What have you done today to challenge your OCD?

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Walked today again, after 3 days of walking do i have blisters so tomorrow do i need to take up the cycling. My citybike, i am seeing people riding and i can't let this advance into what i did this winter, i avoided cycling for 3 months. I will never improve if i take breakes all the time, and i always curse myself when i get over the ocd. Now i still don't think this really is OCD, i think it could be attempt of murder but yeah whatever.. 

Will try to not ruminate the rest of the day. I watched Polarbears videos on Youtube yesterday, shame he stopped.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest OCDhavenobrain
4 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Shame he stopped what?

Making videos on Youtube. I also read some from the books. I feel like i should buy one. I think it is pretty great that people are giving away advices for free on the forums. Everybody that helps suffers are doing something good but doing it for free is a little extra i think.

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

I challenged my ocd yesterday and today by refusing to perform safety behaviours.

I managed not to check for the whole day but I have got a feeling of muscle tension from the anxiety.

1 minute ago, zx123 said:

I challenged my ocd yesterday and today by refusing to perform safety behaviours.

I managed not to check for the whole day but I have got a feeling of muscle tension from the anxiety.

Sure that is just the anxiety. But we have to do this to face out the OCD and it will get better as you say boo to the OCD goose and start to turn the tide. 

Very well done zx :clap:

2 minutes ago, taurean said:

Sure that is just the anxiety. But we have to do this to face out the OCD and it will get better as you say boo to the OCD goose and start to turn the tide. 

Very well done zx :clap:

Thanks

13 hours ago, zx123 said:

this is fantastic, well done :) xx

The muscle tension is horrid, I get it too.

Yesterday was a bit of a setback.  Had too much caffeine and went for a run and was really jittery and anxious as a result, then BOOM out of nowhere had this giant tsunami of OCD - basically begged my partner for reassurance who eventually gave in, felt better for five seconds then increasingly bad for the rest of the day, ruminated like crazy, just felt awful.

But today is a new day and have woken up in a more positive frame of mind again.  Cut back on the ruminating again, and planned a few exposures.  Not gonna be beaten!! raa! :taz:

An interesting experience just now. 

Am at the hospital for a blood test. 

Chatting to nurse, then she said "there's nothing coming out"  have you drunk enough fluid this morning. 

In the past I might have panicked, started awfulising. But one of the things the doctor senses may be contributing to my issue is dehydration. I get told I don’t drink enough water. 

Anyway, I said maybe, and quipped "there must be blood in there, I am still alive"  and we had a laugh. 

She tried my other (left)  arm, and bingo - result :)

Didn't panic, didn't awfulise - made a joke from a risk. It's never happened before, and I used to be a blood donor. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain

The advice from me would be to have zero-acceptance for reassuranceseeking from the close ones. But yeaaa.. But it would be that. 

Hope you can do something else today so it don't grows on you today.

My OH is generally very very good at refusing to give reassurance.  But our partners are human, just like us, and it can be hard to refuse someone you love when they are begging you.  Not everything is cut and dried. 

Edited by gingerbreadgirl
Guest OCDhavenobrain

I know. I regret having bringing up my icky OCD so many times, i have also destroyed relationships thanks to it in some mix of avoidance and reassuranceseeking. It is what it is. 

Hope you can occupy your mind with something today

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I feel strange. It is not like i am panicking over this but i feel like sad. Or lile i should be sad. The logic is that if i was victim of a bad thing do i need to act. But i am actually not analyzing the situation that much.

Was out walking. I dont enjoy it anymore. 300 kcal and it is painful to my feets. I feel like i am afraid of start cycling again. What if a psychopath drive me over. So i need to take it up again.

9 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

Yesterday was a bit of a setback.  Had too much caffeine and went for a run and was really jittery and anxious as a result,

You know, caffeine has the same effect on me, at much lower levels, i.e - one cup will drive up my heart rate. I am probably one of those low tolerance to caffeine kind of people which is why I hardly drink coffee at all. I only drink tea and no-alcohol malt beverages. Plainwater is still of course the safest bet, I guess. :)

9 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

Yesterday was a bit of a setback.  Had too much caffeine and went for a run and was really jittery and anxious as a result, then BOOM out of nowhere had this giant tsunami of OCD - basically begged my partner for reassurance who eventually gave in, felt better for five seconds then increasingly bad for the rest of the day, ruminated like crazy, just felt awful.

But today is a new day and have woken up in a more positive frame of mind again.  Cut back on the ruminating again, and planned a few exposures.  Not gonna be beaten!! raa! :taz:

That’s the spirit gbg :cheer:so glad to hear today as been a better one for you x

9 hours ago, taurean said:

An interesting experience just now. 

Am at the hospital for a blood test. 

Chatting to nurse, then she said "there's nothing coming out"  have you drunk enough fluid this morning. 

In the past I might have panicked, started awfulising. But one of the things the doctor senses may be contributing to my issue is dehydration. I get told I don’t drink enough water. 

Anyway, I said maybe, and quipped "there must be blood in there, I am still alive"  and we had a laugh. 

She tried my other (left)  arm, and bingo - result :)

Didn't panic, didn't awfulise - made a joke from a risk. It's never happened before, and I used to be a blood donor. 

Well done Roy, that’s great, there’s no stopping you :cheer:

23 hours ago, zx123 said:

That’s great zx, your doing great :cheer:

3 hours ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

I feel strange. It is not like i am panicking over this but i feel like sad. Or lile i should be sad. The logic is that if i was victim of a bad thing do i need to act. But i am actually not analyzing the situation that much.

Was out walking. I dont enjoy it anymore. 300 kcal and it is painful to my feets. I feel like i am afraid of start cycling again. What if a psychopath drive me over. So i need to take it up again.

That’s right OCDhnb, we slowly have to face our worst fears, but gently and small steps at a time preferably under the guidance of a CBT therapist :yes:

23 minutes ago, St Mike said:

You know, caffeine has the same effect on me, at much lower levels, i.e - one cup will drive up my heart rate. I am probably one of those low tolerance to caffeine kind of people which is why I hardly drink coffee at all. I only drink tea and no-alcohol malt beverages. Plainwater is still of course the safest bet, I guess. :)

This sounds like a very sensible plan St Mike!

I have a love-hate relationship with coffee.  I have tried giving it up numerous times but I really miss something I do genuinely enjoy.  I think for me it is about getting the amount right and not having too much.

15 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

This sounds like a very sensible plan St Mike!

I have a love-hate relationship with coffee.  I have tried giving it up numerous times but I really miss something I do genuinely enjoy.  I think for me it is about getting the amount right and not having too much.

I gave up drinking coffee a long time ago gbg, it’s very rare I have one nowadays, I usually drink tea and I feel so much better for it :yes: trying to get the balance right is a good thing to do :yes:

1 minute ago, lostinme said:

I gave up drinking coffee a long time ago gbg, it’s very rare I have one nowadays, I usually drink tea and I feel so much better for it :yes: trying to get the balance right is a good thing to do :yes:

good for you lostie I think it is definitely a good idea for anxiety-sufferers to kick caffeine to the kerb :)

I have got rid of a lot of my old vices but coffee still remains.... I just can't imagine not having that lovely taste first thing in the morning! I tried to convince myself decaf is just as good but it just ain't so :D

Done my new homework this week, one full 24 hour kettle and two half days, feeling really pleased with myself because this is one I’ve struggled with for so long. Here’s hoping I can get through it this time :cheer:I don’t like cheering myself on, I just like the fluffy pink outfit :D