1 hour ago, Caramoole said:

Did you see Doctors Skullpops?

I've just watched it on bbc iplayer Caramoole. It was done well I must say, I particularly liked that when it is suggested to the character that he is suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder he says something along the lines of "what?! People who wash their hands a lot and turn switches on and off...I don't do any of those things!" 

The doctor goes on to explain why that doesn't mean he isn't suffering from OCD. 

Not only did they include the stereotypical media idea of ocd being about hand washing/checking switches only, they then worked it into the storyline to explain what OCD actually is. 

I believed the "hand washing" portrayal of ocd before I was diagnosed, I didn't have a clue what it really was like and perhaps if I had I might have known what was going on for me. I'm sure there are loads like me who were in that position too. 

Well done Doctors! 

7 hours ago, Caramoole said:

Yes, I agree, it was well presented.  It will be interesting to see if the story line continues :)

Yes, I'm interested to see if they continue the storyline too. It'd be good if they carried it on to show him starting meds and getting therapy. 

Perhaps he will self-refer via IAPT. What happens from there on would be interesting. 

Would they truly represent how long it can take to get seen, and the hoops through which the sufferer must dance? 

2 minutes ago, taurean said:

Perhaps he will self-refer via IAPT. What happens from there on would be interesting. 

Would they truly represent how long it can take to get seen, and the hoops through which the sufferer must dance? 

I thought that too Roy, about how long it can take to be seen. Some might say that would be dragging the storyline on but if it were to be realistic then so be it. 

If Doctors do what they normally do, Jimmy will visit him at home, he'll ring the mental health team to organise CBT, personally drive him to the hospital, meet him the following day for a walk in the park to discuss how he went on, then meet up with his girlfriend to explain it all to her!! :a1_cheesygrin:

Don't know where their surgery is but it sure does give good service!!!! :lol:

6 hours ago, Caramoole said:

If Doctors do what they normally do, Jimmy will visit him at home, he'll ring the mental health team to organise CBT, personally drive him to the hospital, meet him the following day for a walk in the park to discuss how he went on, then meet up with his girlfriend to explain it all to her!! :a1_cheesygrin:

Splitting my sides laughing. :lol: 

6 hours ago, Caramoole said:

:lol: this tickled me :a1_cheesygrin:

Golly, does this surgery feature in Private Eye's "Things You Seldom See"?

I tried to get a home visit by the doctor for Julie, but the request was swept aside as if I was asking for the world. We had to make do with a conference call consultation. 

Apart from appearing as a patient in "Doctors" :) what exactly do you have to do / what state do you have to be in to qualify for a home visit from the doctor nowadays?