What have you done today to challenge your OCD?

Just now, lostinme said:

Done my new homework this week, one full 24 hour kettle and two half days, feeling really pleased with myself because this is one I’ve struggled with for so long. Here’s hoping I can get through it this time :cheer:I don’t like cheering myself on, I just like the fluffy pink outfit :D

you should cheer yourself on!!! You have done amazingly and you deserve it!! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After college I worked in Germany for 4 months for a coffee roasting firm. 

Had to be careful though because too much coffee overstimulates, and it was freely available for the staff to drink. 

I need a coffee to get me going, then that's it - onto water and squash :)

1 minute ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

good for you lostie I think it is definitely a good idea for anxiety-sufferers to kick caffeine to the kerb :)

I have got rid of a lot of my old vices but coffee still remains.... I just can't imagine not having that lovely taste first thing in the morning! I tried to convince myself decaf is just as good but it just ain't so :D

Bless you, I know it just doesn’t taste the same :no: I didn’t have much choice really, every time I drank it it was like a train was running through my veins in a jittery motion and it wasn’t pleasant:(

4 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

you should cheer yourself on!!! You have done amazingly and you deserve it!! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

You just have to love these cheerleading emojis :cheer:pink fluffy outfits and doing mom dancing just like me :cheer::lol:

1 minute ago, taurean said:

A girl that came round to view our house  when on the market was wearing a fluffy pink jumpsuit - it's the in thing lost, you would look great in one :)

:lol: but how do you know :D

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I tried to cycle yesterday 5minutes i don't know if i am anxious or not but i feelt like i feelt unstable. Also i wake up many times at night, before it was many times now it is one time, exactly the same time every night 2 hours after i have gone asleep, so this i have had for weeks now. I feel lightheaded, before i even got full panicattacks, coulde be concussion who knows. 

I am going to ride my bike to the gym today and train. I don't care about being damaged for life. Btw it haven't rained here for over a month now, could even be more. Pretty crazy. Last summer was horrendous, it was like a long fall, i honestly don't think it was this good even one day. And i know because i was out pretty much every day. 

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

It's all about not believing, not connecting, challenging, making thinking and behavioural changes. 

But watch out for other types of negative  automatic thinking distortions too - when they occur alongside OCD they can really bite us. 

Learn to spot, and challenge, these too. Black and white thinking, personalisation, overgeneralisation catastrophising, minimising the positive are typical ones.

Edited by taurean
16 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

This sounds like a very sensible plan St Mike!

I have a love-hate relationship with coffee.  I have tried giving it up numerous times but I really miss something I do genuinely enjoy.  I think for me it is about getting the amount right and not having too much.

True, True. Do also note that coffee is a diuretic, you may want to give it a miss for at least 2 hours before your run, GBG.

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Today at the gym when i came out there was this one guy who had got his bike taken. So i rode around and looked for it. And i see those three persons who looks like drugusers. But they were two so i didnt even ask them anything.went back and told him. I didnt call the police. Is this like enough of me. I mean i hate bikethieves and they could have taken mine only reason they didnt was because i had two locks

OCDhavenobrain might you be experiencing an obsessive sense of responsibility, then agonising over that in rumination, and seeking reassurance? 

How might you go about tackling that? How might you review this scenario in a practical non-obsessive way? 

Edited by taurean
Guest OCDhavenobrain
26 minutes ago, taurean said:

OCDhavenobrain might you be experiencing an obsessive sense of responsibility, then agonising over that in rumination, and seeking reassurance? 

How might you go about tackling that? How might you review this scenario in a practical non-obsessive way? 

It's more like i get sad  that peoplr so that kind of thing. And if i could confront them becUse the looked just like drugusers. But i mean do you not run away if u do something like that?

Soo well yes i feel resposibility in some way. Well i did more than the most of the persons who jjst walked past. I am obviously not a psychopath, if not in some strange way OCD makes mr have a false morality. James fallon had OCD. 

But yea i was training today and have beenn ruminating  less tham last week

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

Surely you were right not to tackle the thieves alone, and report back to the other bike owner. 

No doubt he would report it to the police. 

That's it. You were kind and considerate. No need for further consideration, further debate. 

You can change the way you focus on things, compulsively react to things in this way. 

See how overthinking, feeling responsible, feelings that you did bad, aren't worthy, then you carry out consequent compulsions create, then perpetuate, an OCD problem. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Thanks, yes i think my mind is hyperactive at the moment. I just saw that i had brown marks on my hand, so i thought it is blood, if it was them maybe the put blood on my handlebar and if they are drugusers the risk of HIV is big. So i went out to my bike and i see some red in the rubber, not like a substance. But yee i think my OCD is searching for something to latch onto. 

