I’m a sporadic contributor, I’m afraid. I’m on here a lot when things are bad, but tend to avoid the forum when I’m doing well, as I try not to define myself by my ocd. 

So, you’ve guessed it, I’m on here, so things aren’t going well. The good news is that I’ve just checked my activity, and I haven’t started a thread since last August. That’s 7 or 8 months of my ocd being generally under control. This period took in Christmas, which is often a tricky time for me. Times when I’m not busy and at work always seem worse, as I have more time to ruminate. 

My ocd is mainly about contamination. Blood is my main worry, but anything else that might spread germs is also bad. With the weather (slightly) improving, my cat has taken to spending more runs outdoors hunting. The last few days, he has brought several mice into the house (alive) and chased them around until I’ve got rid of them. Now feel that the whole house has potentially mouse poo/urine on it. This has started the cycle of hand washing etc. So cross with myself, especially for googling the dangers of exposture to mouse faeces and urine. Worry about danger to my daughter, but also the danger of giving in to my compulsion to ask her to wash her hands etc.

back in the familiar dilemma of knowing there is a real danger, but also reacting inappropriately to it. 

Oh but what you think is a real danger is in fact very small. OCD lstches onto insignificant things and falsely blows them up into seemingly huge problems. It's all a big lie.

Stop the cleaning. Stop the handwashing. And stop the Googling. All compulsions and they only make things worse.

11 hours ago, Chelsie said:

I’m a sporadic contributor, I’m afraid. I’m on here a lot when things are bad, but tend to avoid the forum when I’m doing well, as I try not to define myself by my ocd. 

So, you’ve guessed it, I’m on here, so things aren’t going well. The good news is that I’ve just checked my activity, and I haven’t started a thread since last August. That’s 7 or 8 months of my ocd being generally under control. This period took in Christmas, which is often a tricky time for me. Times when I’m not busy and at work always seem worse, as I have more time to ruminate. 

My ocd is mainly about contamination. Blood is my main worry, but anything else that might spread germs is also bad. With the weather (slightly) improving, my cat has taken to spending more runs outdoors hunting. The last few days, he has brought several mice into the house (alive) and chased them around until I’ve got rid of them. Now feel that the whole house has potentially mouse poo/urine on it. This has started the cycle of hand washing etc. So cross with myself, especially for googling the dangers of exposture to mouse faeces and urine. Worry about danger to my daughter, but also the danger of giving in to my compulsion to ask her to wash her hands etc.

back in the familiar dilemma of knowing there is a real danger, but also reacting inappropriately to it. 

Amongst many other themes. I also have this! The mouse thing too. I’m fact we have just chased the cat out of the house 5 min ago with one. I can’t really help you because I am as puzzled as you as in hope do you know if it’s real danger or not? I just wanted to tell you you are not alone. 

Thanks, Polar Bear. Not at work this week, so went out for a lovely lunch with a friend. Now home and everything okish - just battling the early morning anxiety. 

Running - thanks for the solidarity!