LOOKING FOR A PRIVATE PSYCHIATRIST

Hi,

I am looking for a recommendation please for a private consultant who knows about OCD.  Anywhere in England or Wales - ideally the Midlands.

My problem is that my 16 year old ticks all the boxes for OCD in terms of instrusive thoughts \ urges to harm others, but the local NHS CAMHs department are adamant that she does not have OCD.

I  am confused and need a second opinion but finding someone who could see her privately is not easy - so I am hoping that someone knows of a psychiatrist who knows about this area in particular.

Any names would be hugely appreciated. 

Thank you in advance.

Hi insomnia62 and welcome to the forum. :welcome:

Was your GP supportive of the idea your daughter has OCD? It doesn't have to be a psychiatrist who makes the diagnosis. My suggestion would be to go back to your GP as a first step and ask for a second opinion/referral and for advice on how to proceed with CAHMS. Your GP should also be able to help you find a local private psychiatrist if that's the route you decide to go. 

The recommended treatment for OCD is CBT. You only need to involve a psychiatrist if medication is being considered. Otherwise you could go straight to a private CBT therapist (if paying privately is an option.) 

Do you have any idea why CAMHS thought it wasn't OCD? Regardless of diagnosis they have a teenager on their books who has a problem so they need to formulate a response plan. What did they offer by way of treatment/management? Have they discharged her?

Is your daughter on board with wanting help? Sometimes young people hide their symptoms or play it down when describing their problems to strangers (camhs) and this leads to services thinking things aren't as bad as they are.

Have you considered a self-help book to educate yourselves on OCD and it's treatment? Information is power when it comes to fighting your corner! My recommendation would be Break Free from OCD but there are many others to choose from. These kind of books provide an understanding of what compulsions are, how to recognise them so you can stop, and how the meaning given to thoughts produces the anxious response. 

Sorry to hear of your problems with CAMHS.  Have you managed to find a solution.  We are in the same boat and I know how frustrated you must feel.  My daughter has ended up dropping out of school.  Have you managed to find a way forward yet?  We are looking for a private psychiatrist in the Nottingham area for a professional diagnosis.  I am sure if she sees the right person she she should get heard correctly.