New OCD Book Club - June - Pulling the Trigger

On 20/06/2018 at 00:27, Orwell1984 said:
On 16/06/2018 at 14:27, taurean said:

The OCD Workbook - Your Guide To Breaking Free From OCD"  by Bruce Hyman and Cherry Pedrick. 

This book drove me round the bend in analytical knots. Very bad book for me anyway.

I'm glad it's not just me! It really did my head in trying to understand it and apply it to my situation. I gave up in despair.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 08:31, gingerbreadgirl said:

hey guys,

how do you feel about the next book being Brain Lock? This is a common one that people turn to when they're first suffering with OCD and might be good to have a think about? 

Sorry I have let this slide, but I am open to Brain Lock (new version?)

• 2 weeks later...

I read the original book, and have the revised version but have only read parts of it, some of where there are revisions over the original (which was written some 20 years ago I think).

The concept within the book does evoke debate.

Edited by taurean

But actually it is an important part of the overall whole that helped me shift away from those dreadful constantly-repeating intrusions - it was the first time I was given a real understanding of what caused that to happen - and gave me belief that at some stage I might find the missing links to stopping them - which I now have, at least for the time being. 

It's a book that has sold well. So maybe, like for me, it resonates sufficiently well with readers, and those in a position to recommend it, in order to achieve that.

That's very true Roy it has helped many. It also helped me a lot in the beginning. I think it is a good first step out of the nightmare of ocd but ultimately I don't think it is a good long term strategy for many people, as it is basically distracting and telling yourself 'it's not real, it's ocd' - whereas I think it's important to be able to sit with the doubt, the possibility that the thoughts ARE real, rather than doing what amounts to self reassurance. 

19 hours ago, taurean said:

I read the original book, and have the revised version but have only read parts of it, some of where there are revisions over the original (which was written some 20 years ago I think).

The concept within the book does evoke debate.

Sorry....I meant Pulling The Trigger.  

• Ashley unpinned this topic