Question about escitlopram

Hi I just moved up to 20 mg of escitlopram from 10mg and I’ve just done three weeks the first two weeks I was so calm normal no thoughts no nothing and the last two days has in day 20 and 21 I’m totally crazy I’m telling you..  I have extreme irritation and anger and it’s scaring me Becuase the nature of my thoughts I feel like I’m losing the plot here and it’s trying to twist my mind telling me I don’t like my daughter and I keep shouting at her Becuase everything is irritating me and I never do that it’s must be the increase am I right ? Someone else must have felt like this I feel like I’m only one who’s got this right now ..I’m sat here in tears ? is this normal I just don’t know I’m going to call my doctor tommrow I’m so so scared ? 

Do you know what i think? I think it's your OCD. OCD have an ability to make me angry and irritable like crazy. 

And you are doing compulsion when you analyze the situation. 

However, i am sorry for you feeling irritation because i know that feeling. It's not fun.

Edited by Isthisreality

It could be the dosage increase, your doing right by checking with your doctor.

I am on 20mg escitalopram, I didn't have any side effects after week 2. Remember we are all different when it comes to meds. I personally only find escitalopram helps very slightly for depression and not for my OCD.

9 hours ago, Isthisreality said:

Do you know what i think? I think it's your OCD. OCD have an ability to make me angry and irritable like crazy. 

And you are doing compulsion when you analyze the situation. 

However, i am sorry for you feeling irritation because i know that feeling. It's not fun.

7 hours ago, Bodger said:

It could be the dosage increase, your doing right by checking with your doctor.

I am on 20mg escitalopram, I didn't have any side effects after week 2. Remember we are all different when it comes to meds. I personally only find escitalopram helps very slightly for depression and not for my OCD.

Thanks for your reply’s I really appreciate it 

yeah I will give the doctor a call today thanks x

I would think it's likely due to the increased dose. If you did well on 10mg then you'll likely be okay on 20mg but you've just got to get past this side effect. Usually it goes away shortly but if you haven't seen an improvement in a week or so then it's definitely time to talk to your doctor. 

12 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

I would think it's likely due to the increased dose. If you did well on 10mg then you'll likely be okay on 20mg but you've just got to get past this side effect. Usually it goes away shortly but if you haven't seen an improvement in a week or so then it's definitely time to talk to your doctor. 

Thanks for your reply pb.. yeah i got up today and thought I do a week more and see how I feel if no improvement I know there putting me on Risperidone which I’m scared of so I wait for my appointment 

Edited by Snowdog
8 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

I'm on both escitalopram and Respiradone. I wouldn't worry too much about the latter. It will either work or it won't and it only takes about 7 to 10 days to see a difference, if there is one.

Ok thanks for your reply I see how I get on 

59 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Probably, yes. And I'm okay with that.

Sweet. 

It's just you seems to have such knowledge. Or you do HAVE such huge knowledge and you are no longer engaging. Are you afraid it will come back or maybe you are taking it because of depression? You don't need to answer. 

Ali Greymond said it is harder without meds but the therapy is the important part. She had severe OCD and recovered after she quitted the meds.

4 minutes ago, Isthisreality said:

Ali Greymond said it is harder without meds but the therapy is the important part. She had severe OCD and recovered after she quitted the meds.

I believe you can only truly be classed as recovered once you can cope without the help meds provide.

1 hour ago, Bodger said:

I believe you can only truly be classed as recovered once you can cope without the help meds provide.

I don't agree with that. I suppose it depends on what your definition of recovered is. I call myself an ex-sufferer. It fits.

1 hour ago, Bodger said:

I disagree.

I believe someone is recovered when they are living free of OCD rather than just 'coping'. Whether a person is on meds when they reach that point or not is irrelevant because freedom from OCD will never be achieved by meds alone. Recovery requires a change in thinking and behaviour, typically gained through CBT.

If someone is 'coping' with their OCD then they are not recovered whether or not they take medication to help them cope.