Re- voluntary work

Hi guys, I could really do with a little help and advice. I would like to eventually get back into work and I’ve been considering a couple of things to be honest, but I think these are a little out of my depth. 

I thought to help me settle back into a working environment I am thinking of doing some voluntary work first, maybe just a couple of days to start. I’ve found a position that I’m really interested in? It’s a Peer support worker for depression, I fit all the criteria that’s needed for the position, including having mental health issues. I think what I’m worried about is, am I up for the job? Or would I be taking on to much after not working for the last 16 yrs? 

To be honest I keep going to apply for it and then I chicken out, there is only one position and at this rate I will miss it any way :( so unsure what to do ? 

If you feel you can cope with it emotionally as well as basically, then maybe. 

But might it not be perhaps better doing something on a more casual basis - helping out in a church cafe, a charity shop, something where if you find you can't cope it would be easier to withdraw?

The two things I mentioned happen to be a couple of things I might be looking at myself maybe later in the year, that's why I mentioned them. 

Edited by taurean

I think it's an excellent idea. When you volunteer there is so much less pressure. They are thankful just to have your help. Don't start at 30 hours per week. A couple of days per week, maybe four hours each. Try it. Get back in the saddle and get used to it.

It will be right to get back into a working environment. 

But it would set you back if the role proved too much, so I do think care is needed. 

And working with depressives may well be emotionally challenging. 

But a little gentle bartering with the public over the counter in a charity shop is different. 

My aunt did one or two days a week for twenty years in the cancer research fund charity shop, and absolutely loved it. 

One close to me generates funds to help the elderly, a subject close to my heart as I am getting on :Old:

Edited by taurean

It's a good idea and a worthy cause, Lost. Start light, don't over commit and exhaust yourself. Be compassionate but also draw a line, your own mental and emotional state comes first. Should you feel too drawn in, to the sufferer's issues, pull yourself back and centre yourself.

That's how I help my friends and my love ones.

Edited by St Mike

I think you should go for this Lost, I think you would be absolutely fantastic at it - you are kind, empathic and determined.  I think it would be perfect and I think it would be a great boost for your confidence to go for something even if you're not totally sure it will work out, or you feel a little out of your depth.  I think you should go for it, and be really kind to yourself along the way.  That's my thinking, anyway  :)

Hi Lost, funny I’m reading this today as I am considering volunteering as well! I’ve done it in the past and was extremely rewarding! I saw a help wanted sign outside a cancer charity shop and I am considering it. Not to put a dampener on what u want to do, I would love to do something like that too but I’m unsure wether or not, being the sensitive type and bit too empathetic at times as to wether or not I would carry other peoples burdens on my shoulders, I would worry a lot about others. However if u feel ur definitely emotionally strong enough and are up for the challenge, go for it! I imagine u would be fab and would get a lot from it! A day a week would be enough to start at and then build it up if u can handle it! I think it’s a great idea.xx

Bless each and everyone of you for your kind reply’s and support it’s much appreciated :)

I can see everyone as a slight difference of opinion and I agree totally. I think this is what as been holding me back from applying for it. I can’t say I wouldn’t be a little worried about getting to emotionally involved, but this is something I wouldn’t definitely know unless I tried it. There are plenty of other opportunities available that would be probably less stressful maybe and not so involved, but I wanted to try something a little more challenging, more involved so to speak. This is something close to my heart and I would like to be able to give something back to other sufferers that has helped me on my journey to where I am today, as challenging as it may seem. It’s sounds great though, you get full training and all the support you need too. There is still a few days left to apply, so maybe I need to think if I would be suitable for the position and if it would be suitable for me :yes:

Thankyou so much for all your support and caring advice, lost :) x

Hi Lost,

bit late to the party on this but I think you should apply. It sounds like a worthy cause and I am sure you would be good at it too. Start gently and don't put too much pressure on yourself :).

1 hour ago, lostinme said:

I wanted to try something a little more challenging, more involved so to speak.

It sounds great Lost :) I think you'd be amazing at it :)

1 hour ago, lostinme said:

maybe I need to think if I would be suitable for the position and if it would be suitable for me :yes:

Obviously it's important to think these things through but make sure you don't overthink it and talk yourself out of it for the wrong reasons... sometimes you just need to hold your breath and dive in the deep end and don't spend to much time thinking about it beforehand :) Obviously it is up to you though to decide :) xx

Volunteering is one of the best ways to re-enter the job market after a period of absence. Apart from anything else, the organisation can provide references. Given the nature of the role, ‘peer support’, you are qualified. A little while ago I volunteered with a mental health charity and I know a number  of people who volunteered in part to get paid employment and it worked for them. They worked in peer support roles and administration roles. 

If you are receiving any benefits such as ESA you need to discuss the hours you can work and the nature of any compensation package you receive - such as expenses with somebody experienced in this. Why not apply and see what happens. You can make the final decision after any offer and you can also after any offer try out the role.

1 hour ago, Angst said:

Why not apply and see what happens. You can make the final decision after any offer and you can also after any offer try out the role.

This is great advice. You can apply and then if you get an interview you'll get more of a feel of whether you think it's for you or not.

Angst advice is good - but I still wear that cautionary hat. 