I will do things the rest of the day. Hope you all are doing fine, i feel better than the past week, this week was really bad. I find it hard to deal with real events without panicking out of control. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Did my best today not to ruminate and i didn't. Going outside is really helpful. I had to send the email and i got anxious, i want to take a benzo but i shouldn't. I feel some stiffness in my neck and it makes me worry. Appointment in 2 days, it will either give relie of anxiety. 
I am trying and i guess i need to watch some movies rest of the day, but it is hard. 

On 10/06/2018 at 18:58, OCDhavenobrain said:

Did my best today not to ruminate and i didn't. Going outside is really helpful. I had to send the email and i got anxious, i want to take a benzo but i shouldn't. I feel some stiffness in my neck and it makes me worry. Appointment in 2 days, it will either give relie of anxiety. 
I am trying and i guess i need to watch some movies rest of the day, but it is hard. 

good job OCDHaveNo :) Hope you are still keeping up the trying not to ruminate :) 

Well I have done some good stuff and bad stuff the last few days.  I have been trying to live my life more in a way that is not "all things OCD" - so I have been staying away from the forum a bit more and trying to engage with stuff as if I didn't have OCD.  I know this is in many ways distraction.  But I think it also sends my brain the message that it is OK to think about other things.  I think it is possible to become almost obsessed with not being obsessed :) So I've been throwing myself more into hobbies to keep my brain ticking over.  Work has also been busy which helps in some ways.  

I have however given into ruminating a few times which always makes things worse, I don't know why I can't get that through my head! For some reason even though rationally I know these thoughts are OCD, and ruminating always makes them worse, I can't help getting caught up in them when that surge of anxiety hits.  Every time I think "this is different, this is real, I need to sort this out." Sometimes I resist the urge but sometimes I cave.  This is what I need to make my priority. 

I am also a bit nervous about a holiday I have coming up next month.  Last time I went on holiday was when OCD hit really hard, it totally ruined the holiday and the next few months of my life and I am worried that my brain will make connections between this holiday and the last! We are planning to keep super busy this time though, and I'm going to stay away from alcohol which I am sure made things a lot worse last time.  So hopefully we will make some good memories this time which will replace the more negative memories of the last holiday.

Guest OCDhavenobrain
1 hour ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

good job OCDHaveNo :) Hope you are still keeping up the trying not to ruminate :) 

I looked at your profile yesterday and it said last login 1 september 2017 so i wondered if something had happened. It is good that you take a break from the forum if it makes your OCD active. Try to do your work before the holiday and maybe it will be a less anxious experience than last time. 

I wish i could say i have done good but i haven't it is like you said, it always seems to be that we think we need to figure it out. I have been ruminating like crazy for almost 2 weeks now. I am going to talk with a therapist for free for 1hour today, let's see if it can be productive. Not sure if it is all reassuranceseeking from me.. but well

Just to give everyone some moral support. 

I find by my personal experience that, when we do master not responding to or connecting with our obsessional thoughts and intrusions, and reduce,then eliminate, compulsions, we do so very much better. 

I remember reporting on the forum that I felt intrusions were all around me. 

They still are - but I no longer notice them, or respond to them. 

It takes time and commitment to change those unhelpful thoughts and behaviours. I wish I had learned how to years ago. 

So people it can be done - but only we can do it. 

1 hour ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

I looked at your profile yesterday and it said last login 1 september 2017 so i wondered if something had happened.

I log in anonymously so it doesn't say when I visit :)

1 hour ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

Not sure if it is all reassuranceseeking from me.. but well

Of course it never seems like reassurance seeking when you're in the middle of it.  It feels deadly real.  But it is all OCD.  You need to find a way to pull your attention away from ruminating and onto other things, things which take up all your attention. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain
Just now, gingerbreadgirl said:

I log in anonymously so it doesn't say when I visit :)

Of course it never seems like reassurance seeking when you're in the middle of it.  It feels deadly real.  But it is all OCD.  You need to find a way to pull your attention away from ruminating and onto other things, things which take up all your attention. 

I will see if it makes good or bad, i will see my therapist in the end of the month, if he is as bad as the psychiatrist i don't know what i should do. Well i will talk to this psychologist, and see what it give me. 

I am so stuck right now, and i am sad to say that i have a hard time to see it as OCD, when i first started my thread maybe i could but now i can't. My thoughts goes somehting like physical damages - real thing. Even the possibility of intent or even if unintentional but if concussion - very serious. I have no idea how one should judge this. It is like it goes to 100% danger - big threat. 

I am going to the library, and there i will talk to her. 

I walk up every morning now at the same time and it makes me think that i have to have concussion, i wake up and i feel dizzy. Now, i did wake up with full blown panicattacks before, it actually started a couple of months ago. But i mean every night att the same time, it seems strange to me really. And now i feel pressure in my head. And i read that people with concussion have decreased fluency when it comes to language, i usually have a pretty big vocabulary but i feel like it have been diminished. Well all this was rumination i guess. god damn. 

Take care everybody.