Does anyone have experience with PIP for ocd sufferers?

Hi. Ive been told by a family friend I should consider applying for PIP as my ocd has affected me so bad for so long and money is really tight due to private therapy and no sick pay when off work. The truth is I don’t know where to start it hadn’t even occurred to me. I have never claimed for anything in my life. If I was successful it would maybe allow me to get a cleaner as I really struggle so much with this because of my ocd. Little things I’ve just learnt to live with a house which is getting worse and worse month by month because I can’t cope. I don’t want people to think I’m scrounging off the government I have worked my whole life apart from times when I’ve had to go off sick like now because of ocd. 

If you go to the Citizens’ Advice Bureau website you will see a support section for ESA as well as PIP.( ESA is the major benefit for those who are out of work due to illness.) The PIP criteria are detailed on their web site. You do not get payment on your illness or disability as such but on the functional impairment caused by the illness in certain areas such as preparing a meal, dressing. washing......

I have had some benefits paid in the past and received help from a welfare officer employed by the CMHT (Community Mental Health Team) as I was under them for a time. She helped me fill in the forms and got people to write supporting documents. I say this because it is much better to get somebody experienced to help you fill in the forms and help with getting supporting medical evidence. If there are advice agencies or a Citizens’ Advice Agency in your area I would arrange an appointment.

Another reason getting advice is that it seems that all or part of ESA is being incorporated into Universal Credit which is being rolled out across the country. This is another reason for getting support the system can be quite confusing for the uninitiated.

Edited by Angst

Hi RunningLover,

Yes I have claimed PIP for very severe OCD. I have difficulty with all of the activities that PIP covers (showering, preparing food, using loos [contamination OCD] etc.). 

If you do decide to go ahead with a claim, which sounds like a really good idea then:

1. Buy a subscription to 'benefits and work . co .uk' because they have an in-depth guide on claiming PIP for mental health problems. It is incredibly helpful and they also point out where PIP assessors try to trick or twist what a claimant is saying in order to reject a claim. You do qualify for PIP but sometimes it's a case of fighting for it.

2. Send as much evidence as possible along with your PIP forms. This can be hospital letters, psychiatrist/psychologist reports, GP/ CBT therapist/social worker letters. Although unlikely there is a chance that if you provide substantial evidence they will not call you for an assessment particularly if you have very severe OCD.

3. Keep spare copies of everything that you send and send your PIP claim form by guaranteed/tracked/registered/signed-for delivery. 

Also if you are going to be unfit for work for a period of time then it's worth considering claiming 'ESA' too.

Edited by BelAnna