Modern Treatment Techniques Do Really Work!

Do you remember how Galileo Galilei caused a storm by declaring that, rather than the sun orbiting the earth, the earth - and the other planets - actually orbit the sun? 

The poor man was considered to be a heretic. 

And what about the earth being flat? Amazingly there are still those who think that it is. 

As time goes on we learn more about things. 

It's the same with mental health. 

My firm's office at Liverpool Street in the City of London lay close by the site of the Bethlehem mental hospital (Bedlam). 

And near to where I now live in Northampton was also an asylum. There is now a modern mental hospital there using modern techniques in treatment. 

Before Aaron Beck introduced cognitive therapy to the world in the latter part of the twentieth century, there simply wasn't the knowledge about mental health issues and how to treat them. 

Now all sorts of anxiety disorders, including OCD and various thinking distortions, are treatable by the latest versions of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT).

I have had lots of CBT and I know just how good it is in treating OCD. 

I also have found that adding to it relaxation techniques meditation and mindfulness can be very beneficial. 

There isn't anything difficult to grasp about CBT. It's not a difficult concept. 

But what can be difficult is believing what we are told in therapy, over what OCD seeks to convince us. 

We are, in fact, fortunate to live in modern times, with modern understanding of OCD and how to treat it. Back in the days of Bedlam some of us would have been considered mad and thrown into the asylum. 

So we have this wonderful psychological science available, and we know how successful it can be - so we all would I believe do well by applying for CBT. 

Is it a scary process?  Is it difficult to open up about our innermost thoughts? 

We need to remember client confidentiality, and that the experienced clinical psychologists are well trained in making people feel comfortable. And they are there to help not judge - and have heard it all before. 

CBT is the gamechanger. Seek it out, and see how you can get yourself to a much better state. 

Yes, there is really a huge progress regarding knowledge and treatment in the UK telling from what I read here in the forum. Unfortunately it's not the same here. Maybe we'll get there somewhere in the future but this will be too late for me. I've had my problems for 30 years without anyone ever coming up with a diagnose. And it's really severe. The checking is so out of control that I can't hide it anymore. I'm very happy that I found this forum but I fully agree with you CBT would be absolutely necessary and maybe the gamechanger.