Does the bad/anguish feeling ever go away?

I'm suffering with my ocd thougs for 5 years now. I already been told that I must stop ruminating, and allow the thoughts to stay and learn to live with it, right?

but I am still anxious, feeling those anxiety waves and bad feelings inside my head, you know?

i must learn to live with it and stop caring for this feelings? they ever dissapear? I did something wrong, they should have disappeared already? 

1 hour ago, bobbyassustado said:

I'm suffering with my ocd thougs for 5 years now. I already been told that I must stop ruminating, and allow the thoughts to stay and learn to live with it, right?

but I am still anxious, feeling those anxiety waves and bad feelings inside my head, you know?

i must learn to live with it and stop caring for this feelings? they ever dissapear? I did something wrong, they should have disappeared already? 

Maybe it does, perhaps it doesn't, but if you want to be in with a chance of the bad feeling going away, don't wallow too much in the wanting of it (no matter how painful). Despise the disorder rather than focusing on wanting the pain to cease. The opposite smacks of desperation - just what OCD loves.   

Intrusions, and the anxiety response to them, can fade when we correctly work out a course of CBT. 

It takes time, there is no quick fix - and we need to believe and fully engage with therapy to make it happen. 

Then when it does all come together, I can tell you the feeling is absolutely terrific. 

So as paradoxer says, quit the wallowing in self-pity and get going with CBT - whilst awaiting therapy self-help books on CBT for OCD can start you off. 

Check out books on the shop tab,main OCD-UK website - you can ï

Hey, I would say I’m in a good place of recovery but I still get anxiety feelings, my body was in a very high state of anxiety for a long time so I still have physical symptoms but I ignore them and have just learned to accept them, I’m assuming they’ll go with time but it’s been a long time and I just get on with it and don’t allow it to make me feel miserable, my anxiety at the moment is so much lower than it was and it is not in response to any OCD thoughts, it just kind of lingers there and I’ve decided to just get along with it rather than allow it to control me and it’s working for me at the moment.x

14 hours ago, bobbyassustado said:

Hi bobby,

Are you having any cognitive therapy (changing the meaning you give the thoughts) or is it just behavioural therapy (learning to sit with them and not react) ? 

The anxiety is unlikely to ever fully go away if the meaning you give things stays the same. For example if you believe things are contaminated; challenging the thought that the risk is real and gaining an understanding that the contamination is just a feeling will make the anxiety redundant. Telling yourself you must 'go dirty' isn't changing the meaning, you might not wash, but in your mind things are still contaminated. 

You need both the cognitive and behavioural parts of therapy if you want to overcome OCD completely.