Considering Residential Treatment

5 minutes ago, Lynz said:

Yes I did follow them.

To be honest Ryukil your reply felt like you were just dismissing my advice because you didn't like what I said. If that is the case, then like Ashley said what is the point of any of us commenting?

You started the thread saying that you're seriously considering inpatient therapy because outpatient therapy didn't work for you, then when someone agrees with you and says "yes I do think you might need inpatient therapy" you respond with incredulity and dismiss the advice. Is this yet more evidence that you spend too much of your time ruminating on what therapy you think you should have?

Yep, you're correct. It's all tied up in my OCD. Truth is I'm not sure what to do. I guess my plan is to have made up my mind by the time I get back from Germany. But I have to be very careful to not let this become the new obsession (it's already starting to).

Anyway, tomorrow I will call insurance company and find out how all this will work. :)

Until then, time to give my mind a little rest. I might find this video helpful, lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUFvvlnCvSg

39 minutes ago, Lynz said:

Is this yet more evidence that you spend too much of your time ruminating on what therapy you think you should have?

I do think this is the heart of the problem. 

For me we stand to have the opportunity to get better using CBT when we :

Learn how OCD works - the cognitive part - so we can spot when it is in play. 

Learn how to wean ourselves off carrying out compulsions, and use refocus and distraction to break up anxiety cycles and compulsive activity. 

Work correct ERP in scheduled sessions of a moderate time duration. Personally I prefer using graded hierarchy. We repeat the exposure, reminding ourselves how the OCD is working through its false exaggerated or revulsion core belief, then intrusions, and we need not give belief to, or connect with, the OCD core belief. 

The anxiety response should reduce, and then ease away through these sessions. 

We then move on to the next trigger in the hierarchy, if there is another one. 

To my mind, failure to understand the cognitive side - especially the core belief and why it underpins our OCD ; failure to carry out ERP correctly ; and failure to follow the guidance and ease away from carrying out compulsions are just three reasons why sufferers fail in therapy. 

So, would you meet those requirements for success Ryukil? Because that is what I personally believe is necessary. 

To me, that is the necessity, whatever format of CBT we undertake,since  only we can make the therapy work. 

Edited by taurean
corrections

Just to add to that, we can have an excellent therapist, brilliant OCD self-help books, or book in to residential OCD treatment. 

But if we are not prepared to take on board what we are told, not fully committed to homework, and making thinking and behavioural changes, then it is not going to work. 

So, I found out my insurance will cover it 100 %. Which is great. So maybe I should just take the opportunity to do this. At the very least, I can get put on some medication that will help me (I don't mean I'm not going to do the exposures they assign, I just mean at the very least maybe I'll finally find a medication combination that works for me).

Anyway, I don't really know if I want to. Well, I don't WANT to, that much (although hanging out with other OCD sufferers does sound kind of fun to me). But...maybe it's really a good option. It's free anyway, might as well take it. I doubt it can do any harm.

My dad was like "do you really want this on your record?" I mean...I don't think it works that way, does it? Also, it's pretty annoying that people will view me trying to get help for my problem in a negative light. All part of the stigma, I guess.

But the next step is to drop off some papers at my therapist's office (he says he still thinks I can do it outpatient, but to tell you the truth I don't really want to go back to him). He's on vacation, so I'll try to drop them off before he returns.

36 minutes ago, Ryukil said:

My dad was like "do you really want this on your record?" I mean...I don't think it works that way, does it? Also, it's pretty annoying that people will view me trying to get help for my problem in a negative light. All part of the stigma, I guess.

I'm not sure what it's like where you live but over here having it on your record that you were an inpatient for therapy for OCD won't be much different to having it on your record that you've been diagnosed and are seeing a therapist as an outpatient. Also, I don't think anyone can access your records without you giving them authorisation to so yeah I wouldn't worry, but it is sad that some people still think it's better to sit and suffer rather than face the "shame" of having to go into hospital for mental health treatment.

On 10/05/2018 at 22:19, Ryukil said:

I have to be very careful to not let this become the new obsession (it's already starting to).

I think it already has.  I think we have to be very careful that we too don't become complicit in aiding this ruminative behaviour, no matter how well-written and seemingly rational it appears.  It may start out with genuine intent but rapidly it shows as being much of a muchness with other variations of the same theme :(

I don't know. I guess some of you thought it would be a good idea for me to go, especially considering what happened last time I went to therapy (the endless obsessing?). Anyway, while I'm there I would definitely not come to OCD sites looking for reassurance. If I started to, I should probably just alert my team that that's a major compulsion that needs to stop.

You're right though, Caramoole, this is all obsessing. I should probably just make a decision (either go or don't) and just stick with it. At this moment, I'm leaning towards go. I have a lot of time to ruminate though, because right now my former therapist is on vacation and I need him to fill out some forms. He said he would be willing to, but he's on vacation at the moment.

How do I think outside of my obsessing, though? Like...it's a big decision. I probably want to put some thought into it?

Basically, I've got a couple options: forget about McLean and focus on pushing myself to do exposures (possible, but difficult); go back to Dr. P after I return from Germany; go to McLean and hopefully be in an environment that is conducive to doing exposures because I'm surrounded by a bunch of other people doing exposures. Also, hopefully be able to find a helpful medication combination.

Bleh. Sorry, I'll chill out. I'm sure you all would be obsessing about this too! It's kind of a big deal.

Germany first, then inpatient or outpatient therapy. Daily outpatient therapy works too with heavily ruminative mindsets like yours. It certainly worked for me. Now that you know the treatment will be free, I hope this ends the time pressures you have set up in your mind.  I think you should put a block on posting or checking this forum throughout your holiday. The same answers we have given will be there when you get back. You need to start trying to resist trying to solve the doubt about your decisions and rechecking your decisions. Starve the OCD for a month and you will make good decisions that you have faith in when you return from holiday. Focus externally on the world and your friends, not internally on your decision making difficulties.

41 minutes ago, Orwell1984 said:

Germany first, then inpatient or outpatient therapy. Daily outpatient therapy works too with heavily ruminative mindsets like yours. It certainly worked for me. Now that you know the treatment will be free, I hope this ends the time pressures you have set up in your mind.  I think you should put a block on posting or checking this forum throughout your holiday. The same answers we have given will be there when you get back. You need to start trying to resist trying to solve the doubt about your decisions and rechecking your decisions. Starve the OCD for a month and you will make good decisions that you have faith in when you return from holiday. Focus externally on the world and your friends, not internally on your decision making difficulties.

:goodpost: