Help with identifying a compulsion

I know I’ve posted a few times lately but if anyone is reading it would be helpful to have some input. 

Im having real difficulty commiting to anything in the future. Even if it’s the next day. The thought is ‘you can’t do that because you will have hurt [my son].’ 

Is avoidance of events in the future an OCD compulsion? Or is it related to my depression? 

Also, last time my ocd was spiked I knew it was rubbish the minute I bonded with my son. Today I have had loving feelings towards him but I’m still having harm thoughts. 

Any advice will be taken on board. 

I feel like every OCD person, well not everyone but most, automatically accuses the OCD. Truth be told I'm no different, but it's much larger than that. 

Every person's ocd amplifies different things, I'd sugget you actually go see a shrink, because with that little information you've provided it would be a sin to even suggest an actual answer for your question. Are you actually diagnosed with depression or you're just calling it so ?

Edited by DeathSlave

I’m actually diagnosed with depression and OCD and have been experiencing a major depressive episode since September. I have a separate  therapist and a CBT therapist that I have been seeing again since September. 

Edited by Rox
15 minutes ago, Rox said:

I know I’ve posted a few times lately but if anyone is reading it would be helpful to have some input. 

Im having real difficulty commiting to anything in the future. Even if it’s the next day. The thought is ‘you can’t do that because you will have hurt [my son].’ 

Is avoidance of events in the future an OCD compulsion? Or is it related to my depression? 

Also, last time my ocd was spiked I knew it was rubbish the minute I bonded with my son. Today I have had loving feelings towards him but I’m still having harm thoughts. 

Just wanted to say your not alone here with my harm thoughts I’m having the exact Same ones towards my daughter.. you will still have the thoughts towards him until you accept the thoughts has just thoughts and they can’t harm you I know it sucks im going it to.. keep strong 

xx

18 minutes ago, Rox said:

Aw yeah forgot to say yes that is a compulsion you are doing I learnt that one in Cbt.. I used to do that one ..now I don’t do it.. it was hard a first but it does get easier just remember it’s Ocd.. so just plans things yes your anxity and ocd will get worse at first but it gets easier with time x

15 minutes ago, Rox said:

I’m actually diagnosed with depression and OCD and have been experiencing a major depressive episode since September. I have a separate  therapist and a CBT therapist that I have been seeing again since September. 

Again I'm no shrink and I'm only diagnosed with autism ( ASD to be precise ) and ocd but no depression, I could still try and give a shot.

For me for instance my ocd and asd are like psycho brothers that help each other murder people. A really ugly picture to image but that's how I feel.

So my ASD would tell me to work according to a pattern that gets stuck in my head, and ocd would fill in the other part of just amplifying and repeating that pattern, just like I sad, two psycho brothers that work together for a bad cause.

Depression is often known as a motivation killer, so it's understandable that it could lower your will and motivation. OCD though works differently, and it fills you with fears.

For example, my ocd warns me that if I wouldn't lock my door a burglar could break into my hourse and possibly hurt me during the process. So a normal person wouldn't freak out and just lock the door, but the OCD could add fear and stress to it. I'd say in your case it's a combination of both OCD and depression. The depression is the part that lowers your motivation and the OCD is that part the fills it with fear and stress like you described, in general I think that a person with more than one diagnosed disorders or illness should always take into account all the variables and not just focus on one side of the equation.

I've felt like this before.  I remember I used to think "how can I plan anything for the future because I could be in prison by then"... (don't ask!)

A good exposure would be to really plan something for the future and carry on with it even when that feeling pops up, with an attitude of "I don't care OCD, I'm going to plan anyway". If that makes sense! x

15 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

I've felt like this before.  I remember I used to think "how can I plan anything for the future because I could be in prison by then"... (don't ask!)

A good exposure would be to really plan something for the future and carry on with it even when that feeling pops up, with an attitude of "I don't care OCD, I'm going to plan anyway". If that makes sense! x

I had this to I couldn’t plan nothing because I thought I be in prison by then to even mow I think I can’t leave that there in case I’m in prison but breaking that slowly x

45 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

This does make sense. There’s a run I did last year that normally I’d like to do. Perhaps I will book on to that as it’s something I avoided earlier. 

48 minutes ago, Skullpops said:

Hi Rox,

My goodness, 100% I experience this too! I can't look forward to anything! If you'd like to chat please feel free to drop me a message. 

Xx

It’s reassuring to know that others experience this. Thank you so much for your reply. I am aware that my posts are probably partly reassurance seeking. But I was genuinely trying to work out if it’s another compulsion I need to address or not. 

19 minutes ago, Rox said:

It’s reassuring to know that others experience this. Thank you so much for your reply. I am aware that my posts are probably partly reassurance seeking. But I was genuinely trying to work out if it’s another compulsion I need to address or not. 

Ah you're very welcome. I posted recently and was worried it may be/come across as reassurance seeking but Ashley advised me that it's only be reassurance seeking if I was repeatedly asking the same thing. 

Maybe try and not let OCD win and plan things for the future plan days out with your son and adventures and look forward to them because your a good person and you need to make memories as life is too short! X