Why doesn’t gps know about my ocd

8 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

They are just not trained a lot on mental health issues. It's a problem that needs to be addressed.

Thanks for your reply pb 

yeah it does Becuase they just look at me like I’m mad and think I want to act on these thoughts 

In my experience, gp's have very limited knowledge on ocd. 

My own GP didn't know much about it, however she was eager to learn, and very understanding when I explained to her. Unfortunately not all gp's are as lovely as mine. 

Change really needs to happen. Not just with gp's either. I've lost count of how many times I and other sufferers have said had we known what ocd actually is then we might have known much, much sooner what was going on for us. 

To be fair can we expect every single GP to know every little aspect of OCD? I don't think we can.  But, for sure we do need to do more to help them understand the OCD process/cycle, so if someone presents with any aspect of OCD with luck they will be able to identify.

We actually have a bit of an idea and way forward on this, still early days but I am just trying to find some funds to make some headway on this.  As always if you have £24 spare to become a member please do so, not only does it help pay for this forum, it also allows us to deliver more support and awareness services outside of this forum. :)

My GP didn’t know much about OCD but wanted me to explain things and he has been amazing about all of it and he went out of his way to get more info and when I saw him after my initial appointment he knew way more! I had a gp on the past who didn’t know much about OCD but spotted anxiety right away by what I was saying. I have to say I’ve had a pretty positive experience with most of the professionals I have met, bar one. And I never had The typical contamination worries or anything so I was pleasantly surprised! Xx