Help! OCD is affecting my exams.

Im in my final year of a law degree, but my OCD is seriously affecting my revision, my exams are 4 weeks away and im starting to freak out. This time we are able to take handwritten notes in to one of the exams, something we have never be able to do before however it it taking me over an hour to write half a page of notes. I keep having to re-write, perfect, continuously stress over if I have written the write thing, used the right colour for my notes, order the page correctly, made any mistakes. By the end of the day I am so stressed out and have accomplished very little. at this rate im not going to be prepared for the exam. 

Help!! What can I do for short term relief, to get past this feeling and anxiety when making the notes and to not obsess about each one??

Edited by Chlo

Hi Chlo, welcome to the forum :)

Really sorry to hear you are struggling at the moment :(

Unfortunately there is never a quick fix with OCD issues, however I had the same problem re writing letters etc, checking re checking etc making sure everything was spelt right, that there was nothing said wrongly etc the list goes on and quite often I would have to rewrite multiple times :(

The more you check and recheck something the more doubt it produces so then starts the viscous cycle. Using the knowledge you already have :) write your piece that you need from what you have learnt, think positive, have faith and trust in yourself. Then only allow yourself one check on the final piece to make any corrections needed, you have to be adamant and stern with yourself to stick with it. This will cause your anxiety to rise initially but stick with it, it will subside :yes: the more you do it the easier it will become and hopefully you can turn this back around before your exams start :yes:

Good luck and all the best,  lost :)

40 minutes ago, lostinme said:

Hi Chlo, welcome to the forum :)

Really sorry to hear you are struggling at the moment :(

Unfortunately there is never a quick fix with OCD issues, however I had the same problem re writing letters etc, checking re checking etc making sure everything was spelt right, that there was nothing said wrongly etc the list goes on and quite often I would have to rewrite multiple times :(

The more you check and recheck something the more doubt it produces so then starts the viscous cycle. Using the knowledge you already have :) write your piece that you need from what you have learnt, think positive, have faith and trust in yourself. Then only allow yourself one check on the final piece to make any corrections needed, you have to be adamant and stern with yourself to stick with it. This will cause your anxiety to rise initially but stick with it, it will subside :yes: the more you do it the easier it will become and hopefully you can turn this back around before your exams start :yes:

Good luck and all the best,  lost :)

Thank you Lost! :) I will try to be more stern tomorrow and hopefully it will be more productive! 

Hi Chlo I’m sorry this is affecting you so much! Lost has given some great advice So def follow that :) you can also use relaxation excercises or herbal remedy’s to take the edge of the anxiety too xxx

3 hours ago, InOverMyHead said:

Hi Chlo I’m sorry this is affecting you so much! Lost has given some great advice So def follow that :) you can also use relaxation excercises or herbal remedy’s to take the edge of the anxiety too xxx

Hi, is there a particular herbal remedy you would recommend? Always thought of trying one, but I have never been sure. :) 

Hi Chlo my Mum and me both like Bach Drops, you can get different drops for different worries/emotions and it’s suppose to help those balance out, you can get more info and they sell them at  www.bachcentre.com they also sell general herbal remedy in pharmacists and the more specific ones in health shops which may be or may not be cheaper but it’s the same product :) also muscle relaxation/meditation twice a day you can download loads on your own phone and also have a little look at an app called What’s Up it’s really good xxxx

Respectfully, there are NO herbal remedies or supplements recommended for the treatment of OCD. None. If any of them actually worked we would be the first people to recommend their use. We don't. 

Edited by PolarBear
40 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Respectfully, there are NO herbal remedies or supplements recommended for the treatment of OCD. None. If any of them actually worked we would be the first people to recommend their use. We don't. 

I understand where you're coming from, but it is worth trying anything right now. Just until I get through my exams. 

24 minutes ago, InOverMyHead said:

I apologise I didn’t know, I was suggesting for the anxiety I know you need to let the anxiety rise after ignoring compulsions but I didn’t think it would hurt sorry.. @Chlo @PolarBear Was only trying to help x

No thank you for your help! Like I said anything is better than nothing right now :) It won't cure it, and it won't help in the long run, I had CBT numerous times in the past, but when I get this tired and stressed confronting my OCD is not always easy! if it can help calm my nerves short term then im willing to give it ago :) and if it doesn't then I've not really lost anything! 

Hi Chlo, I don’t think it will hurt trying a herbal remedy, but you must remember they can have side effects too and you must always check they are suitable to take at the same time as any other medication you are taking. It’s always best checking with someone first such as a pharmacist etc. They are pretty much the same as all other medication and take some time before they have any affect on you. I’m not saying rule it out, because they could help with the anxiety side of things, but it’s not a quick fix :no: The best thing to do is work on your behavioural side of things first and then look at the cognitive side of things also, I’m afraid this is the best way forward :yes: 

lost:)

Could you maybe try setting a timer for 30 minutes and write as much as you can in that space of time? Also would it help to allow yourself to write one draft sheet but then to keep the second one? 

@lostinme Thank you for your advice! I've been trying to be more strict. However instead of allowing myself to get caught up in it being perfect i'm forcing myself to make mistakes on purpose so later on I can't worry about one mistake as there are too many. It is still taking a long time but today has been much more productive. :) 

@BelAnna Ah thanks for your response. However, time frames are never good for me. I'm always adding up how long I have studied for as it is, and getting caught up if I don't do enough hours, I add up how long my breaks are, how many hours to the minute I have studied each day and then worry and feel guilty if its not enough. If I time frames slots as well I would then get too caught up in sticking to them. 
Draft sheet is a good idea though! :)