2 hours ago, snowbear said:

Googling 'symptoms' again, Phili? :wontlisten: 

Periods are normal. Long ones, short ones, missing ones, continuous ones - all normal. All expected. You don't need to keep a diary of it, or analyse it, or check anything. 

Yes, now and then irregular bleeding can be a sign of something health related, but 99% of the time it's not. Don't treat every drop of blood as if it was that 1% 

Like I said. To change this irrational fear you need to go one step further back and get out of the habit of thinking of your period as a 'symptom' or even as something that's health related. 

Really? I’m so used to thinking of it as one. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Phili said:

Really? I’m so used to thinking of it as one. 

Then it's time for change don't you think?

As Snowbear has said, the advice given by the CPN was probably well-intentioned but wrong.  It's one of the worst things you can do.

So, what are you going to do to try and change your current behaviour?  For your own good it won't help you for us to let you post detailed descriptions of what's going on with your periods.  That's a big step back for you.

Along with the other thread you posted some time back, I'm more interested to hear what you're trying to do to change these many OCD & phobic responses.  Anything?

23 hours ago, Caramoole said:

You're carrying out a compulsion again Phili.  What are you going to try and do to resist this urge?

I haven’t been self harming for a while, at least a few weeks. I have been trying to ignore my sayings effect, I have been trying to be less nervous with my breasts and I a more planing on getting a little sit down peddle machine. The thing is, it is still spotting, I don’t know what to do.

1 hour ago, Phili said:

I haven’t been self harming for a while, at least a few weeks. I have been trying to ignore my sayings effect, I have been trying to be less nervous with my breasts and I a more planing on getting a little sit down peddle machine.

All good. Keep adding to that list. Keep pushing for more - don't settle for just this.

Self-harming now needs to become a thing of the past - you know better, you have other coping skills available.

Aim for no more self-harm ever again as your baseline and don't just pat yourself on the back for a few weeks of not doing it. Time to move forward and leave the unhelpful bits of the past totally behind you. :) 

The thing is, it is still spotting, I don’t know what to do.

Do nothing. Ignore it. 

I’m completely fixated on it, why won’t it stop? This morning it was blood red, I’m afraid, my tummy hurts but I don’t know if it’s period or upset tummy. I’m terrorfied of doctors, tests, I can’t even leave the house, I’m terrorfied

Sorry to hear that you are going through this Phili. Can you go by what your doctor has said, if your doctor says that it's normal for you to have it this long then I wouldn't worry. If they said, for example, come in if it's non-stop, then possibly you can talk to them on the phone?  (But still no use in worrying about it). There is a diet for PCOS but you would need to discuss with your doctor because I don't know what's best for you and am not a doctor. I know it's connected to insulin resistance (I have PCOS too). I would also consider asking your doctor about estrogen dominance and avoid fragrances, chemicals and other sources of xenoestrogens. 

But back to the OCD, could you teach yourself to accept your bleeding even though it must be frustrating? Try to say so what to it?

What are you doing to try and change your response to this obsession?  You've been advised that this isn't something to worry about but an obsession.  Looking back at your therapy sessions (and the advise here), what are you doing to change these destructive patterns?  What plans have you in place to challenge the agorophobia? 

I know it's tough Phili but sympathy alone isn't going to help you at all.  A plan and action are important if you want to move forward.

Its just, i mean it has slowed, its been brown to semi red smears for 3 days, it is worse if i strain on the toilet. I'm trying distractions but im fixated

You're fixated on a normal phenomenon, Phili.  But you're treating it like it's abnormal. 

Distractions only work so far.

Start getting your head around the idea that periods  - in every variation you can describe - are normal. Then no matter what you observe it stops being of interest to you. 

Still going, between nothing, very light brown, mid brown, pinky brown smears and just now, red, first red in days, very small amount and a tiny bit of congealed. I’m scared.

Helen, if you can't handle the subject matter then don't read the thread. You have a habit of making snide comments on other people's threads. It is not helpful.

What Phili is experiencIng Is OCD. It doesn't matter if it is pedophile thoughts, contamination issues or health concerns involving periods. It's all OCD.

8 hours ago, helen10937 said:

Tmi

Once is a mistake, twice is on purpose. You know what this thread may unfortunately contain, so why read it again?

I have so far avoided googling again. I am trying to think of it as normal but nothing is working 

Hi Phili, it’s great you’ve stopped googling :cheer:

How about when you go to the toilet you don’t look just wipe and go, you seem to be putting great importance on how much, the colour etc. This will only keep you going round in circles, your placing so much importance on it believing the OCD that there is something to fear. You feel compelled to look and examine and this is what is keeping you stuck :yes:

Phili it's merged into a new period. You've been worrying for a month now. Keep on not googling and try not to check the toilet. Accept the possibility it will bleed when it wants. It will do its thing regardless. 

13 hours ago, helen10937 said:

Tmi

Please Helen, we've been over this old ground before with you....you really do need to take on board Polar's point:

12 hours ago, PolarBear said:

Helen, if you can't handle the subject matter then don't read the thread. You have a habit of making snide comments on other people's threads. It is not helpful.

What Phili is experiencIng Is OCD. It doesn't matter if it is pedophile thoughts, contamination issues or health concerns involving periods. It's all OCD.

1 minute ago, helen10937 said:

Ok yeah I get it being ocd but why explain in detail about periods and I do not have a habit of making snide comments

Because part of my OCD is to compulsively list symptoms and what's it got to do with you anyway? You don't have to read it. It was explained on the first page, yet you come back weeks later to repeat what you have already said and been explained. I don't know if this is a compulsion with you, if it is then you have my deepest sympathy and understanding, if not then this behaviour is totally counter productive. It is hard enough for people to open up about mental illness, it is highly damaging for them to be shamed in a place meant to be a safe harbour. 

You already know that it is wrong as you apologized last time, so why are you repeating it?