22 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

doesn't use up adrenaline per se, but creates it. Which actually makes sense when you think about what exercise does.

I am not going to agree with that GBG. 

I have yet to see an athlete who is an adrenaline junkie.

Athletes balance things - their recovery time from the exercise is quick and they aren't anxious.

If we get anxious during exercise per se then, for me, it relates to from whatever anxiety condition we suffer, or a fear of aggravating/upsetting an injury. 

Anxiety is a mental state that causes mental and physical arousal. If there is a standard rational threat, it resolves either when we fight or flight, or because we resolve the threat and our internal "sentry" stands down the alarm. 

If it is extant from an anxiety condition when we exercise, or invoked during the exercise, the exercise per se isn't going to resolve it - we must resolve it using psychological tools. 

Edited by taurean
addition

I'm a passionate cyclist, well MTB to be precise, I find that a long hard ride can do wonders for the OCD, yes I get anxious when I'm out on the bike if there's other people coming toward me but I try my best to overcome it. I live in Münster which is the German capital city of bikes, seriously, every man and his dog has got one so I'm often faced with potential triggers when I'm on my way to the MTB trails which are only accessible by miles of cycle paths. If I get anxious mid ride I sometimes stop, but most of the time (and I don't reccommend this) I just find a technical section of downhill as dangerous as I can find, be it night or day and I'll ride it - because for those few moments going breakneck speeds dodging trees etc my mind is on the ride, not on something that I may or may not have done in 2008. 

7 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

I see what you're saying Roy, I'm just saying what my experience is.

Then hopefully the help from the members on the thread can help you change that experience for a better one :)

10 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

I'm a passionate cyclist, well MTB to be precise, I find that a long hard ride can do wonders for the OCD, yes I get anxious when I'm out on the bike if there's other people coming toward me but I try my best to overcome it. I live in Münster which is the German capital city of bikes, seriously, every man and his dog has got one so I'm often faced with potential triggers when I'm on my way to the MTB trails which are only accessible by miles of cycle paths. If I get anxious mid ride I sometimes stop, but most of the time (and I don't reccommend this) I just find a technical section of downhill as dangerous as I can find, be it night or day and I'll ride it - because for those few moments going breakneck speeds dodging trees etc my mind is on the ride, not on something that I may or may not have done in 2008. 

I hope you are doing well in Munster, i mean what happened yesterday.

I am cycling roadbike and i love it, because you need to be aware and you can't think about thoughts because then well... You will end up in a crash.  I am also cycling to get myself to the university. And i like them both because you are forced to concentrate on your body.

Edited by Isthisreality
16 minutes ago, Isthisreality said:

I hope you are doing well in Munster, i mean what happened yesterday.

I am cycling roadbike and i love it, because you need to be aware and you can't think about thoughts because then well... You will end up in a crash.  I am also cycling to get myself to the university. And i like them both because you are forced to concentrate on your body.

I'm ok thanks, Yes it was terrible what happened here yesterday, my phone did go a little bit busy for a few hours.

Yes OCD can't come in during rides because it's more than likely going to cause a crash, and i've nearly ended up swerving into the road a few times because I'd been looking back over my shoulder to check I hadn't run anyone over

I’ve found that running either gives me more time to ruminate which raises my adrenaline further and makes me a nervous wreck after, or if I’m able to stop thinking and be in the moment, it really helps me escape and calms me. Running outside tends to produce a calmer response than running on my treadmill x

Edited by Rox
4 minutes ago, Rox said:

I’ve found that running either gives me more time to ruminate which raises my adrenaline further and makes me a nervous wreck after, or if I’m able to stop thinking and be in the moment, it really helps me escape and calms me. Running outside tends to produce a calmer response than running on my treadmill x

I think this is the key. If during exercise our mind slips into carrying out compulsions, fear or dread, then our exercise experience will be spoiled by heightened arousal. 

Compare with my experience this morning in going to the health club. 

I arrived to a smile and happy chat from the receptionist as she swiped my membership card then served me a banana and coffee. 

A gentle read of the newspaper, with my mind just focused on that and breakfast. 

Fun in the changing rooms as I am still getting used to the electronic combination lockers. 

A light workout on various gym apparatus and stretches - my mind simply focusing on counting the repetitions, and noting any amendments to apparatus settings in my mini notebook 

A light shower then I carried out breathing meditation in the steam room then the spa. In breathing meditation you simply, in a safe environment, close your eyes, gently slow your breathing and take it in deeper, and just let your mind focus on that task. 

