How long before we recover

I think this is a question that cant really be answered Wood, it will vary from person to person. I think it depends on the severity of your OCD and how it impacts on your life, how many themes you have, how many compulsions there are etc. A lot will also depend on how well you adapt to applying the changes both the cognitive and behavioural aspects of CBT. So I think recovery is down to each individual and really it takes as long as it takes :yes:

7 minutes ago, Isthisreality said:

My biggest idol Ali Greymond talks about 6 months. But it is worst in the beginning. It depends on how long you have been doing compulsions and some themes will vanish faster than others.

Wow that is so amazing ? I’ve been doing my CBT now for two years and I’m still on my final few hurdles :) that goes to show how one person differs to another :( 

Thank you just asking as it was any like 1 thought but it got stuck iv been diasoned with ocd it' just I think I'm over it 1 day and wake up the next feel bad again start CBT next week just wondering if the thought ever goes

12 minutes ago, lostinme said:

Wow that is so amazing ? I’ve been doing my CBT now for two years and I’m still on my final few hurdles :) that goes to show how one person differs to another :( 

Yes it is a generalization, i have the impression she has all kind of patients, i would say that most here have severe OCD, that is my guess. I would also want to guess that people with PURE-O take a little bit longer, because they have done so many compulsions and they have them so close (in their head). 

It is impossible to say really. BUT it will be easier and easier, hardest in the beginning. Which really is cruel because that is when you are the weakest but that is how OCD have made itself so popular i guess. I mean around 2% of the human population seems to be involved in this condition. 

Edited by Isthisreality
Just now, Wood123 said:

Thank you just asking as it was any like 1 thought but it got stuck iv been diasoned with ocd it' just I think I'm over it 1 day and wake up the next feel bad again start CBT next week just wondering if the thought ever goes

You should never care about how you feel from day to day. Judge on weeks instead. Do you feel better week 2 than week 1. Well then do you probably do something right. 

It's not a question that can have a definitive answer - the journey is not linear.

But I would disagree politely with the post above because in my view one day at a time IS important. OCD/anxiety etc. can wax and wane as I've found over 20+ years.

Sometimes we feel like we're ok and sometimes we feel a real mess.

That's why it's important to take good advice on board from long-term sufferers and do your utmost to see a competent therapist - here in the UK on the NHS (difficult as I have found) or if you have the funds see someone privately who has experience with this condition.

10 minutes ago, PhilM said:

It's not a question that can have a definitive answer - the journey is not linear.

But I would disagree politely with the post above because in my view one day at a time IS important. OCD/anxiety etc. can wax and wane as I've found over 20+ years.

Sometimes we feel like we're ok and sometimes we feel a real mess.

That's why it's important to take good advice on board from long-term sufferers and do your utmost to see a competent therapist - here in the UK on the NHS (difficult as I have found) or if you have the funds see someone privately who has experience with this condition.

That is what i meant, OCD can wean of on its own. Recovery is supposed to make the thoughts go away (after you have been through the anxiety, which comes from not doing compulsions) but the thoughts can be less intense some days of reasons we can't control. 

So if you have done compulsions the day before and feel better the day after should you not take this as you are doing it right, it can mean that your OCD just weaned off. But if you look week 2 and sees that you are feeling worse than week 1 is it more safe to say that you are doing something wrong.

Edited by Isthisreality
5 minutes ago, Isthisreality said:

That is what i meant, OCD can wean of on its own. Recovery is supposed to make the thoughts go away (after you have been through the anxiety, which comes from not doing compulsions) but the thoughts can be less intense some days of reasons we can't control. 

So if you have done compulsions the day before and feel better the day after should you not take this as you are doing it right, it can mean that your OCD just weaned off. But if you look week 2 and sees that you are feeling worse than week 1 is it more safe to say that you are doing something wrong.

Thank you 

2 minutes ago, Isthisreality said:

Recovery is supposed to make the thoughts go away 

I’m sorry Isthisreality but I think if we think by doing the work that the thoughts will go away, then we are in for a downfall :( everyone has intrusive thoughts even people without OCD, but we learn how to interpret them differently. Don’t get me wrong they probably won’t be as frequent but believing they will stop isn’t a good thing, because as soon as you think your getting better and an intrusive thought pops up you will go straight into panic, anxious mode :(

I hope you can make it. The worst time are when you start out. You have to see it as you are working long term. It will get easier and easier, that doesn't mean that you can't get really bad anxiety from bad to time, but it will feel better overall. 

13 minutes ago, Isthisreality said:

So if you have done compulsions the day before and feel better the day after should you not take this as you are doing it right 

I’m sorry but isn’t this going against what we are suppose to be doing ? We are suppose to be avoiding doing compulsions? If we feel better the day after doing compulsions we are not doing it right because we are buying into the idea that doing the compulsions are making us feel better? 

18 minutes ago, Isthisreality said:

But if you look week 2 and sees that you are feeling worse than week 1 is it more safe to say that you are doing something wrong.

I’m not totally sure that I agree with this? It can be down to a number of things it doesn’t always necessary mean your doing something wrong, sometimes we can feel worse even when we are doing things right, so it’s not always a good indicator that we are doing something wrong :no: 

1 minute ago, lostinme said:

I’m sorry Isthisreality but I think if we think by doing the work that the thoughts will go away, then we are in for a downfall :( everyone has intrusive thoughts even people without OCD, but we learn how to interpret them differently. Don’t get me wrong they probably won’t be as frequent but believing they will stop isn’t a good thing, because as soon as you think your getting better and an intrusive thought pops up you will go straight into panic, anxious mode :(

Yes yes to everything, i agree, but i mean having them as much as we have because we feed them. Normal people don't get the same intrusive thought as often.

