POCD and CBT - scared

Hi Iv started CBT and it's going quite well. I have told my therapist about the thought that scared me the most and that because I'm in a habit of always checking for a groinal response almost all of the time whether it be when I'm around my grandad or a young person... but I told her about the thought that really scared me when I was with my ex and I thought of his little girl (not in a sexual way AT all) just what we were going to do at the weekend and made myself get this groinal response and because I was so freaked out my anxiety/worry plummeted and because I read up on an article that some people get 'erections' or 'orgasms' with 'groinal response' and I worried what if I do it because the feeling of guilt and anxiety was making it worse. Anyway I told my therapist and she wrote down 'what if I orgasm' and it made me feel sick and I can't stop thinking about it obviously I didn't and wouldn't and it was the OCD but even saying that out loud is really making me feel like an awful person :/ 

Hi Chels :) I’m glad you have support from your therapist with this, I understand that seeing things written down is scary but sometimes it’s necessary for the therapist to write them down so you can recognise the pattern in your thoughts and compulsions. Keep working with your therapist and using your techniques you’ll get better xxxx

9 hours ago, Chels said:

I read up on an article that some people get 'erections' or 'orgasms' with 'groinal response' and I worried what if I do it because the feeling of guilt and anxiety was making it worse. Anyway I told my therapist and she wrote down 'what if I orgasm' and it made me feel sick and I can't stop thinking about it obviously I didn't and wouldn't and it was the OCD but even saying that out loud is really making me feel like an awful person :/ 

Somebody who could do with reading the December OCD-UK newsletter, we ran a feature on this type of OCD and how with every type of OCD the meaning and interpretation of our thoughts can cause emotions and emotions can cause body sensations.  It's absolutely normal for OCD, and it's important you understand how OCD works, and I don't mean POCD!!!! in fact I suspect the more you read about POCD the more damage you are doing to your recovery.   But it is important to understand how OCD works, when you understand that then you will understand what's going on with you and such thoughts about orgasms would no longer cause such fear, because you would understand that's all part of OCD.

Take a look at the OCD Roadmap image, it's not OCD specific because this model could apply to any aspect of OCD. 

OCDUKworksheet.jpg

Hi chels,

The more focus we give the more real it feels and that includes physical reactions. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that the groin feels like 'what if I let it get stronger or even orgasm' but it's anxiety and the general reaction to sex per se as a subject. Think about obsessing about any off theme, it all feels real and more real.

Ashely,

Thanks for posting the chart. It's brilliant. I particularly see myself in the measuring misinterpretation with my paedophile / underage obsession.

Thanks,

Njb

@Ashley thank you Ashley for that helpful reply! My last CBT session went really really well. She absolutely hit the nail on the head when I kept going on and on and on about what others would think of me that if I met someone how would they react if I told them about OCD and the worst thoughts I have had and she said why would you go meet someone and tell them you had OCD when that's not all you have to offer and doesn't define you as a person. Which is so true I need more confidence and need to start being more confident... I think my ex knocked my confidence in getting into a new relationship because he said I should never of got with him knowing I had OCD. I think I just need to put what I have learned in CBT into practice in my next relationship as in not confessing, not placing meaning on every thought and not telling them everything about my OCD or even that I have it fingers crossed I can be strong enough to do it! 

Hey Chels, I've been doing CBT for (P)OCD and other for over a year now and I still have big issues with the dreaded groinal response as its the one thing I'm having the hardest time not checking for even though I try hard to ignore it.  I know it holds no meaning, that its not relevant but I still can't shake the feeling at times that it means something.  I find its also been connecting with the relationship issue as a I feel bad for having them and the thoughts and that I'm just a bad person even though I know I'm not at heart.  Its so confusing at time but in the end I keep going and keep fighting back.  Good luck.  Cheers.