Hello

So during my last therapy session, I told my therapist I no longer suffer with the anxiety but I still have the thoughts and the belief, internal arguments etc. We discussed the meaning I have placed on the thoughts etc. He reminded me that OCD works in a cycle of:

Intrusive Thought  - > Anxiety - > Compulsions - > Relief/Reassurance 

But he has told me that I'm now missing the anxiety step and instead having a cycle of Intrusions -> Compulsions - > Relief/Reassurance (basically neutralising the thoughts).

Has anyone experienced this or heard of this before? I didn't think this could be a 'thing' with OCD with it being an 'anxiety' disorder although in my last episode which lasted 4 years I do know that the anxiety stopped eventually but the thoughts and belief persisted. I had several 'switches' during that time too which only lasted a day or so but the main theme would always remain. 

If this is a part of the process, do we know why this happens? Do we just get numb to the thoughts or bored of them? If so, why do they continue? 

Thanks. 

Edited by Headwreck

I guess you're right. Still find myself trying to 'figure it out' even though I know it is pointless. The lack of anxiety makes 'working it out' all the more appealing and easy to do as I can think for long periods of time without panic and can function quite well in comparison with how I was when this episode started. I'm at a loss!

9 hours ago, PolarBear said:

I guess my question is, what does it matter? You still have intrusive thoughts and compulsions so there is work to do.

I totally agree with PB. 

Also though, your anxiety was extremely high wasn’t it? Could it be that it’s just at a far manageable level, so was a 9/10, but now a 2? 

I’ve found at times I’m so used to being anxious, that a lower level becomes a bit of a ‘normal’ for me. 

The ‘figuring out’ really does have to stop. If you try not to figure it out does that create anxiety? 

The figuring out, it's not driven by anxiety anymore, rather just the urge to know. I know that nobody else can give me the answer, I know I can't give myself the answer either, it's just something I can't stop even though I know it's stupid. I'm actually bored with thinking about it but I continue to do so, this will be the 6th month now. Someone who had cheated or was genuinely unsure wouldn't even do this to themselves for this long. 

Edited by Headwreck