Had a bad morning - woke up worrying about a contamination issue from the previous evening and spent the morning giving in to continuous cycle of cleaning, washing hands etc. First session like this for months, although I’ve been aware that I was winding up to it all week. I was brought up short by my daughter commenting on what I was doing and forced myself to stop. Am now sitting on the sofa with a book and a glass of cold water and forcing myself not to give in to the compulsions I feel - I have one foot that I feel I have contaminated and I’m desperate to go and wash it, but I’ve set a timer for an hour, and I’m hoping that if I can hold off until then, the compulsion will have eased. 

any advice to keep me going? 

Edited by Chelsie

Better end to the day - went out and got some fresh air. Should have done this straight away this morning. Felt I was hyper-aware if every perceived contamination danger, but pushed on through it and did shopping, put it away etc with no compulsions followed. Feel exhausted now! Hate feeling like this - when I go through several good months (as I have recently) I forget how bad it can be.  

Daughter just came in and laid on the floor in front of me - a real challenge as everything tells me to get her to each her hands and change her clothes! I will stay strong! 

I think I generally manage to keep some sort of sense of humour throughout my ocd. However, I do sometimes get the idea that life is having a laugh at my expense! Popped out to the kitchen to put dinner on - returned to the lounge and it looked like there had been a massacre. On investigation, it appears that the cat has hurt his ear. There was blood everywhere as he’d obviously been shaking his head. All over the sofa, up the walls, in between all the buttons on the tv remote, splattered over the floor! Of course, when i looked more closely, it was spread throughout other rooms too! Kitchen cupboards would have made a good CSI investigation! Anyway, I’ve cleared up all that I can find. However, I’m guessing I’ll be finding more in the days to come. This is going to freak me out, of course. Grrrrrrrrrr

Well done for getting out to work, and not freaking out! 

Do try and sit with the anxiety more - It’s not easy, but it will come down, and it does get easier! My therapist made me document my anxiety levels before and after. It helps you see the results. 

Good luck!