When I emerged from the pool area and showered, I then spoke with the manager and arranged to switch our membership to Northampton from London, as we have retired here. 

I left with a big smile on my face as we will get our memberships for about half the cost we were paying in London. 

Returning home (a short drive)  I was relaxed and feeling the benefit of the relaxation response from the exercise and meditation, and endorphins (the "happiness hormones")  that are triggered by aerobic exercise. 

Throughout the morning I felt calm and relaxed, my mind solely in the present, and purely in the moment. 

That for me is my experience of exercise, when I am not experiencing any worry or anxiety before during or after exercise. 

This, for me, confirms it's what we are thinking and feeling during the exercise that will create the anxiety, not the exercise. 

I do see what you are saying with this but I didn't really ruminate during my run this morning, in fact the run itself was really good and calming and I enjoyed it.  It was after I got back and an hour or so went by that anxiety started to really hammer.  And this is what I often find after exercising. 

There is more to be uncovered then as to why that happens; I am struggling to see any connection to the exercise though - anxiety states are about fear and threat and the resultant heightened arousal. 

Julie gets lowering of blood sugar levels, and then just feels tired physically and mentally, but not anxious. 

She brings something to eat with her when we go out, so that she can eat in these circumstances. Mind you, that issue might have been a precursor of this hyperthyroidism. 

10 minutes ago, Franklin12 said:

It’s amazing how our bodies are these chemical factories

yeah it is crazy and you never know exactly what will please or displease it, lol- mine is like a spoiled toddler having a tantrum most of the time :) 

how are you feeling now, are you doing a bit better than you were the other day?

Edited by gingerbreadgirl

Hey gbg 

I think its interesting that this never used to happen and is only happening now, which to me suggests it relates to the big set back you have had of late. I think you maybe be sub consciously monitoring how you feel afterwards or hoping you feel better - because you have felt so bad - so in a way you are over thinking it and now it has become a 'thing' that you are gking to be aware of each time you run. My simple advise would be keep running, its good for your health and you actually enjoy it. After you have ran just try to carry on your day as you normally would and try not to monitor how you feel. Hope i made sense x

9 minutes ago, Saz said:

Hey gbg 

I think its interesting that this never used to happen and is only happening now, which to me suggests it relates to the big set back you have had of late. I think you maybe be sub consciously monitoring how you feel afterwards or hoping you feel better - because you have felt so bad - so in a way you are over thinking it and now it has become a 'thing' that you are gking to be aware of each time you run. My simple advise would be keep running, its good for your health and you actually enjoy it. After you have ran just try to carry on your day as you normally would and try not to monitor how you feel. Hope i made sense x

That does make total sense and I think you have hit the nail on the head about me monitoring how I feel afterwards, and I've become hypervigilant of it.  Thanks Saz :) x

Hi, no I’m a bundle of anxiety at the moment. It’s so weird, I have just crumbled and am making zero effort to do anything that I know will help. I’m just allowing myself to wallow in self-pity, assuming the worst, avoiding, procrastinating, etc. It hasn’t gone full severe ‘OCD’ yet in the sense that I can’t stop thinking about it, it’s just at the anxiety stage. I think I won’t let it go nuclear, but I obviously need to address this one a bit better because currently I feel as though I just need a different career.

1 hour ago, Franklin12 said:

Hi, no I’m a bundle of anxiety at the moment. It’s so weird, I have just crumbled and am making zero effort to do anything that I know will help. I’m just allowing myself to wallow in self-pity, assuming the worst, avoiding, procrastinating, etc. It hasn’t gone full severe ‘OCD’ yet in the sense that I can’t stop thinking about it, it’s just at the anxiety stage. I think I won’t let it go nuclear, but I obviously need to address this one a bit better because currently I feel as though I just need a different career.

sorry to hear this Franklin.  It is awful when you're at that low point.  I don't really know what to advise that isn't what you already know - which I know is easier said than done.  Is there anything you can do to really motivate yourself to deal with it as if it was already "nuclear"? Could you force yourself to sit down with a pen and paper and come up with a plan?

Hope you feel a bit better soon :hug:

4 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

well I went for a run this morning,  I didn't eat anything beforehand (couldn't stomach it) but when I got back I had a big bowl of porridge and this seemed to really help :) So thanks guys for the advice!

That's great, GBG :). Carbs are always the answer :lol: