First groinal response

Hi 

Sorry for the detail but I have an assessment with Time to Talk today and I'm so nervous. I heard my parents have sex last night (awkward) and experienced a groinal response and then panicked immediately and started crying... I know it's 1000% not arousal but I'm scared to tell them about it..

Like petrified 

Advice?

Hi, I am not sure exactly what you mean by groibnal response but I'm pretty sure I used to, and sometimes still do feel it. Basically, the sight of a kid or an attractive woman would make me instantly focus on my groinal area to check for arousal, which the OCD would then say I'm a pervert or unfaithful and so on

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

Hi, I am not sure exactly what you mean by groibnal response but I'm pretty sure I used to, and sometimes still do feel it. Basically, the sight of a kid or an attractive woman would make me instantly focus on my groinal area to check for arousal, which the OCD would then say I'm a pervert or unfaithful and so on

Yeah that's it...

58 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

so that means it's your OCD checking response. Not you being aroused or anything. 

I was definitely not aroused, I just felt something and immediately panicked and cried, however I knew it meant nothing, I'm worried the response I will get today :(

57 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

It's just an empty OCD response, no meaning, no need to worry. It's exactly the same as coughing being a symptom having the flu. 

I hope the doctor sees it as that also... I don't feel it meant anything at all

Its classic OCD, I have had them too in the past. Checking for arousal was a compulsion, it means nothing. A trained OCD professional will know all about them.

Try not to worry. 

1 hour ago, Avo said:

Its classic OCD, I have had them too in the past. Checking for arousal was a compulsion, it means nothing. A trained OCD professional will know all about them.

Try not to worry. 

Thank you so much Avo

Hdc,

That's ocd for you. I recall hearing same thing when younger and it's not a great feeling let alone combined with ocd it will create worst fears. The groinal response just adds to the fuel. Distract, reflect and let it float around. Means nothing despite you attributing meaning to it which we all do. So in isolation anyone would be weirded out at hearing that but add ocd and bang you're up for it with folks, apparently ? which you know is total balls. Physical reactions are well documented and can arise in any situation.

It's ocd so treat it same way.

Good luck and get some earplugs ?

1 hour ago, njb said:

Hdc,

That's ocd for you. I recall hearing same thing when younger and it's not a great feeling let alone combined with ocd it will create worst fears. The groinal response just adds to the fuel. Distract, reflect and let it float around. Means nothing despite you attributing meaning to it which we all do. So in isolation anyone would be weirded out at hearing that but add ocd and bang you're up for it with folks, apparently ? which you know is total balls. Physical reactions are well documented and can arise in any situation.

It's ocd so treat it same way.

Good luck and get some earplugs ?

Had the assessment and he pretty much said the same.... total balls, I'm obviously upset and it's obviously unwanted... phew 

1 hour ago, PolarBear said:

Now stop analyzing it. Leave it alone. Think, 'whatever'. It's no big deal so get on with your day.

Thank you Polar Bear... the real trick to OCD is do nothing? 

2 hours ago, HDC said:

the real trick to OCD is do nothing? 

Well, yes and no. The correct management is to not respond by not getting caught up in the idea that it means something. 

If you carry on telling yourself 'this is happening therefore [it means] I must be aroused' etc. then doing nothing will always be tricky.

Accept the fear is exists only in response to you giving it meaning when actually it means nothing of the sort and  'doing nothing' becomes much easier. :) 

1 hour ago, snowbear said:

Well, yes and no. The correct management is to not respond by not getting caught up in the idea that it means something. 

If you carry on telling yourself 'this is happening therefore [it means] I must be aroused' etc. then doing nothing will always be tricky.

Accept the fear is exists only in response to you giving it meaning when actually it means nothing of the sort and  'doing nothing' becomes much easier. :) 

So it's the meaning I give it that's the problem... I've been worrying about it a little today because I can still kind of notice the feeling in my groin... but telling myself it's okay, And I won't notice it soon I hope

42 minutes ago, HDC said:

So it's the meaning I give it that's the problem...

:yes: :yes: :yes: 

Everybody with OCD - whatever their theme - should print this in big gold letters across their forehead. :) 

1 hour ago, snowbear said:

:yes: :yes: :yes: 

Everybody with OCD - whatever their theme - should print this in big gold letters across their forehead. :) 

Does this mean I can dismiss the anxiety surrounding feeling the response in my groin pretty much half the day (or noticing it for half the day) like it's an intrusive thought and means nothing?

12 hours ago, paradoxer said:

Absolutely, why respond to nonsense? 

Very true... the feeling is still there today but I think it's because I'm worrying about it and checking if it's gone or not... thoughts are in and out so doing my best with those, and I had a strange dream last night about an innappropiately sexual activity and I woke up already feeling strange so. I was worrying about it within my own dream... but I'm doing my best to treat it all as OCD! ?? we are so strong!

21 minutes ago, HDC said:

Very true... the feeling is still there today but I think it's because I'm worrying about it and checking if it's gone or not... thoughts are in and out so doing my best with those, and I had a strange dream last night about an innappropiately sexual activity and I woke up already feeling strange so. I was worrying about it within my own dream... but I'm doing my best to treat it all as OCD! ?? we are so strong!

Keep up the good work. The step to beating the time-wasting stupid disorder is often easier than we realize. Take away the deference, the fear, and OCD just limps away unloved! Poor OCD! :;

27 minutes ago, HDC said:

Posted a response.