I hope that people here have been officially diagnosed with OCD

Hi everyone

Lots of good and interesting questions getting asked, yeah I thought I'll chip in.

It's me again. (I have ASD and ocd as well)  I think I still do the hand shaking as it was something I started doing a long time, it was more severe a long time ago where I would pick up coat hangers or other toys or objects I could find and start to shake them. I tend to be more secretive now when it comes to the hand shaking, maybe people still notice but it's not what it was like in the past. I do believe our thinking can be a bit different with ASD.

I have a great interest in quiz shows where I enjoy remembering quiz related facts.

I went through a very strange phase, this was probably something I never mentioned about much as I was probably focusing on the harm ocd more but maybe this is part of ocd or asd where my mind was telling me to do things and those things did seem a bit dangerous. I stuck the sharp part of the pencil into wires that were around the house, I must of been around the age of 13. It was scary, feeling like you have to do the thoughts you are getting. My mind was telling me to bite down hard on the wires, I had braces on at the time. I remember biting some wires, it was old wires and some new ones.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, grams88 said:

Hi everyone

Lots of good and interesting questions getting asked, yeah I thought I'll chip in.

It's me again. (I have ASD and ocd as well)  I think I still do the hand shaking as it was something I started doing a long time, it was more severe a long time ago where I would pick up coat hangers or other toys or objects I could find and start to shake them. I tend to be more secretive now when it comes to the hand shaking, maybe people still notice but it's not what it was like in the past. I do believe our thinking can be a bit different with ASD.

I have a great interest in quiz shows where I enjoy remembering quiz related facts.

I went through a very strange phase, this was probably something I never mentioned about much as I was probably focusing on the harm ocd more but maybe this is part of ocd or asd where my mind was telling me to do things and those things did seem a bit dangerous. I stuck the sharp part of the pencil into wires that were around the house, I must of been around the age of 13. It was scary, feeling like you have to do the thoughts you are getting. My mind was telling me to bite down hard on the wires, I had braces on at the time. I remember biting some wires, it was old wires and some new ones.

Hey grams! Do you think you did those things without thinking of the consequences or did you know what could happen? My son was very frustrated a while back and in a lot of distress, he held a knife to his throat (scary) and also came down from his room very distresssd saying he was considering putting his fingers into his electrical socket, at this time he was very depressed and I knew we needed to get him help. He was aware of what could happen and thankfully did not carry it out. I think because he feels emotions in the extreme, he can have an extreme reaction to anger or frustration, thankfully nothing bad has happened to him! X

10 hours ago, Wonderer said:

I would say, with my son, obsessions related to ASD are normally pleasurable such as a special interest and that self soothing things such as sensory input or hand flapping are comforting and a pretty normal thing when it comes to ASD. The reason my son was diagnosed with OCD as a comorbid condition was because he began having intrusive thoughts which he then went on to carry out compulsions to relieve, he did not have these symptoms until he was 9yrs old despite being diagnosed with ASD at 4yrs old. This was new to him and did not seem to be related to his ASD. Please don’t think of it as depressing, having ASD and OCD is not the end of the world, you know yourself best, if there’s things u do that don’t distress you but seem to be out of the “ordinary” to other people then so what?! Just work on the things that are causing distress and impacting on u negatively or interfering with ur normal life. I can’t be 100% on how to explain it because of course I can’t get into my sons head and also everyone with ASD is a unique person in their own right and won’t necessarily have the same issues or thinking process as the next, just like everybody else! Xx

Thankyou for the post :) really v much appreciated :) 

Hi Wonderer

I think I knew what was going to happen or some sort of feeling, it was thoughts like if my mind was telling me to do something, I felt as if I had to do it. (Now my reason for acting on the thoughts are complicated but I'll have a go hoping not to confuse anyone. The main reason being was that I pictured myself living this life again but having not been strong enough to control the exact same urges so when faced with those thoughts it felt as if I had to act on the thoughts. It hopes it makes a little bit of sense as my mind did seem like an enigma back then.

Sorry to hear that your son was very distressed, that must of been frightening seeing him do that Wonderer. I think with those thoughts and actions we probably have to keep stress to a minimum, the same with myself, I think I'm handling stressful situations a bit better now than I used to. I did feel a bit suicidal around the time of getting a diagnosis and I was crying a few times not because of the diagnosis itself but because I was more able to talk about the ocd and I was letting the emotions get to me.

I did put a knife to my throat, it was more to do with the, (You would of acted on it if we relived the same moment). I did do the movement where I imagined myself cutting my throat, I did hurt myself a little bit by pushing the knife into the throat area.

Thanks sharing Wonderer and others.

Edited by grams88