Who wants to change?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, lostinme said:

Hi flower, I think that sharing positivity and praising each other for each achievement we make no matter how big or small helps our progress, we gain confidence and pride and by sharing it it boosts our morale too :) I like cheering people on, because I believe it really does help and I like the little pink outfit too:D

Hi lovely lady, I couldn't agree more and I can't thank you enough for doing it. It's helps so much. 

8 minutes ago, lostinme said:

Im afraid I’ve had a rough couple of days sadly, not brought on by my OCD but more of an external event that made my OCD spiral out of control, but I’ve still battled on regardless I won’t be defeated ? so easily. Hopefully over the next couple of days I will be back to where I left off :yes:

In some ways it good that external events occur too when doing therapy because we learn how to cope in these times too, the same as if we never made mistakes during therapy we wouldn’t know how to deal with these things, if and when they did occur. So all a working progress even though a little unpleasant at times. 

Hope you are doing ok x

I'm so sorry you've had a rough couple of days. I know exactly what you mean because external events cause my OCD to spiral out of control too. You will be back to where you left off very soon. 

Again, I love the positive spin that you put on it all. You are so right, because you can learn how to cope in these difficult times too. You're awesome Lost and I take my hat off to you. 

Thank you for being so inspiring. All my best wishes to you Lost. X

13 minutes ago, lostinme said:

That’s great news Emsie :) keep going you’ve got this :cheer:remember to only ever look back to see how far you’ve come :yes: x

Aww, bless you lovely lady! Love that about only ever look back to see how far you've come. Thank you for everything. It really helps to be cheered on. X

1 minute ago, Emsie said:

Hi lovely lady, I couldn't agree more and I can't thank you enough for doing it. It's helps so much. 

I'm so sorry you've had a rough couple of days. I know exactly what you mean because external events cause my OCD to spiral out of control too. You will be back to where you left off very soon. 

Again, I love the positive spin that you put on it all. You are so right, because you can learn how to cope in these difficult times too. You're awesome Lost and I take my hat off to you. 

Thank you for being so inspiring. All my best wishes to you Lost. X

Bless you Emsie, your such a lovely lady and I wish you the very best on your journey to recovery :) take each day has it comes, good day and bad days a like, celebrate  ? both, remember if every day was a good day you wouldn’t ever learn what to do on a bad day, so both are just as important as each other. Don’t look to far forward for the finishing line and how long it will take to get you there, just take it one day at a time and soon you will slowly begin to see your progress and this will be your motivation to keep going :)

On 20/06/2018 at 16:15, taurean said:

It's a horrible theme njb but nevertheless it is OCD. 

The thoughts are intrusions following the OCD core belief, which is attacking your real true values. 

Ignoring the thoughts, not connecting with them, is the way forward. Don't be embarrassed by them, they don't reflect your true core values. 

You have been suffering a long time with this, but following the CBT for OCD path will help you - with our support - to break free. It can be done, we can retrain our brains not to react to the thoughts then they ease off in due course in power and frequency. 

Thanks taurean. All the best.

1 minute ago, lostinme said:

Bless you Emsie, your such a lovely lady and I wish you the very best on your journey to recovery :) take each day has it comes, good day and bad days a like, celebrate  ? both, remember if every day was a good day you wouldn’t ever learn what to do on a bad day, so both are just as important as each other. Don’t look to far forward for the finishing line and how long it will take to get you there, just take it one day at a time and soon you will slowly begin to see your progress and this will be your motivation to keep going :)

Bless you too Lost, you are such a lovely lady too! 

Thank you so much for all you lovely words and best wishes. Such great advice here too on the next steps. Just what I need to hear, just perfect! Thank you so much. 

I wish you the very best on your remaining journey (as I know you have come so very far) to recovery too. As I've said before, you are a warrior and an inspiration to us all. 

Rest well tonight and have a good day tomorrow. X

51 minutes ago, Emsie said:

Bless you too Lost, you are such a lovely lady too! 