And YES we need to understand that we will panic in recovery even when we don't expect it. Even when we have done the work a longer time. IF we don't understand this, is the risk high that we don't care as much when the anxiety hits and we fall back to compulsions. I wouldn't call it getting lazy but less aware. 

5 minutes ago, Wood123 said:

I will dam try my best mate Haas it been the worse 3 months of my life

It can be really bad when it is bad. :(

1 minute ago, Isthisreality said:

Yes yes to everything, i agree, but i mean having them as much as we have because we feed them. Normal people don't get the same intrusive thought as often.

And YES we need to understand that we will panic in recovery even when we don't expect it. Even when we have done the work a longer time. IF we don't understand this, is the risk high that we don't care as much when the anxiety hits and we fall back to compulsions. I wouldn't call it getting lazy but less aware. 

It can be really bad when it is bad. :(

Hi mate yes it was bad I was sectioned in hospital for 2 weeks as when I went to doctures there didn' t understand so there force me to tell my partner also call social services on me so as of this my only hope was to end my life 

1 hour ago, Isthisreality said:

My biggest idol Ali Greymond talks about 6 months. But it is worst in the beginning. It depends on how long you have been doing compulsions and some themes will vanish faster than others.

Watch loads of her mate 

1 minute ago, lostinme said:

I’m sorry but isn’t this going against what we are suppose to be doing ? We are suppose to be avoiding doing compulsions? If we feel better the day after doing compulsions we are not doing it right because we are buying into the idea that doing the compulsions are making us feel better? 

I’m not totally sure that I agree with this? It can be down to a number of things it doesn’t always necessary mean your doing something wrong, sometimes we can feel worse even when we are doing things right, so it’s not always a good indicator that we are doing something wrong :no: 

I am only saying that we should NOT judge how we are doing the work by looking at how we feel from day to day. 

First step is to understand that we will get MORE anxious when we stop compulsions. 
But when we actually do stop doing compulsions do we start to recover. 

I think it is a important point because i see many people asking why they are not feeling better when they have stopped doing compulsions, that is acutally a good thing. If you don't get more anxious by not doing compulsions are you doing compulsions. It could be in some extreme case that the OCD just weaned of by itself but in general. 

8 minutes ago, Wood123 said:

Hi mate yes it was bad I was sectioned in hospital for 2 weeks as when I went to doctures there didn' t understand so there force me to tell my partner also call social services on me so as of this my only hope was to end my life 

That is awful! When they doctors don't even know how to treat it but they have the authority. They are only making it worse, atleast they should have the dignity to admit that they don't know enough!! 

But you are not alone with it just because one doctor don't know how to treat it. 

I really hope you recover, find a therapist if you haven't yet, but you can start the recovery without one. Treat it as OCD

Edited by Isthisreality
6 minutes ago, Isthisreality said:

I am only saying that we should NOT judge how we are doing the work by looking at how we feel from day to day. 

First step is to understand that we will get MORE anxious when we stop compulsions. 
But when we actually do stop doing compulsions do we start to recover. 

I think it is a important point because i see many people asking why they are not feeling better when they have stopped doing compulsions, that is acutally a good thing. If you don't get more anxious by not doing compulsions are you doing compulsions. It could be in some extreme case that the OCD just weaned of by itself but in general. 

I hope thank you everyone 

2 minutes ago, Isthisreality said:

That is awful! When they doctors don't even know how to treat it but they have the authority. They are only making it worse, atleast they should have the dignity to admit that they don't know enough!! 

But you are not alone with it just because one doctor don't know how to treat it. 

I really hope you recover, find a therapist if you haven't yet, but you can start the recovery without one. Treat it as OCD

Hi mate I know and first appointment next week tbf once I met mental health at the hospital there contact everyone to say I'm no danger it was just blown out the window of never been so scared of anything in my life but ocd  my partner understands a lot more now as we all had a meeting with mental health and there explained everything while I was in hospital I had appointments with the hospital therapist who diasoned me with ocd and told me he didn't want me in here due to my fear being my son he wanted me to face it if it weren't for him I'd prob be still there as he requested them to release me as I was no threat 

11 minutes ago, Wood123 said:

Hi mate I know and first appointment next week tbf once I met mental health at the hospital there contact everyone to say I'm no danger it was just blown out the window of never been so scared of anything in my life but ocd  my partner understands a lot more now as we all had a meeting with mental health and there explained everything while I was in hospital I had appointments with the hospital therapist who diasoned me with ocd and told me he didn't want me in here due to my fear being my son he wanted me to face it if it weren't for him I'd prob be still there as he requested them to release me as I was no threat 

It is good that you understand that you have OCD. OCD is tough enough, shouldn't need to handle with worthless doctors on top of that. But you got diagnosed so something good came out from it, try to see it that way. It is the same here, you need to find a therapist who actually know something about OCD, because there are many people who don't. 

But your experience is somewhat of a nightmare scenario for someone with OCD who is doubting himself/herself, and you naturally trust in the doctors authority so when they also are doubting....

Edited by Isthisreality
29 minutes ago, Isthisreality said:

It is good that you understand that you have OCD. OCD is tough enough, shouldn't need to handle with worthless doctors on top of that. But you got diagnosed so something good came out from it, try to see it that way. It is the same here, you need to find a therapist who actually know something about OCD, because there are many people who don't. 

But your experience is somewhat of a nightmare scenario for someone with OCD who is doubting himself/herself, and you naturally trust in the doctors authority so when they also are doubting....

I know mate thank you for message me hopefully I'll get lot b3tter once I start my CBT