People joking about OCD in my workplace

And they're ok with it. Even the manager who I've told about my OCD and seemed so empathetic in the past joined in the laughter today. I had headphones in so tried to distract myself from the content of the jokes. I could hear OCD being mentioned a lot but I don't know in what context and everyone in my area of the office (7 people) were heartily enjoying themselves.

I wish I had never told work about my OCD and I wonder do they believe I have it or Aspergers or do they think I'm an attention seeker. I'm not giving this much thought because this could start rumination. I am shocked at my manager though.  I had to hide the tears earlier.

Feeling more disillusioned with people than usual. The only good thing that came of this today was the fact that I chose to not mute my music or lower the volume to eavesdrop to see if they were laughing about me. So I won that reassurance seeking battle.

I have learned that it is a bad idea to disclose your OCD to people because it will just become another weapon of attack and also have learned that workplace welfare is a tick the box exercise which means nothing when it comes to real life practice and I have mainly learned that regular bog standard people are inherently non-empathetic though they can surely put the charm on. Fed up. Feel I have seen the whole of the moon. 

Sorry you feel that way Orwell. 

Try and see it as a sign of lack of real awareness, a lack OCD-UK and others, and a host of individuals like myself, work to correct. 

Your experience is horrible, and the fear of such discourages sufferers from disclosing their OCD. 

But for others they do have a better experience, and so I do wish to point that out. 

My family and close friends knew about my OCD, and I told my work when too punishing a schedule was affecting me. 

They agreed so and that my OCD was sufficient to meet the disability criteria under the UK Equalities Act of 2010.

Reasonable adjustments were made to my work schedule and everyone at work took an interest in helping. 

And I joined the firm's disability and diversity group, and we helped others and interfaced with management. 

There can be another, better, experience and I was fortunate to experience it. 

I am really sorry at what has happened to you, and send you my support and best wishes - but I did want to point out that, thankfully, there can be a better experience for those disclosing their OCD, and I was fortunate enough to have it. 

You're lucky Roy. Can you believe that there is a diversity committee at my work as well and as well as that, all employees on the firm had to attend a mandatory workshop on how to treat others, identify bullying etc? Everything is for show purposes only :(

I was fortunate. And our disability and diversity group had a strong leader, with a firm that cared about disability. 

In the adjoining department was a partially-sighted worker with his assistance dog ? Both were lovely, but the dog had a tendency for pestering when we were eating at our desks - and we weren't allowed to offer him anything - so a collateral difficulty :)

Awareness has a long way to go.

If I confide in someone at work, usually they will say something like:

"Well that's good, means you're really thorough in your work!"

I know it comes from a place of kindness, but it does show how people perceive OCD as a trivial quirk that can be lived with. 

Our charity OCD-UK is working very hard at this issue, and Ashley is frequently taking people and firms to task over this. 

We are not alone as OCD sufferers - those with other mental illnesses also suffer such lack of awareness and consideration :weep:   :(

Edited by taurean
amendment

Orwell, sorry to hear about your situation. It's a reminder that one size fits all isn't the case. For some, explaining their OCD may be a liberation, for others a folly. Wishing you the best. 

The constant OCD comments baffle me.  Although more often than jokes I hear "I am a bit OCD about..." or "I am so OCD because..." and then they say something slightly pernickety.  This happens ALL the time and I just don't know how to challenge it.  I am not shy in challenging other things, for example sexism or racism or homophobia - but this for some reason I find difficult.  I think because usually the person saying such things is not meaning it in a mean-spirited way and it can come across as a bit curmudgeonly to pick them up on it. 

Although actually a few months ago I did a dress-down day at work for OCD UK and I sent round an email about the charity and why it's important.  And after that a guy I worked with aplogised for having used that phrase so much and I never heard him use it again (he's left now.) So people do change, when they realise, bit by bit. 

It may seem that our awareness efforts are a drop in the ocean - but the oceans are vast and any success is, for me , success.

I hope circumstances allow me to be more active locally in OCD awareness week this year.

Sorry to hear you have had that experience Orwell1984. It sounds like people at your work are like a good many in society and think OCD is a minor quirk and not a disorder that can be debilitating and cause immense anxiety and suffering. 

In my work I have heard the odd comment in reference to OCD in a similar vein, if someone feels they are meticulous or like things in a certain way. I think some people just don't realise through lack of understanding about OCD. I think there are also some who may know but just don't care because they themselves are not effected. 

As Roy says it is about education and spreading awareness, hopefully one day the message will get through. Just want to say again sorry to hear you have experienced this, in 2018 we should not have to go through this type of thing.

Avo

5 hours ago, taurean said:

Our charity OCD-UK is working very hard at this issue, and Ashley is frequently taking people and firms to task over this. 

We are not alone as OCD sufferers - those with other mental illnesses also suffer such lack of awareness and consideration :weep:   :(

Well OCD is the 'joke' illness it seems. You don't hear anyone laughing at bipolar or depression. Schizophrenia has also been dealt the short straw as people refer to it in flippant statements but people don't seem to make jokes about it like they do with OCD. 

I'm now actively applying for a new job. The lack of acceptance has been the final straw.

• 4 months later...

Long time since I posted on this topic but I asked for the information held on me by the company and within I found libellous stuff written about me and my OCD. Gossip that was spread about me and my ability at work. I was told to leave the company two days upon receipt of this information. I am now once again unemployed and full of anger and full of vengeful emotions. I have been reading a lot of employment law articles. I have yet to decide what to do in response to my mistreatment. It is especially horrific that the company continues to portray itself as an inclusive employer. Disgusting.

Lesson: do NOT disclose mental illness to your place of employment as it WILL be used against you. Even HR will move against you in line with the bullies.