Thank you so much for all you lovely words and best wishes. Such great advice here too on the next steps. Just what I need to hear, just perfect! Thank you so much. 

I wish you the very best on your remaining journey (as I know you have come so very far) to recovery too. As I've said before, you are a warrior and an inspiration to us all. 

Rest well tonight and have a good day tomorrow. X

Thank you Emsie! 

Sleep well and all the best for a great day tomorrow x

Thank you Emsie and you too:)

Even though something as knocked me back I’m still trying to be positive again and still attempting my homework set for the next few weeks, not done them all yet :( but I won’t be defeated that easily :) I’m hoping to return to my normal self over the next few days and not beating myself up to much for falling backwards :)

Hope it’s a good day for you and you continue your positivity x

Thank you, Lost.

That’s so great you’re being positive and you’re doing your homework, you are so strong and you’ve got this Lost. Absolutely, no beating yourself up. I hope you return to your normal self really soon.

Sending you loads of positivity. X

26 minutes ago, Emsie said:

Thank you, Lost.

That’s so great you’re being positive and you’re doing your homework, you are so strong and you’ve got this Lost. Absolutely, no beating yourself up. I hope you return to your normal self really soon.

Sending you loads of positivity. X

And you flower x 

On 27 June 2018 at 21:25, Emsie said:

I'm still doing the above and I'm finding that (at the moment), the frequency of my fears/thoughts is declining. It's not been a clean sheet, but when I've buckled and performed my compulsions, I've been able to dust myself off and start afresh the next day.

I had a major blip yesterday evening and I thought it would spill in to today, but it didn't. I feel in a better place. It's also giving me the strength and motivation to tackle other compulsions that I have that have become habitual, e.g. checking doors etc. 

I am in CBT at the moment and I feel that it's now sinking in. This coupled with Caramoole's great advice on this thread has allowed me to have the strength to do this. Also, I found this thread so powerful, so a huge thank you to Ashley and to Caramoole for resurrecting it. I'd had enough and it was time to change.

It's amazing how resisting your compulsions can make you feel so much more stronger. I know I've got a long way to go, but I'm so hopeful. Give it a go guys, make the decision to change. This time last week I made that decision and it's been a god send. I've always wanted to change, but I feel last week that I actually made a commitment. 

Love to you all. X

Hi everyone, the above is what I wrote a few days ago. Unfortunately, I've had a bad couple of days. One of my OCD themes is my health and its reared badly again. I've been googling loads, I know too much as a result and I've been ruminating and checking various parts of my body lots as I have a few health fears. The googling was secondary to the checking but then when I find out more possibilities of conditions the checking becomes secondary. Sometimes I just check my body but I haven't googled on that particular health fear. The checking my body and googling has sent me in to feeling really anxious and low. As it's the weekend, I was able to go back to bed this morning and as I knew, that hasn't helped. I keep ruminating and I keep thinking about if I need to go to the doctors. When I read things on Google, I can relate some of the symptoms to myself and make those connections and then I fear I have these conditions/diseases. I keep reading until I feel better, as in I've read something that helps me/reassures me and then I think more, read more and then find something on Google that sets me off again.

So why am I writing this? Well, I just want to get it out as I can't tell anyone in my life, namely my husband as it would lead to reassurance seeking and we have a little girl so I can't do that in front of her. So, I just wanted to get it out and share that I'm feeling so bad.

BUT also, I know that I need to start again and put this behind me, so I want to tell someone here that I'm not going to google anymore and I'll sit with the anxiety. I'm not going to check my body anymore either. The urges will be strong at times, but I've just got to allow this to become not so important in my mind and allow it to settle. 

I'm still 'hiding' upstairs, so my first step will be to go downstairs and act that I'm ok. 

Thank you for reading. X

Guest OCDhavenobrain

You need to stop googling! Put up goals to not google for X hours and go and do something else. Do that now, leave your computer.