After a long time not working (by our free choice) my wife after many applications managed to secure a 2-day part time job in a care home some years ago. 

But when she started it it was impossible to do the job in two days, it was massively stressful and to her enormous disappointment Julie had to resign from that dream job to save her health and sanity - since they weren't prepared to change, as the outgoing person had managed the job in two days. 

So I still go against the flow here and suggest starting off with something comfortable but not necessarily preferred. 

What is your real aim after all?  Not really a dream job - that can follow. 

More proving to yourself that you can manage - cope physically and mentally - with going back to work. 

Sorry Roy I have to disagree. If this is Lost's ideal job then she should go for it. She said she will be fully trained up and supported in the role should any problems arise, and she may as well apply for it anyway before making any hard decisions about whether to accept any job offers or not.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that.

1 hour ago, taurean said:

After a long time not working (by our free choice) my wife after many applications managed to secure a 2-day part time job in a care home some years ago. 

But when she started it it was impossible to do the job in two days, it was massively stressful and to her enormous disappointment Julie had to resign from that dream job to save her health and sanity - since they weren't prepared to change, as the outgoing person had managed the job in two days. 

The two situations are not comparable though. A job as a peer mentor for adults with mental health issues is nowhere near as stressful as working in a care home. I've done both jobs before  (a voluntary peer mentor for other students, and a paid job working in a care home), and I would class care home/support work as one of the most stressful jobs there is and I would not go back to that environment even if I was paid a million pounds. I wouldn't discourage Lost from that particular job she wants to apply for based on your wife's unfortunate experience.

Edited by Lynz

Go for it Lostie! :) Don't hesitate, don't give your head the opportunity to (over)analyse. Apply and see what happens. You're perfect for the role. 

I think it's easy to find reasons (excuses) why you shouldn't take on a challenge as self-doubt sets in, but when you first saw the opportunity your heart responded, drawing you to it as something that's right for you. Trust that instinct. In all my life there's never been anything my heart drew me to that I've regretted doing, regardless of whether it worked out as expected or ended prematurely.

If you apply and don't get it at least you'll have recent experience of applying for a job under your belt. If you get it you'll have a boost of confidence and a stepping stone towards taking on more with time.

If you don't apply you'll have nothing and be facing the same self-doubt next time an opportunity comes knocking. 

Live without regret. And good luck with the application! :cheer: 

49 minutes ago, Lynz said:

The two situations are not comparable though. A job as a peer mentor for adults with mental health issues is nowhere near as stressful as working in a care home. I've done both jobs before  (a voluntary peer mentor for other students, and a paid job working in a care home), and I would class care home/support work as one of the most stressful jobs there is and I would not go back to that environment even if I was paid a million pounds. I wouldn't discourage Lost from that particular job she wants to apply for based on your wife's unfortunate experience.

Just like to point out the job was not of a 'care' nature, more of a liaison with family members and holding and keeping records of small cash floats held in respect of the residents. 

I think it's important here that in view of that experience - which totally put my wife off ever applying for work again - and the fact that lost still does have a fragile mentality - as we many of us do - that the good intent is weighed against the possible risks (well as a retired insurance broker and risk management advisor what else would you expect from me? :)

Lost is a very very good friend, and - yes - I am being protective. 

I just love this place :yes: all the caring responses and support is so overwhelming :) Thank you everyone for all your responses :) 

Im glad you mentioned this Angst, it’s something I’d never even considered that it could affect my benefits, so this is something I do need to look into also :yes:

Roy I totally agree with what you are saying and thank you, obviously I had my doubts and that’s why I started this thread, but I won’t know fully what the job entails until I apply. 

On one hand I’m looking at what my mum use to say, if you want something go for it, don’t let it be a missed opportunity that could bring you happiness that slipped you by, dont leave it to late and live a life of regrets of never knowing, grasp it with both hands. If it don’t work out at least you will know :yes: So this sticks in my mind, I havnt spoke to her because I know she would say just do it, follow your heart :lol:

The other hand I’ve got my doubts, but I think these are just normal doubts after so long of not working and especially after so long :yes:

My heart says just go for it, I’ve got nothing to lose :yes:

13 minutes ago, taurean said:

Just like to point out the job was not of a 'care' nature, more of a liaison with family members and holding and keeping records of small cash floats held in respect of the residents. 

I think it's important here that in view of that experience - which totally put my wife off ever applying for work again - and the fact that lost still does have a fragile mentality - as we many of us do - that the good intent is weighed against the possible risks (well as a retired insurance broker and risk management advisor what else would you expect from me? :)

Lost is a very very good friend, and - yes - I am being protective. 

Bless you Roy, Thankyou for being so caring and kind :) 

I’m really grateful for all the reply’s, the negative ones as well as the positive ones. It’s no use me looking at it through rose coloured glasses that is for sure, because there could be downfalls? That is something I will never know until I try. I have spoke about this to my daughter and partner and discussed all the pros and cons. But if I apply first, I can ask all the questions I need answering regarding my roles and if it’s not the job for me, then no harm done :) 

Thank you all so much, for all your help and advice :) it really is much appreciated :yes:

I followed my heart and Ive applied for the position, so all I can do now is wait on a reply :) I will keep you all up to date on how things are progressing :yes: fingers crossed all goes well :) x