What have you gained from working to overcome OCD?

Hi everyone,

Thought I’d start a positive post about the unexpected positive consequences you may have gained from turning your back on Ocd. 

I’ll start with a couple.

One of my main issues is contamination, I had many no go areas in my house that it felt almost claustrophobic. Lots of rules of where you could touch or go. How miserable for everyone. But since starting cbt and listening to my therapist and putting what she tells me into practise my house has become so much “bigger”. I’m in a place where almost every area is a free for all (there’s still work to be done) and without extending my house or moving out quality of life has improved.

I used to throw so much “contaminated” stuff away and spend so much money on disposable gloves. Now I Dilute my own disinfectant (a person with a fear of germs but also a fear of chemicals, you couldn’t make it up) and re use rubber gloves. Don’t use anywhere near as much hand wash anymore and stopped sticking to the same brands and instead chop and change to keep things uncertain. So I’ve saved money, quite a bit to be honest. And my house is cleaner (not from a germ perspective).  

Lastly (I won’t bore you all with anymore), my closest friend had a baby a few years back, I pretty much went off the radar. Wouldn’t hold the little one when it was born. But now we do drawing together and play dolls together and I’m one of her favourite people. I’m also starting work in a primary school soon and I could never have done that without the right cbt and listening to my therapist. I owe her so so much if I’m honest.

would love to hear what others have gained /the positives from challenging the Ocd :) 

Storm x

9 hours ago, Storm said:

Hi everyone,

Thought I’d start a positive post about the unexpected positive consequences you may have gained from turning your back on Ocd. 

I’ll start with a couple.

One of my main issues is contamination, I had many no go areas in my house that it felt almost claustrophobic. Lots of rules of where you could touch or go. How miserable for everyone. But since starting cbt and listening to my therapist and putting what she tells me into practise my house has become so much “bigger”. I’m in a place where almost every area is a free for all (there’s still work to be done) and without extending my house or moving out quality of life has improved.

I used to throw so much “contaminated” stuff away and spend so much money on disposable gloves. Now I Dilute my own disinfectant (a person with a fear of germs but also a fear of chemicals, you couldn’t make it up) and re use rubber gloves. Don’t use anywhere near as much hand wash anymore and stopped sticking to the same brands and instead chop and change to keep things uncertain. So I’ve saved money, quite a bit to be honest. And my house is cleaner (not from a germ perspective).  

Lastly (I won’t bore you all with anymore), my closest friend had a baby a few years back, I pretty much went off the radar. Wouldn’t hold the little one when it was born. But now we do drawing together and play dolls together and I’m one of her favourite people. I’m also starting work in a primary school soon and I could never have done that without the right cbt and listening to my therapist. I owe her so so much if I’m honest.

would love to hear what others have gained /the positives from challenging the Ocd :) 

Storm x

That’s brilliant Storm :) you should be really pleased in all your achievements :) be proud, very proud, you’ve done great :cheer:

I had real problems with the news, and films, because of harm OCD.

Now I can watch the news, listen to the news, read the news - and I am a subscriber to Sky Cinema :thumbup:

.CBT from OCD-savvy clinical psychologists, enlightenment from CBT-based self-help books ,and  the  help of OCD-UK and its members here have helped me to do this. 

1 minute ago, taurean said:

I had real problems with the news, and films, because of harm OCD.

Now I can watch the news, listen to the news, read the news - and I am a subscriber to Sky Cinema :thumbup:

.CBT from OCD-savvy clinical psychologists, enlightenment from CBT-based self-help books ,and  the  help of OCD-UK and its members here have helped me to do this. 

Well done Roy :) your doing great, keep going you’ve got this :cheer:

Since starting CBT so many things have changed for me for the better, the list is endless :yes:

I can now shower in ten mins, without any rituals, counting or anyone sat at the door.

I can go out alone, catch a bus or train etc.

I can take my dog out on my own, still work in progress. 

I no longer ruminate about things, so free mind to watch tv or hobbies. 

No more magical thinking, no lining up, no counting a certain number of times, no folding things just right or something bad will happen etc. 

Can now bleach things, bathroom etc.

Cleaning products out and about, not under lock and key.

Making myself, tea, sandwich, food when needed, still work in progress. 

Not needing someone with me 24/7. 

Only check switches, cooker etc once before leaving the house, where it could take anything from thirty mins to an hour or more and then not even being able too. Still working on this last check. 

Sorting my hoarding issues, two rooms done and two sheds sorted. Still work in progress.

Occassional cooking, work in progress. 

Hand washing once and no more counting.

Only doing the washing loads once except for tea towels, still work in progress. 

Brushing my teeth with only three rinses. 

I just thought I’d write a quick basic list of what as changed for me so far since I started CBT Storm, the list is endless. I really can’t believe how far I’ve come, this as totally amazed me and to say each one had lots of rituals and compulsions to work through before getting to this point. I’m absolutely flabbergasted ? 

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I am not recovered but i "maxed out" this winter, i was afraid to go out, because i saw threats and it made me feel all kind of feelings. One of the feelings was anger because i couldn't exercise or do things i loved. The thing was that i could and i had no reason to feel anger because i couldn't go out. I should have been angry at the OCD. 

And when i become depressed because of your whole situation do i get lazy with everything, i don't care anymore. I don't use memberships and i eat food which i normally wouldn't. And it is not like it is just a step in the other direction, it is the total opposite when i am doing good. I try to be economic and eat healthy and exercise. 

This thread shows just how much OCD takes away from us :(

But it also shows that with the right guidance, dedication and determination that can be reversed. 

And, sometimes, we can end up with additional benefit - because in CBT we can identify other damaging behaviours and thinking distortions, and tackle those too.

One woman said her CBT also helped her tackle her shyness and lack of self-worth :):thumbup:

I have gained knowledge of how to practice meditation and mindfulness, relax properly, breathe properly and deeply, refocus away to beneficial distraction when things bug me. 

I have also learned not to worry about things I cannot control, to let the past be and not worry about the future. 

All extremely useful skills to have acquired.