Do not tell anyone that you are googling. Do not speak about your health to them

Do this NOW and put up a plan for the future afterwards

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

Thank you OCDhavenobrain.

I had stopped googling and I will try my hardest to continue that in the future when the next fear arrives. 

My health fears, which are varied, are as a result of googling. I didn’t know about any of these conditions before googling, I always can relate things to myself and make links. And you can’t tell anything from a description on a website and other websites that say something different about the same disease. 

Many non serious conditions have symptoms that overlap with the serious ones. I of course think the worst and in the past I’ve been to the doctors on numerous occasions and been reassured etc. 

I’ve had this as a theme for a long time but it waxes and wanes. 

It’s the constant checking (on google/my body etc) to be sure that I’m ok that’s the nightmare at the moment and around and around I go. But, I’ve stopped since I first posted today. 

Edited by Emsie

I don't want to derail the positive spin on this post but I'm getting the feeling I may just have too many issues to fix,I feel I have a thousand problems with no solutions it's quite overwhelming! 

32 minutes ago, bruces said:

I don't want to derail the positive spin on this post but I'm getting the feeling I may just have too many issues to fix,I feel I have a thousand problems with no solutions it's quite overwhelming! 

Just start with one, a more straight forward one to fix. You could tell us what it is if you can’t think of the solution and we can help you. The more you do the more willing you’ll be. Think how good you’ll feel for tackling something you’d like to change. 

Edited by Emsie
4 hours ago, bruces said:

I'd love to be able to undo all the damage I've done,guilt is a great weight to carry! 

This is the sticking point in your thinking Bruce. The only solution you will consider is 'undoing the damage' which leaves you only two choices, turn the clock back (impossible) or stay stuck. 

But you don't need to undo anything to overcome guilt. :no: 

Get your head around that fact and maybe we can start to make some progress. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain

To me it seems like you are depressed Bruces or it could be that you just are a huge pessimist but i think you are depressed. And maybe you could get help with that. 

Beside that there won't be any change if you don't make it happen.

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Being a pessimist won't benefit you when it comes to recovering. You don't need to be an optimist to overcome OCD but there are some things which you need to fake if this is the case. I assume this because it is said that pessimist and optimist is how a person is, so i just assume we assume it can't be changed. 

I met a window-cleaner today who you might think had reason to be unhappy, toiling away in the hot sun all day, doing the same thing over and over, day in day out. 

But he was singing and smiling, and I commented on how happy he seemed. 

"I am happy he said ; I am always happy. I make it my business to be happy!" 

And nowadays, so do I. Difficulties are sent to try us, problems occur to challenge us. 

But, like that window-cleaner, we need not let them defeat us. 

We can learn how not to worry. I have. 

We can learn problem-solving skills - I have done that too. 

And we can learn how our OCD works, and use CBT methods to challenge it and change our responses. 

And we must shake off the cloak of guilt. Generally we sufferers are confronted with large dollops of guilt - in my case it came because of how horrible it was for my wife when I was struggling with severe OCD for weeks on end. 

But in therapy I learned to leave that guilt behind, tackle my OCD, and that way I could repay my wife for all her kindness and consideration. 

Committing to applying CBT principles and breaking free from OCD and the guilt that comes with it is the way forward bruces. 

Edited by taurean

I really do t know I have so much to be grateful for but just can't see it,I feel at my age I may have done everything I want to,I can't seem to even fake a smile,I just don't know what to do :( 

My wife is very happy just around the home. Little things please her greatly,and when we both had little we were still happy. 

There are three things we consider the most important elements, and having some of these helps. 

To be warm 

To be watered and fed 

To be loved or cared about, or both. 

We reckon that If we have these things then we have the basics needed to be happy. 

On those occasions when one of us is a little down, we look to achieve just a small amount, something that will appear on the credit, not the debit, side of life. 

This is a really powerful concept - for achieving only that is still achieving, and forms the basis on which more good can be built.