you meant  DeathSlave is the problem.

No need to focus on the previous statements if I've provided you with a better one that explains it better.

Just now, DeathSlave said:

No need to focus on the previous statements if I've provided you with a better one that explains it better.

That's not really how a forum works.  When you post, people are going to comment... they aren't going to wait for the person to post a second, better phrased posting. 

5 minutes ago, DeathSlave said:

God forbid no, I said it worsens symptoms of existing aspects, but if you don't have for instance anger issues most likely nothing will happen regarding this aspect. You're a calm person with no anger issues, generally say, I didn't say you could actually go and hurt somebody, even I haven't done such things despite my anger issues.

Ok thank you for explaining better..I hope you don’t think I was being rude I was just putting my opinion across.. 

1 minute ago, Snowdog said:

Ok thank you for explaining better..I hope you don’t think I was being rude I was just putting my opinion across.. 

No problem you're great, it's just that I've come from the depths of a worse place, a place where the demons lurk and humans hide, but i'm serious lol where I come from things are a lot more offensive, guessing by the atmosphere here you would throw up just seeing this place.

I’m specifically talking about the use of the  word ‘retarded’ and the fact that the way you are wording things sounds like you are suggesting that people with OCD are dangerous. 

8 minutes ago, Rox said:

I’m specifically talking about the use of the  word ‘retarded’ and the fact that the way you are wording things sounds like you are suggesting that people with OCD are dangerous. 

Yeah I see.... It's understandable

Deathslave I can completely relate to the anger issues probably borne out of frustration. I ended up punching walls one time and I can relate to the incessant intrusive self blaming embarrassing thoughts that seem to launch when something else goes wrong. In the past when I have felt on the edge and this has happened I have wanted to go berserk and wreck things (but haven't because I've also the fear of doing something bad). What a mess. But I can relate totally to what you have said :)

Hi deathslave, I know that having ASD can complicate matters along with OCD, my son has both and while he does struggle with anger issues, he is quite the opposite when in the throws of OCD, what you must be careful of is giving people with OCD and ASD the wrong impression as someone else may have both and think they’re capable of being dangerous to themesleves and others. 

I do agree however that people with OCD can be dangerous, for example, someone who has no problem in hurting another person will not have intrusive thoughts around hurting others but they may have OCD around health, people who do have thoughts around harming others will never do that and are the least dangerous people u can come across. Dangerous people are not exempt from having OCD but to imply that OCD can make someone dangerous is just not accurate. 

1 hour ago, Wonderer said:

Hi deathslave, I know that having ASD can complicate matters along with OCD, my son has both and while he does struggle with anger issues, he is quite the opposite when in the throws of OCD, what you must be careful of is giving people with OCD and ASD the wrong impression as someone else may have both and think they’re capable of being dangerous to themesleves and others. 

I do agree however that people with OCD can be dangerous, for example, someone who has no problem in hurting another person will not have intrusive thoughts around hurting others but they may have OCD around health, people who do have thoughts around harming others will never do that and are the least dangerous people u can come across. Dangerous people are not exempt from having OCD but to imply that OCD can make someone dangerous is just not accurate. 

On ASD and OCD, how can you differentiate between obsessive rumination and the analysis that is involved with Aspergers and how can you prevent an anxiety-relieving sensory activity (like fiddling with something) from becoming a safety seeking behaviour/compulsion? 

This is so confusing and so depressing

I would say, with my son, obsessions related to ASD are normally pleasurable such as a special interest and that self soothing things such as sensory input or hand flapping are comforting and a pretty normal thing when it comes to ASD. The reason my son was diagnosed with OCD as a comorbid condition was because he began having intrusive thoughts which he then went on to carry out compulsions to relieve, he did not have these symptoms until he was 9yrs old despite being diagnosed with ASD at 4yrs old. This was new to him and did not seem to be related to his ASD. Please don’t think of it as depressing, having ASD and OCD is not the end of the world, you know yourself best, if there’s things u do that don’t distress you but seem to be out of the “ordinary” to other people then so what?! Just work on the things that are causing distress and impacting on u negatively or interfering with ur normal life. I can’t be 100% on how to explain it because of course I can’t get into my sons head and also everyone with ASD is a unique person in their own right and won’t necessarily have the same issues or thinking process as the next, just like everybody else! Xx