Anxiety and intrusive thoughts

I'm 14 and have anxiety lately I'm having awful intrusive thoughts about my family and they are starting to scare me (my family are very supportive and understanding )however I can't get these thoughts out of my head and I'm feeling very frightened

Has anyone else felt like this and if so how do you control the thoughts I just want them to go away

58 minutes ago, Sophie Stevens said:

I'm 14 and have anxiety lately I'm having awful intrusive thoughts about my family and they are starting to scare me (my family are very supportive and understanding )however I can't get these thoughts out of my head and I'm feeling very frightened

Has anyone else felt like this and if so how do you control the thoughts I just want them to go away

Hi Sophie, 

Im so sorry to hear you are struggling so much at the moment. It’s not nice being anxious and having intrusive thoughts, so it can feel really scary, especially at a young age. How ever it’s good you can recognise them as intrusive thoughts, because that’s all they are intrusive thoughts and nothing more. Sadly we cannot control intrusive thoughts, everyone as them, but it’s how we react to them that becomes the problem. The more importance you place on them the stronger they become. Every time you get an intrusive thought, just think oh it’s that silly thought again and refocus your attention onto something else, do this each and every time. It’s not easy at first and it takes lots of practice, but by doing this your not placing any importance on the thoughts and this weakens them.

Are you having any therapy at the moment? Have you been referred for CBT? 

Hi Sophie, it’s great you’ve took the first step in seeking help through your doctor and you are now awaiting a referral to Cahms. Hopefully after your first initial assessment they will refer you for CBT, which is the best treatment for OCD. It’s great also that you’ve got a supporting and understanding family that will be able to support you until treatment is sorted.

Trying to avoid having the thoughts themselves as an adverse effect and actually makes them more noticeable. When you have an intrusive thought try to acknowledge it as an intrusive thought and then don’t buy into it, leave it be and get busy, focus your mind onto something else. Every time the thought crops up, do it again and again, don’t give the thought any attention at all. It will take lots of practice, you will have setbacks, but keep doing it. Remember it’s just a thought ? 

Whilst your waiting for your referral you could possibly purchase a book to read, break free from OCD is highly recommended :) I’m not sure if there is any other books that’s aimed for the younger generation, but hopefully someone else might be able to name some for you. 

Try to stay strong, things can and do get better :) 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi

Well done for making the first step. Well done. Good effort. 

CBT is great. 

In the mean time the waiting can be annoying as you need help now! 

I felt just the same.

have you done any mindfulness? I found this helps a great deal. Talking to parents also a great thing to do.  Also doing things which engage you, fun stuff! 

Take care. It will get better. 

Whilst your waiting for your referral you could possibly purchase a book to read, break free from OCD is highly recommended  I’m not sure if there is any other books that’s aimed for the younger generation, but hopefully someone else might be able to name some for you. 

This is an excellent book. I have read it and re read it. Amazing tool to help you. Lostinme this is a good suggestion and agree with you 100%.

Edited by Dawnie
  • 4 months later...

Stress can make them stronger, try to get a lot of sleep, & rest. These thoughts come fro  the subconscious & can surface if your brain is tired, so try to get as much rest as possible, exercise & don't drink soda or coffee that has caffeine.