It feels like it's going or gone?

Hi

I had quite an emotional therapy session on Tuesday. We focused on the 'memory' I was obsessing over. A lot of exposure to it, and a lot of me getting very upset. I recorded a script for me to listen to over and over for homework, making the script and recording it was horrible and upset me a lot.

Anyway the next day and I felt like a weight had lifted, the anxiety had gone, I was talking to people, they noticed I had completely changed. I don't feel the need to ruminate or check mentally. I can think about the thoughts and not get anxious or upset. The 'memory' which was panicking me now feels like nothing more than make believe as I've realised, if this happened then I'd truly remember and I'd have been wracked with guilt and confessed, the 'memory' feels synthetic because it doesn't add up. I still feel like I've done something and I've just forgotten about it, but nowhere as intense as it was. 

What has happened? Has anyone experienced this before? Can it just go away so quickly? Or is this the calm before the storm? 

Edited by Headwreck

I was a bit like this. For a year I obsessively timed my walking and freaked out if I did less than a certain amount a week. When I had CBT and had to stop myself timing, I was amazed how easy it actually was. I think having the courage to try is the hardest step.

Having said that I’m not cured, so no I’m sure it’s not gone away that quickly- you need to keep working at it and beware of other obsessions that may pop up in its place. But you’ve taken a good first step, well done. You should be proud of yourself, but keep up the hard work.

One day I did feel completely different, like it had gone. But please remember it can come and go, and obsessions can change.

if you have any points of stress or anxiety you may have obsessive thoughts. But how we react to the thoughts is what matters. Just try to take care of yourself and keep practicing what you learnt in therapy. I hope you continue to feel like this though :)

1 day is nothing. You don't recover like that. It is just a normal up, OCD goes up and down. Or it could be that you actually are doing compulsions.

I don't want to be dismissive but you shouldn't (really really) care how you feel from day to day. Don't analyze it too much

Edited by Isthisreality

It could be gone, maybe that bit of exposure made something click with you! I hope it is, enjoy the feeling! Just know that if it pops up again then put the work in and don’t let it get a grip on you! Good luck xx

My post above can come across as to dismissive even if i said it wasn't, if that matters lol. 

Great that your exposed yourself this week, that is the right path to recovery. But it can be tricky because OCD goes up and down on its own, so we can't totally depend on how we feel. It is a theme in itself, the recoveryprocess i mean.

I see a big risk in analyzing the recovery too much. So don't do that. 

I also find in myself that i get less aware when i am having a natural good period, to that extent that i think i haven't recovered because i fall back when it is getting easier (which is absurd) so i would like to advice you to always be aware of that. But you clearly exposed yourself and that is great. 

Edited by Isthisreality

It was a good day. You did the work and you came out ahead. That's awesome. Where you fell down a bit was analyzing your feelings to figure out if you should be feeling them. Learn to accept things as they are. Enjoy the good days. Don't analyze them.