It is still going but should end soon, I hope.

Helen, I have medical OCD, which focuses on my period and other things. Also, please try to be more understanding, I do know what TMI means and it made me feel bad, this can discourage people from taking about their OCD, particularly if it is a sensitive subject.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You seem to do this all the time though Helen so I'm not sure what it is that you don't understand,. Some people's OCD focuses on medical/health issues and on subjects that aren't always appropriate for polite conversation. If you don't like the content of someone's threads then the better option would be to just not post in them at all, rather than feeling the need to post really unhelpful messages.

I do not do it all the time. If she had started her message with more explanation about her  ocd about being about her periods I would understand but there no need to go into detail and no need for ur comments

Edited by helen10937

Phili, what is the worst thing that OCD makes you think could happen re period? Imaginal script might be good, just read the worst possible scenario and let it be. Hit this topic on the head xxx

1 hour ago, helen10937 said:

there no need to go into detail and no need for ur comments

Helen, as others have pointed out, the problem here is your problem with understanding OCD fully.  If you make challenging comments then you shouldn't be surprised when others respond with comments.  Perhaps stop, think and move away from the thread.  If there is something that you think is inappropriate please use the report button and refer it to the moderating team.

All that said Phili......you have to look at your reasons for posting.  Consider whether it's a useful thing to do, whether it is helping your OCD (which you know it's not), what other things you could/should be trying which will be more helpful to you.  Posting symptoms and detailed explanations isn't the way forward.

1 hour ago, Orwell1984 said:

Phili, what is the worst thing that OCD makes you think could happen re period? Imaginal script might be good, just read the worst possible scenario and let it be. Hit this topic on the head xxx

It could kill me, how do i knock that on the head? 

I know it isn't the way forward but i can't see a way forward 

10 hours ago, Phili said:

I could be a sign that i am seriously ill

You could flip it around and recognise having a period each month is actually a sign that ur a healthy woman, the absence of a period would be more concerning than having one and even then the absence does not mean ur so ill ur going to die.x

I have polycystic ovaries or at least the doc said i likely do and i looked it up and it said slow periods or constant can be a sign something serious may be wrong because the lineing gets thick but mine have always been slow, it is because it stops and starts but once it comes through it is totally normal.

3 hours ago, Phili said:

I have polycystic ovaries or at least the doc said i likely do and i looked it up and it said slow periods or constant can be a sign something serious may be wrong because the lineing gets thick but mine have always been slow, it is because it stops and starts but once it comes through it is totally normal.

Philli, I tiny little bit of reassurance but I have endometriosis which affects my periods, very painful and periods can come late/early and be extremely heavy, knowing that these are symptoms of the illness I don’t sweat it despite those symptoms also being similar to other more unsettling conditions, I don’t dwell on them because the doctor has told me what I have and so I feel no need to worry, you must trust ur doctor and not dwell on ur symptoms, it’s not easy but u can do it.xx

• 3 weeks later...

So, in truth I have no idea how long it has been, I was going by an old message but it could have been from the one before. It is now finishing up with doing nothing, then a spot of brown and the odd splatter of pink. The CPN said to keep a diary for the next one. I am still anxious though.

6 hours ago, PolarBear said:

From an OCD standpoint that's the last thing you need to do. 

I agree. Detailing your period in a diary isn't necessary from a medical standpoint either.

I suspect your CPN means well, but in this instance Phili her advice isn't going to help you. 

Instead of writing symptoms in a diary, what about keeping track of little achievements you've made each day. That will be much more useful. :) 

Why hasn’t it stopped yet? Last time it leaked was Thursday but I am still seeing some red, mostly when i poo, enough red to colour some of the foam inside the pad. Why can’t I make it stop. I have a stress rash on my fingers. I am convinced I am going to die

1 hour ago, Phili said:

but why isn’t it finished now? 

Because it isn't. *shrug* 

Periods don't happen in neatly packaged textbook style. Anything goes. If you'll excuse the pun , we women just have to learn to 'go with the flow'. Not pleasant, but no big deal. The problem is every time you get any bleeding you think of it as a 'symptom' which sends you straight into health worry mode.

Treat all variations of bleeding in duration and colour as normal bodily functions, just like your heartbeat and your breathing. Don't even classify it as health related. Break that habit of thinking of your periods as a 'symptom'. 

2 hours ago, snowbear said:

Because it isn't. *shrug* 

Periods don't happen in neatly packaged textbook style. Anything goes. If you'll excuse the pun , we women just have to learn to 'go with the flow'. Not pleasant, but no big deal. The problem is every time you get any bleeding you think of it as a 'symptom' which sends you straight into health worry mode.

Treat all variations of bleeding in duration and colour as normal bodily functions, just like your heartbeat and your breathing. Don't even classify it as health related. Break that habit of thinking of your periods as a 'symptom'. 

But the internet said that very long periods are bad any sometimes periods can be constant which is worse

Googling 'symptoms' again, Phili? :wontlisten: 

Periods are normal. Long ones, short ones, missing ones, continuous ones - all normal. All expected. You don't need to keep a diary of it, or analyse it, or check anything. 

Yes, now and then irregular bleeding can be a sign of something health related, but 99% of the time it's not. Don't treat every drop of blood as if it was that 1% 

Like I said. To change this irrational fear you need to go one step further back and get out of the habit of thinking of your period as a 'symptom' or even as something that's health related.